Pick a new car for my mom

Jacobfox

Car(s)
VW GTI 4-Door (MKVI)
My parents have decided that the S6 is a bit too much car for my mom and that it doesn't really make sense for her to drive a car that gets like 12 mpg when she's just driving it to work.

SO it's new car time. The criteria she's looking for are:
1. It has to be more fuel efficient than the S6. Significantly so.
2. She's looking for a wagon or an SUV. I might be able to talk her into a sedan, but unlikely.
3. It has to be available in the US, specifically in CA. So, sorry guys, no 335d wagon (believe me, I looked hard for that one).
4. It should be a good drive (more for me and my dad than for her).

I think the front-runner ATM is the Audi A4 Avant 2.0T S-line. I'm working on trying to get my dad to consider the new S4 Avant, though. I think that's feasible.

So have at it, guys! Pick my mom's new car.

Audi A5 Sportback 2.0T or 3.0D? :)

range rover tdv8

My parents have decided that the S6 is a bit too much car for my mom and that it doesn't really make sense for her to drive a car that gets like 12 mpg when she's just driving it to work.

SO it's new car time. The criteria she's looking for are:
1. It has to be more fuel efficient than the S6. Significantly so.
2. She's looking for a wagon or an SUV. I might be able to talk her into a sedan, but unlikely.
3. It has to be available in the US, specifically in CA. So, sorry guys, no 335d wagon (believe me, I looked hard for that one).
4. It should be a good drive (more for me and my dad than for her).

I think the front-runner ATM is the Audi A4 Avant 2.0T S-line. I'm working on trying to get my dad to consider the new S4 Avant, though. I think that's feasible.

So have at it, guys! Pick my mom's new car.

You can still get Merc E-class wagons in California, they're just not diesel.

And don't get an X-Type wagon. Dealerships are practically giving away new leftover cars (from as far back as 07!) but they're emphatically not worth it.

Land Rover imports no diesels to the US, and the California government hates diesels with a purple passion.

Last edited:
Budget?

V70
XC60
XC70

I would get a new Land Rover personally, but Land Rovers don't have the best reliability. The drive train should be solid, but the electronics might be iffy.

Oh and please remove your parents' cars from your profile. It is annoying.

Budget?

V70
XC60
XC70

The XC60 is horrible, and judging by the fact that his parents own a Ferrari, budget shouldn't be that big a deal. Personally I think the S4 avant is an excellent option. :)

And don't get an X-Type wagon. Dealerships are practically giving away new leftover cars (from as far back as 07!) but they're emphatically not worth it.

I did not know they made wagons of them.:|

I googled a picture I wish I still didn't :sick:

Lolvo, Subaru and Audi do wagons pretty well. The Lolvo's won't be "good" to drive, but the V70 will give you lots of space, good interior, and good ride. If you want less luxury, Subaru has the new Outback. If you want more performance and even less luxury, there is always the WRX hatchback. Though, overall, the S4 Avant is probably your best bet, but I didn't think they were being sold in the US just yet?

A fully loaded XC70 could be on the shortlist and you could make a credible case for a regular A6 estate.

I did not know they made wagons of them.:|

I googled a picture I wish I still didn't :sick:

There really is no good way to make the classic Jaguar sedan design language work well as a wagon. Which is no bad thing, in my book.

That said... the coupes can and have been adapted to be some of the most sinister station wagons/shooting brakes ever made.

Lynx_eventer%203.jpg

Last edited:
The XC60 is horrible, and judging by the fact that his parents own a Ferrari, budget shouldn't be that big a deal. Personally I think the S4 avant is an excellent option. :)
It's not horrible, it fits american roads much better than a Q5 or X3 which has no suspension travel whatsoever. But if money is no object, buy a MB Kombi.

[after checking MB USA]
They don't appear to sell those in America! :lol: FAIL :lol:

^ :lmao:

why don't you consider a VW Passat wagon R36?

Or to be totally stupid the VW Van Porsche gt2 conversion :twisted:

Prius bad.

Seems like you guys were thinking roughly along the same lines as I was. We looked a bit at the Q5, my grandparents have one and they really like it, but I think she's going more towards a wagon than an SUV. The X6 is a definite no, as the whole point of this was to find a relatively practical but still fun car. I like the idea of the Passat r36, but I don't know if they sell it here in the US.