Pope Francis...Time "Person of the Year"

Maybe they should have, but that's not up to me. But then again, they gave Obama the Nobel Peace Prize ...

Nobody is perfect.

And maybe everyone should see there awards not always for something they have done, but to pressure them into doing something good.

Maybe so, but I thought this thread was meant for us to express if we agree or disagree with the decision.

A little tidbit about the massive brouhaha regarding papal infallibility.

It works at such, the pope is not infallible much less that anything he says is the absolute honest-to-God truth. At most he's stopped saying anything too wrong, because he would lead lots of innocent people astray if he did. It's just that he can invoke papal infallibility if he feels what his declarations truly are infallible. and despite everything, popes do not feel the need to call infallibility in everything and they consider it a quite serious choice, having only been invoked a recorded 7 times since the year 449.

Not that this little bit of info will dissuade woofle from the wanting the church to be completely renovated on a day you understand.

He can still make infallible declarations as the pope; it's within his power to do so. The point is moot however, because he has already on numerous occasions said that he has no intention of changing the churches view on homosexuality, the punishment of pedophiles, abortion, etc etc.

I don't care how many boiled peasants he kisses he's already said he's not going to change basically any of the crap people admonish the church for. I don't give a damn about a few corrupt bishops (which he's removed and replaced with...other bishops, wow), that crap is business as usual for any large organization. It's the misogynistic, patriarchal, homophobic, greedy, criminal, self-serving 19th century beliefs and actions that I care about, and he's apparently not planning on doing anything about those.

Last edited:
By the way, I just read in the news, that Pope Benedict actually fired 400 priests for child molesting in the final 2 years of his term - but apparently it was kept secret and things were handled in silence. The numbers were released now, because he Vatican currently has to answer the UN committee for human rights in Geneva in that matter.

Just wanted to throw that in.

Being "defrocked" is a long way from putting them up on criminal charges. Child molestation and rape cases are still being handled in secret and within the church rather than the courts. Those 400 are just the ones that managed to "convicted" in an in-house trial. Please

The maximum penalty for a priest convicted by a church tribunal is essentially losing his job: being defrocked, or removed from the clerical state. There are no jail terms and nothing to prevent an offender from raping again.

Last edited:
By the way, I just read in the news, that Pope Benedict actually fired 400 priests for child molesting in the final 2 years of his term - but apparently it was kept secret and things were handled in silence. The numbers were released now, because he Vatican currently has to answer the UN committee for human rights in Geneva in that matter.

Just wanted to throw that in.

You just wanted to throw that in to support 'wooflepoof' argumentation, right? :blink:

Being "defrocked" is a long way from putting them up on criminal charges. Child molestation and rape cases are still being handled in secret and within the church rather than the courts. Those 400 are just the ones that managed to "convicted" in an in-house trial. Please

Correct me if I'm wrong but putting them up on criminal charges is not something the church can do.

Sexual assault reports move from the individual churches all the way to the Vatican where it is then handled secretly and internally rather than going straight from the report to the police or whichever relevant authority. The parties involved are then either shuffled off to another diocese or fired and that's all she wrote. That's the wrong fucking answer; especially when we're dealing with cases of child rape.

Last edited:
Pan died, now Jesus is on his way to joining him.

Christianity is on the way out, the Pope knows he is losing followers along with the other Christian faiths. At least in the Western World. I don't see Atheism replacing Christianity however. I'm guessing we'll see something along "the Universe is God" come in and take over. Christianity is fighting a changed society, religions never win that fight.

I think as more people discover reality, they will stop believing in fairies and religious nonsense. While they may not come out and openly describe themselves as atheist, they will effectively become that. Statistically, the "nones" are the fastest growing religious affiliation.