Planning To Get A Used Car

The previous Accord had some problems with build quality and the gearbox.. probably best to avoid it.

What's stopping you from getting an old Jaguar XJ? They are reliable, second only to Lexus. And you can get one for about the same as a dull old Honda.

Jags are notorious for wiring issues, so be sure to check all electronics before getting the XJ - which is a really good car for the money.

get a used Mazda6i or a Ford Fusion I-4 then. they both handle better than the Accord, they're both 4 cylinders, and at least on the ford fusion/mercury milan side, they are at the same quality levels as both the accord and camry. I love the handling on the Fusion, and if you're tempted, the V6 version with the 6-speed auto pwns. Quiky was actually looking at one but only opted not to because it wasnt in his budget.

Notice how hard i am trying to steer you away from a camcord? that might be a warning...

Why are you trying do hard to steer me away from an Accord? Is it not a good car? It is because it isn't "fun"? If that's the case, then "fun" isn't what I'm really looking for. I'm looking for reliability, fuel economy, comfort, and practicality.

And why would I get a Jag XJ when it has a 4-liter V8? I am looking for fuel economy.

Last edited:
hehe, yeah. I drove an 07 and an 06 demo model side by side when i still had my max and the 07s just came out. I personally felt like the 5AT in the 06 was much much rougher than my 4AT, probably thanks to more cogs to change combined with the driving style/type. but the 07 with the CVT was pure silk. I was frankly surprised at how well-tuned it was to avoid the "motorboat" syndrome that is apparent in other CVT-equipped vehicles. I would venture to say it was even better than my cousin's Murano. now that the 03's gone, I meander down the highway in this Crown Vic, making payments, and trying to squeeze better fuel economy for it. at this point though, I am HIGHLY interested in the 09 when it hits the showrooms in a month or two. Are you as antsy as me to try out what nissan has done to "return it to it's 4DSC heritage" ? :D

[BTW, I'm Maxim(a)SerjVQ over on the .org]

Oh yea, my dealer is supposed to call me as soon as the 09 gets in the door. A lengthly test drive is mandatory :D, since I've seen it in pictures it's only starting to grow more and more on me!

I've been seeing many 7th-gen Accords around and I just can't imagine myself driving it. I just can't get myself to like how it looks, especially at the back.

The 6th-gen, however, is a better looking car IMO. I saw a silver one yesterday with a spoiler and it looked pretty nice, especially from the side.

Also, there are many mentions of reliability problems with transmissions and body panels on the 7th-gen, while the 6th-gen has only minor problems.

Looks like the 6th-gen Accord (specifically 2001 or 2002) will be my final choice.

^ Looked at other left-field euro-mobiles? Saabs, and Volvos?

silly Ilpav....accords don't have generations.

I'm trying to save your immortal car-loving soul from the damnation of owning a car that cares not for your suffering within it's confines.

oh fuck it. im done. you come to a car enthusiast site, asking for advice on what used car to get to fill your needs, then you promptly ignore said advice when someone points out a car that manages to balance your needs with your implied wants. see you in hell.

m_weinerich; see you in a month or two vacuming our wallets out to NMAC :D

Ok Serj,

I'm going to explain again that the most important things I'm looking for in my next car is reliability and fuel efficiency. The cars you mentioned, all those Nissans, all have thirsty V6s and take premium fuel. Also, those cars you mentioned may be faster than a 4-cyl Accord, but they also have worse build quality and reliability. I checked JD Power ratings for Accords and they all have high marks in initial quality, but they don't score too high on styling. I don't care. The 6th-gen Accord is an alright-looking car to me.

And if you can't get that through your thick fucking head, then I don't know what to do. I appreciate the advice you gave me, but I'm just not agreeing with you. Again, I don't really care about performance, as long as it has decent acceleration and decent handling, but most of all it should be reliable and fuel-efficient. Those cars you mentioned don't meet my needs.

@Homer_Bart: No, I'm not considering Saabs or Volvos because they're unreliable.

Last edited:
Accord is a fine choice by my standards.

I've gotten a ride in a 2004 Civic sedan the other day, and I quite liked it. The ride was sporty, but not uncomfortable. It was also pretty quick for only having 115 hp. I think it has a real chance to be my next car. Plus, the 2004 was the face-lifted version and it looked quite a lot better than the 2001-2003 one.

2001-2003
100_2714.jpg

2004-2005
DCP_5889.jpg

After my little ride in it, I thought and realized that, right, I don't need an (ugly) Accord or any mid size; I'm not an old man with children and I don't need a car with a very comfy ride and a lot of space. The Civic had enough space for me and I'm not what you call "small."

Compared to the Corolla I drove a few weeks back, it felt lighter and livelier and was just as quick, even though it has 15 hp and 15 lb-ft of torque less.

Compared to the Accord, it will be more reliable and cheaper to buy and cheaper on gas, obviously.

I think this choice is right because, it's a "sensible" car, but not too boring and ugly like the Accord I was planning to get.

So? What do you all think of my choice now?

You are aware that the most commonly stolen car in Canada and the US is the Honda Civic, right? Which means that in addition to having to worry if your car and all of its parts will be there in the morning (people like to steal parts off them), your insurance rate is going to be astronomical.

And it'll be less reliable than the Corolla.

You are aware that the most commonly stolen car in Canada and the US is the Honda Civic, right?

This, paired with...

The ride was sporty, but not uncomfortable. It was also pretty quick for only having 115 hp.

... The fact that I would never describe a Civic's ride as "sporty", I'd think twice about this car. I'm not saying you're wrong Ilpav, but my experiences in a Civic gave me the impression that the ride should only be referred to as "Adequate for locomotion" and that's all. Of course, that's in regard to the lower LX trim levels (I believe that's the lowest). Why not try picking up an SI/Type-R? Sorry, I haven't been following this thread much so I'm not sure if they fall into your price bracket.

Well, I don't live in an area where carjackings are common. And I don't visit those kinds of areas very often.

I got some insurance quotes for a 2004 Civic, a 2004 Corolla, and a 2004 Accord, just to compare.

Civic 4-door LX= $376.17/month
Corolla LE= $349.92/month
Accord EX= $342.25/month

It's pretty high, but a buddy of mine has a 2008 Altima 2.5 S and he pays over $700/month. He's only a couple of years older than me.

I checked cars.com JD Power Quality tests and I compared several cars. Between a 2004 Corolla and a 2004 Civic, the Corolla received higher marks on initial quality, but the Civic is rated higher in overall reliability.

I can get behind endorsing a civic. that insurance seems high though. what's the exchange rate these days?

get some wheel locks, and I really must emphasize you try one with a stick. you'll save more gas, a manual tranny is typically more reliable, and easier/cheaper to work on, AND have more fun. That, my friend, is a no lose situation. just keep the ricer spoilers, fart cans, and stickers away from it, kay? :)

If you like the Honda Civic, perhaps you might like to try the Mazda 3. I've done a few lengthy drives with them and couldn't find really anything to dislike, I actually enjoyed driving them. At my workplace all of our Mazda 3s haven't had any reliability issues unlike the Kias and my mom's friend owns a older one and that too doesn't seem to have any issues and he drives the thing hard.

Mazda3s aren't bad at all. They're based on the European Ford Focus chassis, which is loads better than the US focus. I did mention earlier though that imo, a good example of a Protoge5 would be best, as their handling is fantastic, the 2.0L DOHC has little, if any issues that i can remember, and being they're a little older, can usually be easier on the wallet. the counter-point is I'm pretty sure the civic is better on gas than either, but it's maybe 34 vs 37mpg on the highway...

the counter-point is I'm pretty sure the civic is better on gas than either, but it's maybe 34 vs 37mpg on the highway...

That's the winning argument. :D The Mazda Protege and 3 have midsize sedan consumption, and they're compacts.

No, I'm not gonna "rice it up" simply because I don't have time for it. I just want a car that's reliable, good on gas, and somewhat fun to drive. The Civic ticks all of those boxes, and it looks pretty nice too.

I guess the last thing to say is, do your own vehicle history research. Unfortunately theres a lot of bad used dealers in the GTA and often with misleading information and theres also quite a few curb-siders in Ontario who basically sell privately many cars that were insurance write-offs. If you have your own professional mechanic or garage that can do the inspection, you'll be in good shape.