Autoblog: Pontiac's last hurray to be down under

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/19/report-pontiac-g8-sedan-wagon-and-ute-to-be-sold-in-austral/

It's sad enough that the dizzying, platform-sharing, don't-call-it-rebadging upcoming product extravaganza General Motors unveiled to the Twitterati and media last week did not include the terms Zeta, Pontiac, G8, or any derivative thereof, but if a new report out of Australia is accurate, Holden is about to pour salt in America's wound ? with an iodine chaser. *************.au claims to have an internal Holden memo stating that our friends Down Under will not only be able to purchase a Pontiac G8 SS-V sedan, but Wagon and Ute variants as well. (SS-V is the equivalent trim level to the U.S.-market G8 GT.)

These final Pontiac G8s will reportedly be offered through Holden dealerships (natch) as special limited-edition models. The reason? Simple: a final run of G8s made specifically for the Aussies will allow Holden to clean out some of the remaining Pontiac G8 part stock it currently has sitting around with nowhere to go. Dealer sources told *************.au that they expect the total run to be in the neighborhood of 1,500 cars, with the breakdown split fairly evenly among the three body styles.

Pontiac G8: the car that didn't deserve to die, that no one wants to see die, and that, so far, refuses to die quietly. Thanks to Stephen for the tip.

This explains why factory Pontiac's were driving around down there.

I wanted a Pontiac G8 wagon, quick wagons are so badass. GM needs to revive this as a Chevy so bad.

Of course, what will happen when these hit the used market in Australia is that dickheads will buy them just to slap Chev badges and Southern Cross stickers* on the back. :|

Two things that piss me off about the above: 1) Seeing a Chev badge on what is obviously not a Chev-powered Holden. The VR, VS and pre-1999 VTs fit in this category. Anyone with half a brain and even a vague interest in cars can tell you that Holden put its own V8s in their cars from 1969 to 1999 - the Holden 253/304/308 family is arguably Australia's most iconic home grown internal combustion engine, but I digress. Those that are not powered by V8s are powered by Buick V6s. If anything, these clowns should be putting Buick badges on their cars, not Chev ones.

Which leads me to point 2: those fucking Southern Cross stickers. The mark of a bogan Aussie Pride. If you're so proud of being an Aussie, and driving an Aussie car ... then what the fuck are you doing putting Yankee symbolism all over your pride and joy? I thought we seceded from the USA when Kevin Rudd got voted in as Prime Minister. Actually, the Southern Cross stickers are an entirely new rant in their own right ...

Meanwhile, back on topic .... I think it will be cool to see a few G8s in Australia. I wonder what the asking price will be? (I suspect it would be priced slightly above a Commodore SS-V)

* Southern Cross sticker: 5 stars that look like the Southern Cross, essentially Australia's answer to the Confederate flag. Classy.

Of course, what will happen when these hit the used market in Australia is that dickheads will buy them just to slap Chev badges and Southern Cross stickers* on the back. :|

Two things that piss me off about the above: 1) Seeing a Chev badge on what is obviously not a Chev-powered Holden. The VR, VS and pre-1999 VTs fit in this category. Anyone with half a brain and even a vague interest in cars can tell you that Holden put its own V8s in their cars from 1969 to 1999 - the Holden 253/304/308 family is arguably Australia's most iconic home grown internal combustion engine, but I digress. Those that are not powered by V8s are powered by Buick V6s. If anything, these clowns should be putting Buick badges on their cars, not Chev ones.

Which leads me to point 2: those fucking Southern Cross stickers. The mark of a bogan Aussie Pride. If you're so proud of being an Aussie, and driving an Aussie car ... then what the fuck are you doing putting Yankee symbolism all over your pride and joy? I thought we seceded from the USA when Kevin Rudd got voted in as Prime Minister. Actually, the Southern Cross stickers are an entirely new rant in their own right ...

Meanwhile, back on topic .... I think it will be cool to see a few G8s in Australia. I wonder what the asking price will be? (I suspect it would be priced slightly above a Commodore SS-V)

* Southern Cross sticker: 5 stars that look like the Southern Cross, essentially Australia's answer to the Confederate flag. Classy.
3261566680_7840b59257.jpg

Musta forgotten about the Middle East.

WE ALREADY HAVE THESE.

Last edited:
That looks surprisingly awesome...

I bet it was just a custom job though - look at that paintwork. That spoiler ain't Pontiac G8 trim either.

That looks surprisingly awesome...

I bet it was just a custom job though - look at that paintwork. That spoiler ain't Pontiac G8 trim either.

Paint is custom but it had full (rhd) Ponitac interior and all badging, front, side and rear.

I like that...

And that's the spoiler that should've been on the GXP's instead of the same spoiler the GT's had.