• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Pigs are flying - I'm using Firefox

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
This post, ladies and gentlemen, was made by me using FireFox.

Never though I'd see the day, but I think I'm a convert now.

Few things I dislike/am missing so far.

• The vertical text indicator thing (shows where you're typing) is like almost on top of the last character you typed. It'd be nice if it was a pixel or two to the right.
  • I loved my ieSpell plugin for IE. Hopefully there's something similiar for Firefox
  • Form boxes here on the forum show up a little weird, same goes for the buttons
  • I can't figure out how to remove items from the search box in the upper-right - i.e. I don't care about Creative Commons
  • I liked in IE how when you used the scroll wheel, it'd scroll whatever your mouse was over. i.e. while I'm typing this, a form box is currently selected. No matter where I scroll my mouse wheel, it'll scroll the box. I liked in IE how if my mouse was in the box, it'd scroll the box, but if my mouse was elsewhere on the page, it'd scroll the page
Things I like about it so far / reasons I switched:

Re: Pigs are flying - I'm using Firefox

Viper007Bond said:
This post, ladies and gentlemen, was made by me using FireFox.

Never though I'd see the day, but I think I'm a convert now.

Few things I dislike/am missing so far.

• The vertical text indicator thing (shows where you're typing) is like almost on top of the last character you typed. It'd be nice if it was a pixel or two to the right.
  • I loved my ieSpell plugin for IE. Hopefully there's something similiar for Firefox
  • Form boxes here on the forum show up a little weird, same goes for the buttons
  • I can't figure out how to remove items from the search box in the upper-right - i.e. I don't care about Creative Commons
  • I liked in IE how when you used the scroll wheel, it'd scroll whatever your mouse was over. i.e. while I'm typing this, a form box is currently selected. No matter where I scroll my mouse wheel, it'll scroll the box. I liked in IE how if my mouse was in the box, it'd scroll the box, but if my mouse was elsewhere on the page, it'd scroll the page
A. check http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/ for extensions.
B. how should they be positoned then?
C. click on the icons and set it to google. if you're on a page and you want to google, press ctrl-t, press TAB, enter your phrase and press enter...
D. just click once to select the part your mouse is over. i dont notice i have to do that ;)

and one free tip: if you're searching for a word on a page: press "/" and start typing.

Re: Pigs are flying - I'm using Firefox

Viper007Bond said:
The vertical text indicator thing (shows where you're typing) is like almost on top of the last character you typed. It'd be nice if it was a pixel or two to the right.
Can't say I had noticed that until now. :lol:
I think what you're talking about is called a caret.
Don't know how to fix the problem, but if you hit the down arrow, it seems to space itself a bit better (temporarily).

Viper007Bond said:
I loved my ieSpell plugin for IE. Hopefully there's something similiar for Firefox
I dun't cere aboot zpellink, becuz I'm purrfict, zo I gaven't uzed it, but try:
http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/install

Viper007Bond said:
I can't figure out how to remove items from the search box in the upper-right - i.e. I don't care about Creative Commons
Don't know how to do it through the UI, but if you go to C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox\searchplugins, you'll find files for the different seach engines there, you can rid of the ones you want by deleting those files.
Note that moving to a subdirectory does not work.

Lol, was my post picture help you convince you to try our FireFox? (or other infulence)

U made the right choice :D, IE/microsoft sucks... Another nice feature with Firefox is Ctrl + T. It opens a new window within Firefox (on the same TAB on the taskbar).

I had been using Maxthon, so I'm already used to tabs, aliases, mouse gestures, all that good stuff, but the security + that web dev tool made me switch. I'm more than for using this browser assuming I can set it up how I had Maxthon.

just a quick question abt firefox... I can never "quote highlighted text" with firefox anymore... does anyone else have the same problem? or maybe it is because I'm using the touchpad on my laptop

andyhui01 said:
just a quick question abt firefox... I can never "quote highlighted text" with firefox anymore... does anyone else have the same problem? or maybe it is because I'm using the touchpad on my laptop

Never used this tool, so not sure.

And you can middle click to open links in new tabs, and middle click on tabs to close them. ;)
Since you're running Firefox now, you have to d/l Adblock. :thumbsup:

chaos386 said:
And you can middle click to open links in new tabs, and middle click on tabs to close them. ;)
Since you're running Firefox now, you have to d/l Adblock. :thumbsup:
Already have it. :thumbup:

I'm using MyIE2 (previous version of maxthon) and there's one feature that I can't live without now. When you select any text, and drag it in any direction, it opens new tab and inserts that text as URL. So if you selected any URL it opens in new tab. If you select some word or phrase it makes google search with that text in new tab. If you drag any image while holding ctrl, it saves the image in previosly specified folder.
If all this is possible in Firefox, I'm ready to use it. For now I just check my gmail with it :)

Chade said:
In Firefox, you can select any text and choose "Search web for..." in right click menu...
As for the rest... I wouldn't be surprised if there's some extension that does all that... ;)
There's an extension that adds "Dictionary search for..." to the right-click context menu, too. :thumbup: