Pontiac G8 ST (Holden Ute) Export is no more!

eddysdaman

Car(s)
Clue: It has boost.
Holden's lucrative export program has taken a major blow believed to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars after US brand Pontiac cancelled orders of the Commodore Ute in response to the global economic crisis.
The Ute was scheduled to go on sale in America in the second half of 2009 as the Pontiac G8 ST sport truck, but Pontiac has axed the model as part of General Motors' restructuring plan designed to stave off a financial collapse.

Holden this morning confirmed that it was given the bad news overnight by Pontiac, one of numerous General Motors brands that has been the result of intense speculation over its long term future.
The news comes despite the added affordability of the exports given the lower value of the Australian dollar.
"We're naturally disappointed about the cancellation, but we understand Pontiac's decision,'' says Holden spokesman Jonathan Rose. "Pontiac has stated that as part of its restructuring it is focusing on cars as opposed to trucks (utes).''

Holden confirmed in March 2008 that its Commodore Ute would be restyled and rebadged for the US market.
Holden already exports the Commodore sedan to the US, where it is sold as the Pontiac G8. It's believed almost 15,000 G8s have been exported to and sold in the US, but that tens of thousands are still waiting to be sold as demand in the States wanes. Pontiac had been hoping to sell double that number in 2008.

The local car maker says exports of the Commodore sedan are not threatened by the cancellation of the ute, both of which are built at Holden's Elizabeth plant in South Australia.
"The Commodore export program remains strong,'' says Rose. "The decision [by Pontiac to cancel the ute order] doesn't alter the foundation of the G8 sedan program. The ute was just an extension of that program, and the GX P will still go ahead.''

Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson has told US media that the GT ST ute has been axed as part of GM's "continuing vehicle review''.
"With Pontiac being more focused on sporty, fun-to-drive cars, we took a long look at the ST and it didn't fit with what our future vision of Pontiac would be,'' Pontiac spokesman Jim Hopson told Automotive News. "At that point, we decided to not proceed with this vehicle''
Holden won't reveal how many Commodore Utes it had been planning to export to America, though Pontiac has said that the G8 ST sport truck was intended to be only a low-volume, niche model. Low volume in the US can still translate to 40,000 vehicles annually, the target set when Monaros were exported to the States.

Even if Holden only exported 10,000 Utes to the US and they were sold at $20,000 - almost half their recommended retail price in Australia - that would still amount to lost exports worth $200 million.
The G8 ST sport truck was unveiled at the 2008 Detroit motor show last January, and was to be powered by a V8 engine.

drive.com.au

http://business.theage.com.au/business/blow-to-holden-as-ute-export-axed-20090107-7biy.html

My bad if its a repost.

I love this car. But I can't see it selling well stateside. It's probably smart that GM axed it.

It's kinda funny because Pontiac has already been advertising it in car magazines. Wonder if maybe there wasn't a SINGLE hit to the website from anyone in the US. :p

Good riddens! It wasn't going to sell at all in the US. The SportWagon may have had a chance, though.

Last edited:
I don't think anybody here would buy one.

I don't know why you folks think the Ute wouldn't sell here... Americans have bought up Ford Rancheros, Chevy S-10s/Colorados/El Caminos, Dodge Dakotas, Ford Rangers, Nissan Hardbodies, and damn near any other small pickup you care to mention. This is especially relevant since full-sized pickups aren't really viewed as economically viable these days.

I don't know why you folks think the Ute wouldn't sell here... Americans have bought up Ford Rancheros, Chevy S-10s/Colorados/El Caminos, Dodge Dakotas, Ford Rangers, Nissan Hardbodies, and damn near any other small pickup you care to mention. This is especially relevant since full-sized pickups aren't really viewed as economically viable these days.

Because most* people of today don't look back at the El Caminos and Rancheros with fondness. (*MOST...I said MOST) They think they look stupid, don't have the full capability of a car, and sacrifice capability of the truck.

Sure, the Rnager/S-10/Tacoma/Dakota/Frontier, etc etc etc are not full-sized pick-ups, but they have a taller ride hight, taller ground clearance, and usually higher towing capacity than any of the car-turned truck combos.

No one who's seriously considering buying any type of truck-like vehicle was seriously considering buying the G8 ST. Same reason why the Honda Ridgeline has had such a hard time catching on, even though it's all the truck most anyone will ever need.

Plus, I always thought it looked way dorky. Don't get me wrong...I dig the G8 (especially in GXP form) and I've been known to appreciate El Canimos over the recent past few years, but still...the G8 ST looked dorky.

All that publicity, the naming contest and everything else now for naught. It's a wonder GM is bankrupt.

I think it would have sold well, but GM promised Congress they would cut back on Pontiac's line-up so its out.

Ah well, your loss.

Smart move. It was going to be a disaster.

I really believe the Ute is one of the best forms of transportation - you have all the loading capacity and the comfort of a normal car. However, most people in the states are not so open minded and still think that a pick up truck should be big.

Disapointing... I was looking forward to seeing these running around.

Unfortunatley even I will admit it was probably a smart move.

I personally hope GM changes their mind or at least comes with lower numbers. I really wanted one for work. Oh well I guess I'll just stick with the Euro Wagons.

Because most* people of today don't look back at the El Caminos and Rancheros with fondness. (*MOST...I said MOST) They think they look stupid, don't have the full capability of a car, and sacrifice capability of the truck.

Sure, the Rnager/S-10/Tacoma/Dakota/Frontier, etc etc etc are not full-sized pick-ups, but they have a taller ride hight, taller ground clearance, and usually higher towing capacity than any of the car-turned truck combos.

No one who's seriously considering buying any type of truck-like vehicle was seriously considering buying the G8 ST. Same reason why the Honda Ridgeline has had such a hard time catching on, even though it's all the truck most anyone will ever need.

Plus, I always thought it looked way dorky. Don't get me wrong...I dig the G8 (especially in GXP form) and I've been known to appreciate El Canimos over the recent past few years, but still...the G8 ST looked dorky.

The Honda ridgeline practically failed because it's only got a v6 and is primarily front wheel drive. Hook a trailer up to that truck and the first thing it does is unload the front axle.

The Honda ridgeline practically failed because it's only got a v6 and is primarily front wheel drive. Hook a trailer up to that truck and the first thing it does is unload the front axle.

Dont forget that the Ridgeline is certainly priced like a more capable truck, and the problem becomes even more clear.

I wonder what part of the US has the most RidgeLines. Because if it is Texas, they should just give up now, because I don't see them often at all.

MattD1zzl3 said:
*weeping bitterly in the corner*

Agreed, I loved the idea of a New Camino.

I can see GM's logic though - it was never going to be a big seller, more a niche product (and GM was marketing / preparing to sell it as such) and now, because they're in Shit Creek, they're cutting back and keeping with key big-sellers and less niche cars.

I can see their logic, doesn't mean I agree with them.

fucking mother fucker... i wasn't gonna buy on new but i sure as fuck was gonna keep track of the used prices... god damn it...