Pizza!

lol, those are the best!

i always aks for one with "a bit of everything"
I'm baffled by people who order pizza without anything on it. You're not ordering pizza, you're ordering a sandwich with cheese on it! Weird people. Almost as weird as the ones who put fries on the pizza. That's going too far. The middle ground, lagom, is where it's at.

I'm baffled by people who order pizza without anything on it. You're not ordering pizza, you're ordering a sandwich with cheese on it! Weird people. Almost as weird as the ones who put fries on the pizza. That's going too far. The middle ground, lagom, is where it's at.

If it's a really thin crispy base, it can be really good. Order a plain slice in New York - that's what you get and it's fantastic!

I agree. There's a lot to be said for pizza that does its simple job well. I like relatively few things on my pizza, usually just onions and peppers, or maybe artichoke hearts. I don't eat meat with milk so it limits my choices a lot, but i'm still satisfied.

wot? you don't eat milk with meat? what type of religion has that rule???

Nom. Pepperoni, onions, shrooms and buffalo mozzarella. MWF's tomato sauce with my own twist - a good splosh of red wine and a splash of balsamic vinegar. The really sticky, sweet stuff.

I went to the local dirty hippy joint for a calzone
xyw8t.jpg

the box amuses me

guGlL.jpg

basil ricotta, whole milk mozz and lamb-sausage..tasty.

A proper napolitana needs nothing else really.

A proper napolitana needs nothing else really.

I would say I agree with the concept that a proper pizza doesn?t need more than three ingredients beside the tomato sauce.

So... dough, cheese, and one topping? :tease:
:lol:
Alright, alright, no more than three toppings!
Altough dough, tomato sauce and cheese are enough. :D

Sometimes, even the tomato sauce is optional.

I would say I agree with the concept that a proper pizza doesn?t need more than three ingredients beside the tomato sauce.

You don't really even need tomato sauce on a pizza, depending on your toppings. My favourite combination right now is a thin crust basted with a 50/50 mix of olive and grapeseed oil, topped with caramelised white onions and red peppers and sauteed portobello mushrooms, with finely grated parmigiano reggiano cheese (the real stuff, not fake parmesan cheese) on top.

Also, if you're having trouble cooking your pizza crusts, you're either heaping too much stuff on them or not cooking them at the proper temperature. If you're cooking a thin crust, you want your oven to be as hot as it can get; ideally, above 500 degrees F (260 C) - good commercial pizza ovens at proper restaurants can cook at over 700F (370 C), so there really isn't such as thing as too hot when cooking a pizza. For a thicker crust, you want to use a lower temperature for a longer period of time, but no lower than 450 F (225 C). Another thing I've learned is that cornmeal is a very good release agent, regardless if you use stones or pans.

Last edited:
NEVER wash a muschroom!!!
rub it with a dry brush

You don't really even need tomato sauce on a pizza, depending on your toppings. My favourite combination right now is a thin crust basted with a 50/50 mix of olive and grapeseed oil, topped with caramelised white onions and red peppers and sauteed portobello mushrooms, with finely grated parmigiano reggiano cheese (the real stuff, not fake parmesan cheese) on top.

I respectfully have to say, I don't see this as pizza at all, and the ingredients and the way you use them make me think of a 'haute cuisine' version of pizza but that's really not related...

So... dough, cheese, and one topping? :tease:

Yes, this is true pizza. As it was eaten in the beginning, bread and tomato sauce. The optional part are the toppings, actually. And I keep saying many of you go way, way overboard with the amount of stuff you load your pizzas with. Tastes can't be argued but, in my view, many of the recipes here are just dishes in which the plate is made out of dough and you just happen to eat it too.

Last edited:
Went to new pizza place downtown, pretty decent thin crust style pies

6363424899_21c29a181e_z.jpg

VONGOLE manila clams, garlic, parsley, mozzarella

6363421029_8859f4e892_z.jpg

SOPRESSATA mozzarella, fresno chili, tomato, scallions

6363416717_519a958e1d_z.jpg

SALSICCIA fennel sausage, caramelized onions, tomato, mozzarella

6363412199_aafaf45cc3_z.jpg

SCIMMIETTA smoked bacon, pumpkin, goat cheese

I suppose this is relevant:
[video=youtube;XWIJNaA-JNA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XWIJNaA-JNA[/video]

I must attempt this the next time I have some leftover pizza.

I?ve been doing this for ages...works great! :)

I respectfully have to say, I don't see this as pizza at all, and the ingredients and the way you use them make me think of a 'haute cuisine' version of pizza but that's really not related...

There are lots of local variations of pizza all over Italy, some with tomatoes (in one form or another), some without. We've grown accustomed to the myriad derivatives of Neapolitan-style pizza; that being marinara, cheese and basil.