Police and warrants?

hype

Car(s)
GT Chucker
ok, well i just got my house searched by the police.. one of my parents let them in, but apparntly they dint have warrants(my dad asked and they said they dint need them).

but iv always thought that the police need a warrant to search someones house?

Am i just missinformed or am i right?

They do need a warrant but not if your parents let them in.
What did they search your house for?

i dont know all the details, but my brother got aressted, they serched his room, then the rest of the top floors rooms

EDIT: the searched the basement aswell

Last edited:
^AFAIK, if they have a warrant, they don't even have to ask your permission to search your house... if they don't have one, then its just up to the owners whether they would let them to

drugs? guns? prostitutes? art theft? murder?

Wow, I'm guessing they had a reason for searching your home just no proof otherwise they probably would have had a warrant. It sucks that they slyly answered your father's question and tricked him, yeah they don't need a warrant if you say yes.

Jaywalking? That's a killer.

Maybe they saw you driving an SUV and decided you were the spawn of Satan. It's England, after all...:tease:

Know your rights, protect your rights.

If the police ever come to the door and want to talk, step outside and close the door behind you. If they see anything criminal "in plain view" it's admissible even without a warrant. The same goes for your car, if you are asked to get out of your car close and lock the door behind you, and open door is an open invitation. Cops will sometimes try to tell you that they want to help you but only if you let them look in the car/home. This is not the case, the police are paid to gather evidence to convict a suspect, not to help them, that's why you have a defense attorney. You can refuse to consent to a search and it's ok to tell an officer, "I do not consent to any kind of search" if they ask. Sometimes you will get the question, "Well, since you're not doing anything wrong you won't mind if I take a look." This is the time to say you don't consent.

The same goes for your house, if officers ask to come in then anything they see (even without a search) can be used against you. They don't have the right to enter without a warrant and remind them of that fact.

Know your rights, and don't let anyone intimidate you into giving them up.

Know your rights, protect your rights.

If the police ever come to the door and want to talk, step outside and close the door behind you. If they see anything criminal "in plain view" it's admissible even without a warrant. The same goes for your car, if you are asked to get out of your car close and lock the door behind you, and open door is an open invitation. Cops will sometimes try to tell you that they want to help you but only if you let them look in the car/home. This is not the case, the police are paid to gather evidence to convict a suspect, not to help them, that's why you have a defense attorney. You can refuse to consent to a search and it's ok to tell an officer, "I do not consent to any kind of search" if they ask. Sometimes you will get the question, "Well, since you're not doing anything wrong you won't mind if I take a look." This is the time to say you don't consent.

The same goes for your house, if officers ask to come in then anything they see (even without a search) can be used against you. They don't have the right to enter without a warrant and remind them of that fact.

Know your rights, and don't let anyone intimidate you into giving them up.

Blind, you forgot....

The_More_You_Know-775718.jpg

:yes: :thumbup:

No Boss,

What did I forget?

You can refuse to consent to a search and it's ok to tell an officer, "I do not consent to any kind of search" if they ask. Sometimes you will get the question, "Well, since you're not doing anything wrong you won't mind if I take a look." This is the time to say you don't consent.
Not in the UK sonny, it is a criminal offence to not allow them to search your car or your person. You can refuse to be questioned but not searched.
They obviously need a warrant to search your house though.

Not in the UK sonny, it is a criminal offence to not allow them to search your car or your person. You can refuse to be questioned but not searched.

Well they can search your car or you here legally, but only if they have probable cause (i.e. see something illegal in plain view).

you can only search a person if they suspect you of something, if you're just walking on the street and they say I wanna search you, and they don't give a reason, they can't do that... same goes with the car.
But its different for the house, you can say no and tell them to come back with a warrant

Sarcasm? Or are you not seeing the image he posted?

What image? I don't even get a broken image icon

In the US they can search your car without consent but only if you are under arrest. If they have not placed you under arrest and read you your rights then you can refuse to consent. Of course then can call for a warrant and keep you there until it arrives, but I don't think there's a judge alive who would grant a warrant when there's not enough cause to warrant an arrest.

Also, officers have the right to pat-down someone (outside the clothes) for their own protection, but they can't just walk up to you on the street and pat you down or tell you to turn out your pockets.

At least in the US.