PlayStation 3 YLOD fix help

Wan60

So, my friend's PS3 decided to die yesterday. Do you guys, and girls, have any suggestion, links, guides, tips, anything that could help him?

I'm guessing that your friend has the big PS3. This is a common problem with older units overheating. You can try applying new thermal grease to the two chips inside but it's only going to be a matter of time when the unit completely fails. The bigger units are out of warranty so might have to pay around $150-$170 to get it fixed from Sony.

My first bet would be overheating. With the help of Youtube, you can find some videos to help take the PS3 apart and clean it out really well. I've done that a few times to mine, the whole process is quite logical. If you are brave enough, even try separating the cooler from the board and replace the thermal paste. Much like working on a standard laptop or small PC.

The issue is with the solder between the chips loosening. I've read somewhere that you have to put it in an oven to have the solder melt again (temporary), so you have time to backup your files.

Wouldn't try it tho. :)