Plan Viper Part 2: Wait longer or pull the trigger?

Plan Viper Part 2: Wait longer or pull the trigger?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few suggestions from a Viper owner:

- If it has the original Michelin Pilot Sport run flat tires, change them immediately. They are rolling death on the car.

- If it has the newer Pilot Sport 2s, they're great on the car but expect them to grind off very quickly. The newer Pilot Super Sports last much longer and grip almost as well as a Pilot Cup. Be prepared for 345 mm tire sticker shock, though. :)

- I highly recommend installing the B&M short shifter. With the stock shifter, it is VERY easy to miss shifts, often in an unpleasant direction (3rd to 2nd instead of 4th, 5th to 4th instead of 6th) which will result in a spin and/or grenaded engine. The B&M really makes it easier to drive quickly.

- If you don't do something with the shifter right away, an old viper trick for avoiding mis-shifts is as follows: For gears 1-3, position your hand "thumb up" with the plam of your hand on the right side of the shifter. For gears 4-6, rotate your hand counter-clockwise to a "thumb down" position with your palm on the left side.

- If the car doesn't come with a spare key, have one made immediately as should you ever lock your keys in the trunk, the only way to open it is with the fob or another key.

- Make certain the seal along the top of the windshield has not been damaged. It is very common for passengers to grab the top of the windshield while getting out of the car and damaging the seal, which can lead to water entering the car during heavy rain.

- If you clearbra the car to prevent rock chips, do not put any on the rocker panels. They get so hot it'll melt.

- For the same reason, be very careful getting out when hot if wearing shorts, else you'll get "snake bit".

- A 170 degree thermostat is highly recommended. In hot weather they perform MUCH better at speed with a lower water temperature.

- Some manner of nose guard is a good idea. Either several layers of clearbra or one of the aluminum versions that are on the market.

- The StopTech 2-piece brake rotors from the ACR are a very worthwhile upgrade. The stock brakes are very good, but you can cook them if you really give it the beans on a track. Vipers driven in anger also seem to like EBC Yellowstuff pads the best. (I've tried everything).

- The K&N Typhoon filter kit should be your second mod (after the short shifter). It REALLY wakes the car up on the top end. Not that it's slow by any means, but more is better. :)

Last edited:
A few suggestions from a Viper owner:

Cool. What year, etc? You should make a thread in the "Post Your Car" section. :)

- If it has the original Michelin Pilot Sport run flat tires, change them immediately. They are rolling death on the car.

- If it has the newer Pilot Sport 2s, they're great on the car but expect them to grind off very quickly. The newer Pilot Super Sports last much longer and grip almost as well as a Pilot Cup. Be prepared for 345 mm tire sticker shock, though. :)

Getting a 4th gen (2008) so no run flats for me. I've seen the tire prices on TireRack and yeah, I won't be in a hurry to run through them. :eek:

- I highly recommend installing the B&M short shifter. With the stock shifter, it is VERY easy to miss shifts, often in an unpleasant direction (3rd to 2nd instead of 4th, 5th to 4th instead of 6th) which will result in a spin and/or grenaded engine. The B&M really makes it easier to drive quickly.

- If you don't do something with the shifter right away, an old viper trick for avoiding mis-shifts is as follows: For gears 1-3, position your hand "thumb up" with the plam of your hand on the right side of the shifter. For gears 4-6, rotate your hand counter-clockwise to a "thumb down" position with your palm on the left side.

Good to know, thanks.

- If the car doesn't come with a spare key, have one made immediately as should you ever lock your keys in the trunk, the only way to open it is with the fob or another key.

I locked my Mustang's single key inside of it while it was running once. I know the horrors of a single key so I'll be making sure I have at least 2.

- Make certain the seal along the top of the windshield has not been damaged. It is very common for passengers to grab the top of the windshield while getting out of the car and damaging the seal, which can lead to water entering the car during heavy rain.

Buying the car mostly sight unseen (just had a dealer inspection) but I'll make sure to check that out.

- If you clearbra the car to prevent rock chips, do not put any on the rocker panels. They get so hot it'll melt.

Do you recommend a clear bra for it?

- For the same reason, be very careful getting out when hot if wearing shorts, else you'll get "snake bit".

- A 170 degree thermostat is highly recommended. In hot weather they perform MUCH better at speed with a lower water temperature.

It doesn't get that hot in Oregon. Over 100F only a few times a year.

- Some manner of nose guard is a good idea. Either several layers of clearbra or one of the aluminum versions that are on the market.

- The StopTech 2-piece brake rotors from the ACR are a very worthwhile upgrade. The stock brakes are very good, but you can cook them if you really give it the beans on a track. Vipers driven in anger also seem to like EBC Yellowstuff pads the best. (I've tried everything).

- The K&N Typhoon filter kit should be your second mod (after the short shifter). It REALLY wakes the car up on the top end. Not that it's slow by any means, but more is better. :)

I don't plan on tracking it. Maybe a track day or something but nothing too serious. At least for now... :)

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:
Cool. What year, etc? You should make a thread in the "Post Your Car" section. :)

06 with some boost. I generally keep the cars on the low-down, though. :)

Buying the car mostly sight unseen (just had a dealer inspection) but I'll make sure to check that out.

They're pretty bomb proof mechanically, the seal in question is about the only thing I've ever seen break on them.

Do you recommend a clear bra for it?

Yup. Especially on the top of the trunk surface, that area collects rocks.

It doesn't get that hot in Oregon. Over 100F only a few times a year.

Doesn't matter much what the ambient temp is. The stock thermostat opens at around 200 degrees, largely for emissions reasons. Lower it some and the engine is happier.

Oh, also, with regards to shipping cars (I do this a lot) if you're not married to Intercity, I can recommend PlyCar, they do really great work. Whoever you go with, see if someone can extensively photograph the car for you prior to shipment, including all panels, wheels, under the nose, and the diffuser strakes. It will make any issues (knock on wood) much easier to deal with.

06 with some boost. I generally keep the cars on the low-down, though. :)

They're pretty bomb proof mechanically, the seal in question is about the only thing I've ever seen break on them.

WOW! I had no idea! Impressive.

I spent over an hour at the bank this evening signing paperwork. My auto loan process is now complete! Woo!

They're overnighting the cashier's check to the seller tomorrow, she should have it Friday. Once it clears, then I arrange shipping!

Soon my precious, soon...

Do you have any photos other than the ones that were in the listing?

Do you have any photos other than the ones that were in the listing?

Nope. Going to ask for some high res all-sides ones though before the shipper picks it up, just to prove there's no scratches or anything incase it's damaged in transit.

You do realise that you're going to get out-of-focus closeups taken from an iphone, right? :p

Check cleared! The car is MINE! Booked shipping this evening, but after their business hours. I assume I'll get a call tomorrow (today) once they receive my quote and then I'll know an ETA. :)

Last edited:
Awesome! Congrats Viper! :clap:

haha.. so many things keep delaying this. I hope you get it soon..

Tell me about it! I won the eBay auction just under a month ago!

At this rate you will be driving it in the fall......... :cry:

The delays are merely God saving your life by not letting you drive the car until spring. :D Congrats, brodawg.

Status
Not open for further replies.