News: Porsche 718 (Boxster & Cayman)

I've had the chance to ride shotgun in 718. By no means it sounds bad, it certainly more characterful than most straight four turbos. However, it doesn't burble like a Subaru, it's not as exciting.

Like the Subarus with unequal lenght headers (Porsche has those), at idle it sounds much lager than 2,5 liters (I rode in S). At higher rpms the burble fades away to a very similar, somewhat coarse note of the GT86/BRZ. It's hard to describe: there are plenty of noises, some somewhat characterful, but it isn't a tuneful engine. It doesn't have that glorious howl so typical of naturally aspirated flat six Porsches.

But then again, Boxster and Cayman always had an engine that felt way too exotic for that price point. Now they've fixed that, to get a Porsche with exotic engine you have to get a 911 (3.0 turbo is still great sounding engine, even if not as great as previous NA engines were).

I've had the chance to ride shotgun in 718. By no means it sounds bad, it certainly more characterful than most straight four turbos. However, it doesn't burble like a Subaru, it's not as exciting.

Like the Subarus with unequal lenght headers (Porsche has those), at idle it sounds much lager than 2,5 liters (I rode in S). At higher rpms the burble fades away to a very similar, somewhat coarse note of the GT86/BRZ. It's hard to describe: there are plenty of noises, some somewhat characterful, but it isn't a tuneful engine. It doesn't have that glorious howl so typical of naturally aspirated flat six Porsches.

But then again, Boxster and Cayman always had an engine that felt way too exotic for that price point. Now they've fixed that, to get a Porsche with exotic engine you have to get a 911 (3.0 turbo is still great sounding engine, even if not as great as previous NA engines were).
You work in automotive journo? Cool beans.

- - - Updated - - -

But then again, Boxster and Cayman always had an engine that felt way too exotic for that price point.
Damn skippy, that's why I bought mine when I did. I'm just sad that future owners won't get to appreciate the undeniable highlight of this car. That amazing engine.

You work in automotive journo? Cool beans.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn skippy, that's why I bought mine when I did. I'm just sad that future owners won't get to appreciate the undeniable highlight of this car. That amazing engine.

I'm glad I got mine too. I think about getting a newer one (have a 2006 Cayman S) and I have to think it would either be the 987 Cayman R for the highest power, lowest weight, Cayman with the hydraulic steering, or a 2016 981 GTS. (I'm ignoring the GT4 because that just isn't ever going to be in the cards)

[video=youtube;HREhuvhtE-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HREhuvhtE-w[/video]

I'm glad I got mine too. I think about getting a newer one (have a 2006 Cayman S) and I have to think it would either be the 987 Cayman R for the highest power, lowest weight, Cayman with the hydraulic steering, or a 2016 981 GTS. (I'm ignoring the GT4 because that just isn't ever going to be in the cards)
Yep, like Jim Corrigan Im glad I bought my 981 Cayman when I did. I hear its already positively affecting 981 GTS resale values now that only the 718s are officially for sale

Just saw my first 718 in person. It sounded absolutely fantastic IRL.

No! It doesn't!
It can't be true!
:p

In stead of making a new thread, I decided to unearth this from it's not so shallow grave. I think it's worth it, as it is big news!

Today, Porsche launched the new 718 GTS, which features the same 4,0L flat six as the 718 GT4 and Spyder, only in a slightly detuned state. So far, it is only available with a 6-speed manual. No word on the US pricing yet, but don't expect it to be cheap, it starts at just over €80K in the EU.

The Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and Boxster GTS 4.0 arrive to tempt enthusiasts by packing a 4.0-liter naturally-aspirated flat-six engine and exclusively running through a six-speed manual gearbox. If the 718 Cayman GT4 and 718 Boxster Spyder are too extreme or expensive for your tastes, then this pair might be the ultimate Porsche to fulfill a person's driving desires.

The 4.0-liter flat-six in these models produces 394 horsepower (294 kilowatts) and 309 pound-feet (419 Newton-meters) of torque. The redline is at 7,800 rpm. For comparison, the version of this mill in the Cayman GT4 and Boxster Spyder produces 414 hp (309 kW) and 309 lb-ft, meaning that 718 GTS 4.0 buyers give up just 20 hp (15 kW) versus the range-topping models.

porsche-718-boxster-gts-4-0.jpg

porsche-718-cayman-gts-4-0.jpg

porsche-718-cayman-gts-4-0.jpg

It makes sense to put the 6-cylinder in the GTS, it cost Porsche a lot to develop that for the GT4 and Spyder and make it emissions compliant past 2025. Porsche will therefore need to fit that engine into more cars to spread the cost. I can imagine that it will show up in a couple of 992s as well, probably the Touring.

On a side note, this was a missed opportunity to bring back one of Porsche's classic naming schemes. They could have called this the 718/6, and then renamed the base 4-cylinder car 718/4, like they did back with the 914.

so why would you still get a 911?
this looks better, has the engine in the right place, and now even has the same engines!?

this is the porsche i would get! (cayman at least)

so why would you still get a 911?
this looks better, has the engine in the right place, and now even has the same engines!?

this is the porsche i would get! (cayman at least)
Couldn't agree more.

Also, in a few years will we have some people selling the previous generation as RARE TURBO FOUR CYLINDER?

Last edited:
Eh they are big enough to put a kid in, true for the GT# cars but then they are significantly faster than any 718
Fair point

^Someone went to try find that out:

Not totally accurate, as that is a GT4 they are comparing it to, but the difference to this new GTS is that the latter does without the GT3 suspension, aggressive aero, and has a slightly calmer engine.