Police slash "tent city" in St. Petersburg, FL

Where are they actually located? Is it state land or private property?

Its under an overpass under a bridge. Frankly i can understand the fire excuse, if you have never seen a tent fire its quick and melts to the skin, the smell is like that of carpet on fire and its smoke can kill birds that fly over head.

As a avid backpacker i think tents are not that cheep to just cut up they should have donated them to the scouts. But as a backpacker i also know a tarp is just as good to keep the rain out. The homeless should know that if the streets your home you have to play by the streets rules. If i was the Mayor i would have payed other bums to burn the tent city to the ground and fight the other bums, then sell the rights to pay per view.

If i was the Mayor i would have payed other bums to burn the tent city to the ground and fight the other bums, then sell the rights to pay per view.

I'd vote for you.

The money goes for a party for the whole city called "Tits for the Town" a weekend party to raise money for mandatory breast augmentation of police officers. I envision a utopia where even tickets have a plus. "Yes, i got a ticket but man you should have seen her rack."

While probably not the best way to go about it the city is within it's right, I'm guessing that if it's anything like here it's illegal to just stick up a tent where ever you feel like it.

But they are going to face legal action because they destroyed property that wasn't theirs.

But they are going to face legal action because they destroyed property that wasn't theirs.
Homeless people being defended by court appointed lawyers against an action even the mayor approved. That'll be a fair fight. :rolleyes:

I agree that the whole tent city thing was a safety hazard. But did the police really have to destroy personal property to make their jobs easier?

See! Im a GENUS! This proves it! This not only makes my solution sound better but is cheaper. We will be paying only a few hundred to the homeless that we will get back in the pay per view. Plus our flat chested police officers get new boobs!

I agree that the whole tent city thing was a safety hazard. But did the police really have to destroy personal property to make their jobs easier?

No, they did not.

Well, if you're going to evict someone, you don't throw them out of a house with force, unless needed, and then take their house with you.

They are people, they've been treated like they were criminals.

They were criminals, technically, in lots of places it illegal to set up a tent unless a camp site. Also it was against the fire code, the reason why they ripped all the tents up. The real question was what would you have them do fight with the bums or just make all the tents useless.

They were criminals, technically, in lots of places it illegal to set up a tent unless a camp site. Also it was against the fire code, the reason why they ripped all the tents up. The real question was what would you have them do fight with the bums or just make all the tents useless.

Actually, the question I have is how would simply taking the tents cause a fight, when cutting them up and then taking them doesn't?

I don't really blame the city for taking the tents, though. If a fire broke out, the people there would be in much more serious trouble than just being tent-less. The homeless people didn't really have a choice either, because they have to cook their food somewhere. It looks to me that the whole thing was just a sad situation that didn't have any easy solutions. :(

Technically they were criminals, but I really doubt the general concensice is that they are "criminal" in any other respect than theoreticly. :)

The big question is, why did they not procede as they would if they were facing people with money and ability to be heard?

Ok, let's use the same rules for cars:

if you drive too fast, we don't give you ticket but tear your car into parts!

In the real world they kinda do, they tow them and hold them hostage for ransom. But not in my utopia where big breasted police beat off the homeless as long as they don't sleep in tents.

In the real world they kinda do, they tow them and hold them hostage for ransom. But not in my utopia where big breasted police beat off the homeless as long as they don't sleep in tents.

You need to be either badly parked, or here in Florida, to discourage drag races, they tow the cars involved in those races even when the infraction isn't very hot. One time I saw a highly tuned Eclipse being towed by the cops, and her girlfriend picking her up with a 3 series convertible.