Pontiac G8 and Saturn Astra pricing released

The Charger is still the closest competitor. And I am not sure about the Charger being a "big fat family car". With the Hemi it is something more.

a big fat family car with an ugly face and shitty gearbox?

I'm actually a little excited about the Astra, any europeans want to clue us in on how it handles and what kind of performance aftermarket there is for it?
I'm liking most of the new saturns.

EDIT: wow, it's pretty surprising how many Saturns are just Vauxhalls/Opels.

Last edited:
mum had a few of the older astras as work cars, pretty forgettable car

If you get a high powered one, or indeed the Turbo diesel, get set for mega-torque steer. Reasonable car, but isn't as good as the Euro Focus, or indeed, I'd reckon the Mazda3.

hmm, I can see the G8 in manual being a good drift platform...
If you like drifting a 2 ton machine with absurd torque :p . It won't surprise me if we see a factory backed G8 drift machine though. IIRC they did it with the GTO and now the Solstice. Shit, I wish they'd just bring V8 Supercar racing over. That's so much more interesting to watch.

They might well not bring a manual over. Not sure it would sell well.

With an engine with that much torque available so broadly, you are hardly shifting.

My 300, on racetracks, goes very quickly with just a handful of gear changes. And the reality is I can run virtually any full track quite quickly leaving the car in 3rd and just feathering off the power slightly on the straights to keep it at 6,000rpm or so.

On any kind of twisty highway you'd effectively just use 2nd only if you want to be aggressive. 3rd is strictly for ticket acquisition on public roads.

Steve

Im said GM officially said they would not import the Astra VXR turbo version for emissions reasons or some BS.

I'm guessing they will do some kind of Redline edition. If not on this current model then the next.

I'm guessing they will do some kind of Redline edition. If not on this current model then the next.

Perhaps the 200hp SRi version, or is that offered in another model?

I'm guessing the Astra has the same 1.8 that's available here. It's reported to be a bit slow with that engine, though (well, in Aussie media).

deanodriver, if it was reported to be slow by drive.com.au then you can just about guarantee that the toyota is a better option

not that I think they're paid off or anything...

They might well not bring a manual over. Not sure it would sell well.
Idk man, i've heard a lot of people gripe about Chrysler failing to offer a stick in the 300/Charger/Magnum (what's that chassis designation anyway?). Personally, I would've bought a Magnum if I could have gotten it with a manual. I think GM would be foolish not to offer it, even if the G8 was the only Zeta car they were building. But it's not, which brings me to my next point; they've got no reason at all not to offer a manual. If anything, it will help get them some points with CAFE.

Idk man, i've heard a lot of people gripe about Chrysler failing to offer a stick in the 300/Charger/Magnum (what's that chassis designation anyway?). Personally, I would've bought a Magnum if I could have gotten it with a manual.

It's the LX chassis. If you bought something else strictly because of the gearbox, well, you are missing out. Not sure that the manual would improve mileage since it would likely have the same gearing.

I think the only reason the GTO sold at all with a manual (and it sold poorly overall) was because it had a 4 speed auto, not a 5 speed. Makes a signifcant difference.

Steve

It's the LX chassis. If you bought something else strictly because of the gearbox, well, you are missing out.
Thanks, I never can remember that designation. As for the manual thing; if I'm going to pay that kind of money for something it had better be how I want it. I bought an '85 Camaro instead, hoping that Dodge would come around. They didn't, and I went to college. 3-4 years later, still no manual trans, not that I could buy a new car now anyway :rolleyes:.

The G8 will have a manual as an option six months after its introduction.

...Which will be a an updated version of the Tremec 6-Speeder from the GTO/Monaro. A bit rough around the edges, but tough as nails.

it's a pretty ordinary box compared to the Jap stuff but still not bad
Eh, I always thought it was a pretty good gearbox, especially for (like 'Cruiserman noted) being so tough. But then again the only Japanese manuals i've driven have had like 120hp ran through them and 200k miles put on them. Not exactly a basis for an objective comparison :lol:.

zenkidori said:
If I could find a good GS or IS I'd drop my RX-7 for some 4 door dori action any time.
I'm not sure if I could say the same. What year's your 7?