• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Pontiac GTO and Chevy Camaro (Looks like a definite go)

Mischief007

Car(s)
1995 Chevy Camaro Z28, 04 VW Jetta GLS
From a friend of mine who works at an automotive plant here in Canada said that the plant is building some parts for the GMX282 (GTO) and GMX284 (Camaro) platforms.

Looks like the GTO will be build here in North America and they are bringing back the Camaro. This should be interesting now.

Mind you, some of you might not even care about this.

didn't they axe the camaro and the firebird cuz sales sucked ass? why would they bring bac a model that didnt sell?

I dont know about other places in the world...but in manitoba...american muscle cars are not leaving the showrooms

all of the ford dealerships in winnipeg still have their original complement of '05 mustangs...granted im sure the depths of a -40c winter is not the best time to sell a RWD car, but im surprised that not a one has left the lots

also all the dealers with camaros and C6 corvettes have not moved a single "muscle" car, in the case of the camaro since summer began.

so if your on a waiting list for a C6 or an '05 mustang...come up to canada...

They've been selling the 05 mustangs like hotcakes down here.

And yes they did axe it in 2002 but are bringing it back because Ford is the only one with an affordable muscle car these days.

I think it will still be cheap and the interior will suck, but we will have to wait and see.

i think were going to see the same thing europe saw 3 years ago...a severe dip in the sales of muscle cars (granted they were not american muscle cars but european) and a sharp rise in the sale and imoprt of hot hatches...and small fast sports cars like the Celica TSport...and Mazdaspeed 3

Sounds interesting, though i really don't like any of the latest Pontiac or Chevy designs (The GTO was designed in Austalia as a Holden Monaro and looks very good), maybe the new Camaro/Firebird will be a retro-design like so many cars of today and who knows, maybe i like it :thumbsup:

^ Let's just hope they pick the right generation of Camaro to copy. I would love to see a recreation of the 1970-1973, but I'm not too fond of any of the other model years.

Looks like the GTO will be build here in North America and they are bringing back the Camaro. This should be interesting now.

Yeah thats fucked up... Holden are the most profitable arm of GM at the moment and now the big wigs at GM have taken a true Australian car away from its homeland. The monaro isn't going to be produced in Australia anymore cause headquarters wants the car for themselves and them sells them back to the people who created it. So now we get the Monaro with those stupid bonnet scoops that don't do shit.

/END RANT

^ Didn't know that was happening, but if it is then yeah I agree. I'm worried GM will want to put their 5c worth into the Monaro, which may (or may not) totally destroy the unique character the old one gave the world.

Didn't know that GM is doing that to the Monaro. Too bad. Of all cars, the Holden lineup looks the most interesting. All rear wheel drive, aggressive, and in your face. Amazing cars.

AFAIK the GTO really isn't selling but the Mustang is.

A 5th gen Camaro/Firebird might be good for GM but they'd ditch the GTO before you'd see one.

Matthew

IMO they should have kept the styling of the Australian version. I went to pick up my books for class the other day, and saw a black one. Strangely, it was still badged as a Holden instead of a Chevy (as the officially imported ones are), but DAMN did it look good.
:jawdrop:

qube said:
AFAIK the GTO really isn't selling but the Mustang is.

A 5th gen Camaro/Firebird might be good for GM but they'd ditch the GTO before you'd see one.

Matthew

You are right that the GTO isn't selling but they want to keep making it. Don't ask me why.

This is the not the first piece of news that I heard because others have mentioned before that GM is redesigning the whole GTO, which means it will be a North American build. Build it with a new Camaro, keep costs down, and therefore have low prices to compete with the Mustang.

I think they need to pull the same trick as the 'Stang. Go for the good looking old model and revive it.. I will love to see the new Camaro as the 68 or 69 one

No pictures, just more speculation that more and more plants are starting to make parts for either of them. :)

This is the not the first piece of news that I heard because others have mentioned before that GM is redesigning the whole GTO, which means it will be a North American build.

Yeah that is what happened when they took it off us. Bonnet scoops and a new exhaust system that cut boot space by 2/3.

They made an absolute hash of it. No wonder it doesn't sell over there.

You also know what that means...it'll be utter crap...:lol:. Can't wait. :lmao:

Leppy said:
This is the not the first piece of news that I heard because others have mentioned before that GM is redesigning the whole GTO, which means it will be a North American build.

Yeah that is what happened when they took it off us. Bonnet scoops and a new exhaust system that cut boot space by 2/3.

They made an absolute hash of it. No wonder it doesn't sell over there.

I think it's not selling in the US because it's being marketed as a piece of US Muscle car history when then public views it as a car from Oz.

I do think it's a fabulous car, it would be a shame if it falls out of favour in Australia due to GM's alterations.

Matthew

^ Yah I think they shouldn't have marketed it as the new GTO.
It doesn't look / feel like it.
I think it would have done better without it being called the GTO, especially since they wouldn't have had to put the old GTO's styling cues in.

the holden monaro is badged as a pontiac in the US, right? coz i saw one here (aust) in lefthand drive badged as a chevolet.

it looked like it was being tested or something, cos it had warning stickers all over it