News: Porsche 718 (Boxster & Cayman)

^Someone went to try find that out:

Not totally accurate, as that is a GT4 they are comparing it to, but the difference to this new GTS is that the latter does without the GT3 suspension, aggressive aero, and has a slightly calmer engine.
They are also comparing a GT# 718 to a Carrera, they aren’t comparing a GT# 911 to a 718, which is what @Redliner and I were actually talking about.

Glad to see they put the six in the 'regular' cars. Now I'll have a newer one to strive for in a decade ?
You’ll have to fight me for it.

Actually, no. Don’t get me wrong, this car is AWESOME and if I were in the market now for a Porsche this would be the one I’d go for, but having owned my GTS for nearly 5 years now (wow...) I can say that short of a track day, the long gearing with 340 hp (yes yes, the 981 Box GTS was rated at 330 and the Cay 340, but Porsche... was... LYING) already makes it damn near impossible to fully enjoy the noise and the speed without getting impounded (not hyperbole! I actually did it).

I’m keeping mine 4 lyfe, yo.

That is definitely true. I can flog the little 2.7 and only be moderately in excess of speed limits. If had a faster one, well, I may as well be in a Challenger SRT8 with little respect for tires or my license ?

Reviews of both the 718 Boxster and Cayman GTS are out. (EVO) Unexpectedly, they are both considered brilliant, despite the long gearing.

[718 Boxster GTS]

At a shade under 66 grand the Boxster GTS seems like astonishingly good value, given that it shares the same engine with the more expensive 718 Spyder, itself one of the best value sports cars money can buy. An Audi R8 Spyder costs twice as much but is no more engaging to drive. Same goes for the Mercedes AMG GT Convertible. And if you think the slightly cheaper BMW Z4 is anywhere near the same league as the new flat-six Boxster GTS, think again. Truth is, at this money the GTS has no serious rivals.

So here’s the bottom line. Unless you value the Spyder’s bespoke looks at eight grand more and are going to do lots and lots of trackdays, the Boxster GTS is so similar to it dynamically, and is so good to drive in isolation, it has to be the better value car, maybe even the better car full stop for pure road use. To all intents it feels like the same car from behind the wheel, give or take the last five per cent of the dynamic envelope. And that makes it quite some sports car at a mere 65 grand.

[718 Cayman GTS]

The Cayman GTS costs £64,088, and quite frankly it is an absolute bargain at that price. A BMW Z4 gets nowhere near it. Even an Audi R8 at almost twice the price can’t match it for excitement and/or thrills in many respects. If the GT4 felt like the best value sports car on sale at 75 grand, the GTS goes one better at 64 grand. To be clear, this car has no rivals at this price, and not many rivals at twice the price.

Edit: Added some video reviews:

Last edited:
That was impressive especially the mid-corner grip of the car.
This guy seems to think it could go even somewhat faster:
He seems to be fairly accurate, but until Porsche actually does it, we will never know for sure.

One observation: It seemingly revs to 9000 rpm, that makes me think it actually uses the 992 GT3´s 4,0l engine. (I doubt Porsche would develop two 4,0l flat sixes that both revs to 9000 rpm) Even if it's as fast or faster than a GT3, you'll never hear that from Porsche. Even if the test car had some break issues (as suggested in the video above), compromising it's lap time, Porsche's PR dept. will be fine with it having a slightly slower time than the 992 GT3.

And now it is official.

The highlight is that it does have the 992 GT3 engine, but with a twist. The intake manifold draws its combustion air through the space where the back 3/4 windows used to be, and it goes straight into a big air box right behind your ears, the induction noise will be very dominant.

21416535-7C95-480D-AEB7-E76B67A64074.jpeg

And there is also a race car…

Shame it doesn't have proper multi link suspension.