[Polar Challenge Special] July 25th, 2007

Wonderful. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire duration. This will be remembered as one of the all-time classics.

Kudos to the TG team!

I just can't belive how good it was, I think it has to be one of the best pices of television in history. It was EPIC

They kept the whole TG look and silliness of everyone but in epic proportions, and in the end May can be remembered as the first person to go to the north pole without wanting to

I can keep on going about this episode but I'm gonna shut up, I know everyone loves it

I was smiling through the entire episode, fantastic.

But, did Richard ever make it to the pole? (I assume he did...but I think they should have shown it.)
confused.gif

Just a reminder, they did not go to the true, geographic north pole...which is in the middle of the arctic ocean.

I think that is the 3rd reminder so far. Of course, I didn't read the first 3 pages.

I think that is the 3rd reminder so far. Of course, I didn't read the first 3 pages.

ha, no surprise. Because I was stupid enough to believe the idea that they actually went to the geographic north pole for most of the episode until they arrived.

They should've explained that little detail though. As I think MANY viewers will probably believe that is what the geographic north pole looks like. But what can we do? Einstein's timeless quote lives on; the stupidity of humanity is infinite.

TopGear is known for ... conveniently leaving out certain details like that.

why did may stopped clarksonjust when the race started? where did he go? what he did?

he forgot his gloves :lol:

Also : did anyone else notice from the inside shots of the Hilux, they have trhis little hammer thingy hanging on the ceiling (presumably to break the glass when they sink through the ice), that keeps on appearing and disappearing throughout the episode?

Maybe it just fell off or something but they must have re attached it somehow...

Great episode! When Jeremy decides to throw caution in the wind and drive like a bat out of hell, I just laughed my butt off.

animal lovers

animal lovers

I wonder if anyone will make complaints to the BBC about Hammond's guide hitting her dogs

They were a few miles from a weather station and an airport at nearly the end of their voyage.

From the repeatedly posted link about the crash at Old Wings:

"Now, almost 57 years after the accident, the C-47 still lies on the barren and muddy shoreline of Station Bay near the now unmanned Isachsen weather station on Ellef Ringnes Island in Canada."

I'm thinking the whole unmanned part makes the idea that they were only a few miles from a weather station and airport a lot less of an issue.

he forgot his gloves :lol:

Also : did anyone else notice from the inside shots of the Hilux, they have trhis little hammer thingy hanging on the ceiling (presumably to break the glass when they sink through the ice), that keeps on appearing and disappearing throughout the episode?

Maybe it just fell off or something but they must have re attached it somehow...

aha, thanx for that mate.;)

Brilliant. The TG Special was really SPECIAL. As much as I loved the modified Hilux, you gotta love the Huskies; so tough and always on the edge. Watching them weather the cold as if it is no big deal is simply amazing.

Just like everybody else, I felt the ending to be short and abrupt. Would have really liked to see all three of them sitting down and having some hot tea at the end.

I hope people don't get the idea that this journey is easily doable if two fat, middle-aged men can do it in six days. At least three months of preparation and route mapping went on before they even sat foot in Canada.

TG should have done it Ewan Mcgregor style (Ref. "Long Way Round"); that way it would have been 2 Eps of Preparation, 2 Eps of the Actual Journey and 1 Ep of Post Journey Celebrations and interviews. Would have kept us all occupied until the next season of TG.

Honestly, I didn't like it very much. It was definetely fun but I realize that, it is because of these Top Gear Specials that we don't have a normal series. I prefer what some people will call boring - the car reviews on the test track and the relatively shorter challanges (England to France for example) than this one. I can imagine how much time they spend planning and making this one and there was only one "car" in the whole show. If I wanted to watch trips to the North Pole or in Africa I would turn on the Discovery Channel. I want Top Gear back on the track with Ferrari and Lambos:(

Amazing, maybe the best Top Gear episode ever! I had to stay up downloading and watching it very late last night, even though I had to go to work this morning. ;)

Brilliant, just brilliant. Epic journeys, both diesel- and dog-powered versions. It was incredible to see three normal blokes put themselves through that, and to see the effect, both physical and mental, it had on them. I can only begin to imagine the behind-the-scenes effort and planning that went into that.

Kudos to all - you've outdone yourself.