Pontiac will make next G6 rear-drive

Vitamin J

Car(s)
1996 Mazda Miata 1.8L, 1992 Spec Miata 1.6L
General Motors has cancelled development of its planned next-generation front-wheel-drive Pontiac G6, according to a report published today. It is believed GM will instead replace the G6 for the 2010 model year with a rear-wheel-drive model of some description.

According to enthusiasts website GMInsidenews, the second-generation G6 was originally planned to be built on a redesigned Epsilon II (E2) platform. While the existing front-drive G6 has been reasonably successful, it seems General Motors wants its Pontiac division to be more competitive with the likes of BMW.

GM is also rumored to be considering replacing its badge-engineered G5 coupe with a compact RWD car in the next several years. The rumors add credibility to an Automotive News report from May suggesting Pontiac might make all its vehicles rear-wheel drive in the future.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/11/14/report-pontiac-will-make-next-g6-rear-drive/

woop woop!

How many commuters will be turned away from the RWD out of fear of snow/rain spinouts, vs enthusiasts who will be attracted to RWD? Unless Pontiac can put something interesting into the powertrain and chassis, it'll be a stupid gamble with its mainstream money-maker. I want this to succeed and become a surprise hit for Pontiac, but I'm not holding my breath.

How many commuters will be turned away from the RWD out of fear of snow/rain spinouts, vs enthusiasts who will be attracted to RWD? Unless Pontiac can put something interesting into the powertrain and chassis, it'll be a stupid gamble with its mainstream money-maker. I want this to succeed and become a surprise hit for Pontiac, but I'm not holding my breath.

All of them. My dad recently bought my mom a 300c. First thing EVERYONE says is, what are you going to do in the snow with the RWD. My dad usually responds with just about every car in the 60s and 70s made or he owned were RWD, and it was just fine.

I just find it funny that people think RWD = absolutely no traction

I really hope this works out for Pontiac.. hopefully they will be the "excitement" division again.

How many commuters will be turned away from the RWD out of fear of snow/rain spinouts, vs enthusiasts who will be attracted to RWD?
A) Traction control

B)
All of them. My dad recently bought my mom a 300c. First thing EVERYONE says is, what are you going to do in the snow with the RWD. My dad usually responds with just about every car in the 60s and 70s made or he owned were RWD, and it was just fine.

C) Good, less dumb drivers on the road. If you can't drive RWD, you can't drive, period. Learn some car control, and you'll be a better driver for it.

D) Really, RWD in the wet (and even the snow) is not a big deal at all. All you need is decent tires and the brains to not be an idiot with your right shoe.

I like the G6... RWD will just push it up another notch.

I dont think that the G6 comes in manual though. From the trims i saw it showed Auto and Auto+Triptronic.

And i didnt know so many people were scared of RWD cars. I guess thats the reason why there arent so many rwd cars?

Then they can buy Chevy or Saturn.
I like the G6... RWD will just push it up another notch.

I dont think that the G6 comes in manual though. From the trims i saw it showed Auto and Auto+Triptronic.

And i didnt know so many people were scared of RWD cars. I guess thats the reason why there arent so many rwd cars?
The G6 comes with a 240hp V6 and a 6-speed manual, it's a fun car. RWD will make it so much better.

Also, FWD is only good in snow because there's more than 50% of the weight on the drive tires. My Miata has 50% weight on the rear tires and it drives fine in the snow.

eihh.... the current gen G6 has far more important problems that need to be addressed before they even start thinking about RWD for the next one

It was said a while ago that Pontiac was going to be a smaller GM brand and I'm pretty sure that has to do with the fact they're going to make it the "excitement division" again rather then the "Rebadged Chevrolet" division. The current G6 isn't too bad, my family has one, but its nothing outstanding. A RWD small car to replace the G5 would be a good idea.

How long have people been living with RWD cars? Oh I don't know, since the car was invented 100 years ago. FWD became truly mainstream only in the last 30 years, thanks to GM's and Chrysler's rabid enthusiasm, and now it's impossible to wean the masses off it.

Anyway, this is fantastic news, seeing as Pontiac is supposed to be the action-packed "Performance Division" that it hasn't been for the last 30 years as well. BTW, Pontiac, you guys don't need a minivan or a rebadged SUV either...take the hint.

i dont really understand why GM wouldnt make the Cobalt SS RWD. People who buy G6's arent performance freaks

According to enthusiasts website GMInsidenews, the second-generation G6 was originally planned to be built on a redesigned Epsilon II (E2) platform. While the existing front-drive G6 has been reasonably successful, it seems General Motors wants its Pontiac division to be more competitive with the likes of BMW.

I cannot imagine that the only or main reason why people buy a BMW nowadays is that they're RWD. It's fine if Pontiac decides to switch back to RWD, but to say they're doing it to be competitive with BMW seems to be a little bit far fetched from my point of view.

Because they're bringing back the Camaro.
the Cobalt SS is around $10K less than what they say the Camaro would be. I mention the Cobalt SS because if you are looking to buy a sporty car for the low-mid $20's, why would you buy the Cobalt if you could buy a Pontiac with RWD, Manual, and around 240hp? They may not be marketed as competitors because they are within the same company, GM, but that doesnt mean they arent