News: Porsche 718 (Boxster & Cayman)

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
The Boxster and Cayman will receive the 718 model designation together with a bespoke 4-cylinder boxer engine.

Porsche has announced the facelifted Boxster and Cayman will be renamed the 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman.

While the name sounds superfluous, Porsche says the 718 designation is meant to recall the ground-breaking Porsche 718 from 1957. The name also recalls the company's history of offering a flat four-cylinder engine.

As Porsche points out, the 718 RSK scored a class victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1958 thanks to a powerful and fuel-efficient four-cylinder engine which produced 142 hp (105 kW). The company's 919 Hybrid LMP1 also uses a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and it recently won the manufacturer?s and driver?s championship titles in the World Endurance Championship.

Besides announcing the name change, Porsche confirmed the 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman will show more similarities both in terms of design and performance. The company declined to elaborate but previous reports have suggested the cars will be offered with turbocharged 1.6- and 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines that produce up to 286 hp (213 kW).

Both models will be introduced next year and Porsche confirmed the 718 Boxster will cost more than the 718 Cayman.

boxster-1.jpg
boxster.jpg

cayman-1.jpg
cayman.jpg

Before poeple fall off their chairs over Porsche switching to 4-cylinders for their entry level sports car, remember cars like the 356, 904, 914, 924, 944, and 968. Their entry level car had a 4-cylinder until the 968 was discontinued and the Boxster was launched in 1995. They also won Le Mans and the championship this year with a 4-cylinder.

Last edited:
Being upset that an entry-level Porsche has a 4-cylinder is like being upset that not all Camaros and Mustangs have V8s. What's the point?

Being upset that an entry-level Porsche has a 4-cylinder is like being upset that not all Camaros and Mustangs have V8s. What's the point?
Because this would be like NO V8s being available in Camaros or Mustangs at all. That NA flat six is GONE, kemosabe.

And don't believe the line about the flat six being available in higher trim like a GTS. Not going to happen. Best case scenario is any future GT4 or Spyder might get it, but now you're in the six figures.

This is why I got mine when I did. This change has been coming for a long time, but crystallized in 2014 when Porsche was caught testing turbo fours in these cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Before poeple fall off their chairs over Porsche switching to 4-cylinders for their entry level sports car, remember cars like the 356, 904, 914, 924, 944, and 968. Their entry level car had a 4-cylinder until the 968 was discontinued and the Boxster was launched in 1995. They also won Le Mans and the championship this year with a 4-cylinder.
1) These cars are still going to be priced like the six cylinder ones (higher, even)\
2) The flat six song has been THE trademark for Porsche for a long time now, and for many enthusiasts (myself included) taking it away from a car that's had it since 1997 is like taking away your PS4 and handing you a Colecovision.

I knew it when I bought it: this will be my first, and last, Porsche.

It was envitable that the Boxster would downsize to a 4-cylinder...
Sadly, I agree with this.

I'm going to go home tonight, hug my car and blow in its ear. Then I'm going to pour out a 40...

I am more stumped that they are gonna price the Boxer higher than the Cayman.

I don't know what their current prices are, but i was always under the assumption that the Boxer was entry, the Cayman mid and the 911 top... :blink:

I am more stumped that they are gonna price the Boxer higher than the Cayman.

I don't know what their current prices are, but i was always under the assumption that the Boxer was entry, the Cayman mid and the 911 top... :blink:
To be fair, the Cayman's price was only marginally (for a Porsche) higher than the Boxster. For all intents and purposes, they are the same car. The reported power differences are nothing more than software trickery. They WERE both the entry level models, but that role has now been filled by (don't shoot the messenger) the Macan.

but that's okay, Porsche is definitely working on a more affordable sports car for the lower end of the market.

ha hah, they've been saying that for aeons now.

It is still a 4 cylinder boxer engine, not an inline-four. Makes a huge difference to me...
Yes, of course 6 cylinders are always better than 4, but I think this is fine as long as the 911 has all six of them.

Interested in seeing, feeling and hearing one.

I wish they'll get air cooling and be real Porsches once again :tease:

It is still a 4 cylinder boxer engine, not an inline-four. Makes a huge difference to me...
Yes, of course 6 cylinders are always better than 4, but I think this is fine as long as the 911 has all six of them.

Interested in seeing, feeling and hearing one.

I wonder if they are going to burble like Subarus? That wouldn't be terrible.

[video=youtube;MCrMJ5sQX-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCrMJ5sQX-Q[/video]

:cry::cry::cry:

For the record, I think burble or no burble, this 4 cylinder will sound terrible for this car.

Last edited:

Not even all Subaru's burble like they used to anymore. The burble comes from the unequal length headers that they have used for a long time, but the new engine that they put in the WRX (based on the BRZ/FRS/GT86 engine) uses equal length headers so it sounds more like a Inline 4....

Unfortunately, it sounds like this engine is the one they'll use going forward, so the burble will probably be completely gone soon. Other then the noise, its a much better engine that is more efficient and makes better power with less displacement, so its not all bad.

To get the burble, Porsche would have to design it in. Sounds like they didn't go that route though.

Who said anything about being upset? We'll just laugh at them, that's all :p

I'm going to go home tonight, hug my car and blow in its ear. Then I'm going to pour out a 40...

You do realise you now got teh One Of 'em Laaaaaast proper thaingz, eh?

I wish they'll get air cooling and be real Porsches once again :tease:

^This^. Californian Singer 901 shown the world Porsche everybody wants.

The burble comes from the unequal length headers that they have used for a long time, but the new engine that they put in the WRX (based on the BRZ/FRS/GT86 engine) uses equal length headers so it sounds more like a Inline 4....

Again there's something sexy, created by imbalanced thing, and they take it away from us for their cheap ideal of "do it right".

^This^. Californian Singer 901 shown the world Porsche everybody wants.

if they have the money for a fourth car...
don't think anyone singer owner would want that car as his daily driver

You do realise you now got teh One Of 'em Laaaaaast proper thaingz, eh?

Yep, not like the first Porsche was a middle-engined sports car with a four cylinder boxer-engine... Or was it?
800px-Stuttgart_Jul_2012_62_%28Porsche_Museum_-_1948_Porsche_356_Nr._1_Roadster%29.JPG