[Polar Challenge Special] July 25th, 2007

Sweet lord mother of god!! I just saw the first few minutes and stopped dead in my tracks!! The sleds were driven by Matty McNair!!! Holy crap. I know Matty McNair. Her son, Eric McNair Landry was my roommate in high school in canada. She runs a business called Northwinds (Look it up) up in Iqaluit.
This is awesome. I know someone on Top Gear!

Last edited:
We got alot of Toyota Artic Trucks here in Northern Norway, and i think there's a dealer somewhere around here...

i say again; its the best episode of all times its better then eny movie!:cry::heart:

That was a good episode, I know that I wouldn't last that trip.

Damn, what a phantastic cool piece of television entertainement. First the classic lack of discipline and seriousness during the rehearsals in Austria, and still going during the G&T-sipping start, but then the whole experience got real. Crawling painfully through boulder ice and driving while sleeping. Haha, that one was one of the best moments. The thin ice situation was really frightening. And funny at the same time. Result: Top Gear deluxe. Perfect.

animated-gold-star.gif
animated-gold-star.gif
animated-gold-star.gif
animated-gold-star.gif
animated-gold-star.gif

The London-Oslo race was my first and also best Top Gear enjoyment. This Arctic one was on the same level. My thanks to the BBC, the producers and the crew. And to Qicky with the HTTP-Download facility.

Greetings, lip

Last edited:
Nothing more can be said that hasnt been already. Great episode, Great show, Great fun

Did anyone else notice Jezza's trick with the seatbelt? You can see it when they are trying to clear the ice hills. He wraped it around the back of the seat and buckled it. I imagine he did it so that he wouldnt have to hear the annoying bong, which presumably is there to remind the british that they are in a car.

Love to the boys, can't wait for season 10. :)

Brilliant ... thats why I love TG ... does anybody know about the viewing figures for this episode?? I hope they were huge because the whole TG crew deserves it. Piece of art, this special was. Can not wait for 10 season ;)

First and foremost: This episode was absolutely breathtaking. It is definitely my favourite episode of top gear... ever. I have finally come to the realisation that this is a show that I would watch this show, regardless of whether it were about cars or not. The production quality, and the presentation quality, is absolutely the finest I have witnessed in my history with the old television set. Absolutely fantastic. To the TG crew, the WHOLE CREW who went out and did this for us, and those who worked back home, to present it to us, I thank you very VERY much.

About the race: I greatly wanted Richard to win this one, and I was rooting for him throughout, however, I am also of the opinion that James and Jeremy did NOT have it easy on them at all. To put into perspective the kind of people they are, and the amount of work they had to do relative to what they are generally used to, I think they all put in a stonking effort to achieve their goal. Congratulations to J & J, but echoing the thoughts of others on the board, the biggest winner here was Richard. I'm not one to get emotional and retrospective over things, but to do what he did, without even know much about what he was doing (that is, if Jezza really did teach him how to ski...) is simply remarkable.

On the modes of Transport: I actually kind of grew attached to those dogs, I love Siberian huskies, and watching the footage of those dogs really makes me want to get a husky (and I'm not a dog person either, I have a cat). Those dogs, though not the same as domesticated huskies, are quite amazing at what they can do. I really felt kind of bad for them when they got the beating (though they needed it) specially when I think back to the fact that the first bout of fighting between the dogs was because they were scared.

As far as the Toyota goes, I will be the first and foremost person to say that I absolutely hate absolutely ANYTHING Toyota (and Ferrari), however, I have always held in high regard, two of their vehicles: The Hilux, and the Land Cruiser. Albeit this was a highly modified Hilux (And why wouldn't it be? The stock vehicle is neither made nor tested for such harsh environments), it is simply staggering as to what this thing can be put through. I would say the Hilux is probably the most capable, and versatile workhorse of a truck that you could buy in the market, absolutely anywhere in the world. Looking at their UK site, they have a right to brag about their product. Absolutely stunning job.

I don't think there is any more I could say here, except that I applaud BBC's decision to air this episode in High Definition. Fantastic!

Absolutely amazing special. And can I just say extra huge kudos for Matty McNair!!!" Yes, the boys were absolutely fantastic (you'd almost start thinking Richard really is bionic :shock: ) but that woman (the one on the sled with Richard) does this kind of stuff for a living!

x2

I would have loved to hear more about her. Watching her paraskiing was mazing

Just wanted to echo on what the whole world seems to be saying about this episode... Seriously, I would have paid to see this in the cinema it was so good - absolutely the best episode by far, and I would unequivocally love to see more episodes or specials such as this one or their trip to America in S9. Don't get me wrong, I love some of their road tests, news and childish antics in the studio, but im sure most of us would agree that we would love to see more of what weve just seen tonight - and I truly hope they take this on board for S10 (filmings already started if not nearly finished, so maybe S11...)

PS. I especially loved the bit where Jeremy plunged into the watery deep and had to burn his lips off to remove the bolt from between his frozen lips.

... Ohh what I would give to be part of the Top Gear crew.

just watched the epsiode and it was simply amazing. Kudos to the Top Gear Crew, that was an achievement. My question was, during the epsiode they broke a suspension arm, I mean you can't really drive without one, did they bring any spare parts with them, or why was the truck still running afterwards ? :D. Ok It's a toyota ^^

just watched the epsiode and it was simply amazing. Kudos to the Top Gear Crew, that was an achievement. My question was, during the epsiode they broke a suspension arm, I mean you can't really drive without one, did they bring any spare parts with them, or why was the truck still running afterwards ? :D. Ok It's a toyota ^^
Support crew + Spares

fan-bleeding-tastic episode!!! episodes like these are the reason why i think top gear is the best thing ever to be broadcasted on television!! well done to the TG crew :D

i find it funny that they didn't mention ONCE! the name of the customizer.. witch i'm sure is Arctic trucks.. as they have a longstanding partnership with Toyota. Don't know about the rest of the world but you can by those modified Hiluxes from the Toyota dealers in Norway..

http://www.arctictrucks.com/ <--- more pictures and stuff

They drove 2 Hiluxs and 1 LandCrusier

Nope can't buy those here in Australia ;)