Pontiac G8 and Saturn Astra pricing released

A manual is offered in the Commodore so I'm sure that in due course, the manual will be slipped into the G8 lineup.

Pfffs, americans get the Astra for nothing.

being a dodge guy myself i will take a G8 GT over the Charger R/T. Charger SRT-8, well that is a different story. I hope this one does better than the "GTO" they brought over. Those can be picked up super cheap right now, even the 400hp 6.0L version. I believe GM is finally starting to "turn the corner" that has been talked about for the past 20 years it seems......

I still think they should just call it the GTO..

It's not a GTO and doesn't match their new naming scheme.
The GTO name may not exactly fit their new naming scheme, but I can see them still using it. Whereas names like Grand Prix and Bonneville attach thoughts of crappy interiors and not so much "driving excitement", the GTO still gets respect. But yeah, calling the G8 a GTO would be just like Dodge calling their new Charger ... a Charger. And that's just wrong.

The other thing is GM stuck GTO on the last one in hopes it may get people into dealerships to buy the car... whether or not it did is another question as most dealers tried required they anally rape buyers wives and get their first born.

The other thing is GM stuck GTO on the last one in hopes it may get people into dealerships to buy the car... whether or not it did is another question as most dealers tried required they anally rape buyers wives and get their first born.
Man, I had forgotten about that whole deal. The dealers killed it before they'd sold one. It would be interesting to see how many more sold of the lot if the dealers hadn't been marking them up like crazy. At least that means us gearheads can get them cheap now.

You don't think that will happen again with the G8 do you? This cars getting just as much hype built up behind it as the GTO, and is projected to sell much better. I really hope Pontiac dealers don't go and shoot themselves in the foot again.

being a dodge guy myself i will take a G8 GT over the Charger R/T. Charger SRT-8, well that is a different story. I hope this one does better than the "GTO" they brought over. Those can be picked up super cheap right now, even the 400hp 6.0L version. I believe GM is finally starting to "turn the corner" that has been talked about for the past 20 years it seems......

Faster versions are already available here (hsv clubsport and for the UK vauxhall vxr8 ) so it's probably just a matter of time. The clubsport does 0-100km in a fraction under 5 seconds, while the stock v8 one is quoted at around 6 people have extracted much better times from it.

Wow, looks just like an Astra.

Wait...

Faster versions are already available here (hsv clubsport and for the UK vauxhall vxr8 ) so it's probably just a matter of time. The clubsport does 0-100km in a fraction under 5 seconds, while the stock v8 one is quoted at around 6 people have extracted much better times from it.

American drivers testing the RHD aussie version have pulled 5.3 0-60mph. Also ran low 14 quarter miles. All the testers said doing the 2nd-3rd change up was odd for them and expected to go faster. Also from what I've read the G8 GT based Holden has been known to put down right around 390hp rather than the rated 355-360.

I question GM letting a faster G8 to be sold as it could compete to much with Cadillac.

Man, I had forgotten about that whole deal. The dealers killed it before they'd sold one. It would be interesting to see how many more sold of the lot if the dealers hadn't been marking them up like crazy. At least that means us gearheads can get them cheap now.

You don't think that will happen again with the G8 do you? This cars getting just as much hype built up behind it as the GTO, and is projected to sell much better. I really hope Pontiac dealers don't go and shoot themselves in the foot again.

I believe the dealers claimed the GTO was "limited production/import" to justify the high markups. The G8 being a full product replacement and so important for them, I expect GM to tighten that leash (and yanking on the choke chain a bit as well) to make sure it does well.

If that doesn't happen, and the car ends up being a "failure" then GM and it's dealers deserve to go bankrupt and sell to the Chinese for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:
They look great as a Cop Car, The Holden Commodore as they are known here. many were used in the recent APEC meetings and they stand out.

thedguy said:
I question GM letting a faster G8 to be sold as it could compete to much with Cadillac.
Idk, Lutz seems pretty intent on making Pontiac the "performance" branch. I think even a G8 GTP or whatever would still be cheaper than any of the Cadillac offerings, and probably not as fast as that supercharged CTS.

To be honest, I really REALLY wish that Chrysler would just rename the new Charger the "Coronet".

A Charger does not have four doors, and thats an end of it.

Production Astra images

http://img261.imageshack.**/img261/1720/ast8bc5fffdq9.jpg

This can't be the prdocution version for the american market - where are all the cupholders? :p

Who knows, maybe they're banned now, along with ashtrays. Can't have drivers getting distracted with beverages, don't you know.

Great looking car, glad to see it finally.