Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla

2019-porsche-718-cayman-gt4.jpg

718-cayman-gt4.jpg

718-cayman-gt4.jpg

718-cayman-gt4.jpg

rp-spyder-5-lede.jpg

718-boxster-spyder.jpg

718-boxster-spyder.jpg

Both cars feature a 4-litre NA flat six with 420 hp, connected to a six-speed manual transmission only (for now). More here.

Last edited:
YES

I am a huge fan of the GT4 since the previous version, but HOT DAMN the Spyder is looking great.

I’ll be in my bunk.

Do I read "718 with a 6-cylinder" there? Yes please.

Also, great slogan at the end of the video: "Perfectly. Unreasonable." :D

Interview with (Head of Porsche's GT-cars) Andreas Preuninger at Goodwood FOS this year:

Some driving scenes with the GT4:

Meanwhile the owners of the turbo-four models who keep claiming “our cars are faster, we don’t care about the noise” are now all scrambling to find loose change behind the couch cushions to trade in for one these properly engined Coxsters.

Meanwhile the owners of the turbo-four models who keep claiming “our cars are faster, we don’t care about the noise” are now all scrambling to find loose change behind the couch cushions to trade in for one these properly engined Coxsters.
I actually don't mind the turbo-four, and looking around the turbo-four seems to win over a lot of doubters who actually gives it a chance and takes one for a spin. Sales of the 718 are from what I can see, about level with the 981. I think the 718's problem is the price. In stead of increasing the price by five grand over the 981, they should have reduced it by five grand across the board due to the lower perceived value of a four cylinder. Also, the base 981 was known for being quite lacking in the torque departement, and the sound, while nice, wasn't really a GT3, the tall gearing didn't help either. If it was my money, and I was looking for a base Cayman (not an S or a GTS), I'd actually get the 718, rather than the 981 for this reason.

That being said, Porsche is definitely up to something. 718-mules without GT4/Spyder bodywork has been spotted testing, sounding very much like 6-cylinders, so I guess the six-pot may make a comeback in the 718 GTS when it's facelifted (looks like GTS bodywork). This is consistent with what Andreas Preuninger said in one of the interviews; It cost Porsche a lot of money to have this new (non-GT3) 4,0L atmospheric six developed, and it is emissions-homologated way past 2022, so it would be silly not to use it in more cars.

Last edited:
I actually don't mind the turbo-four, and looking around the turbo-four seems to win over a lot of doubters who actually gives it a chance and takes one for a spin.
That's why my previous post focused only on the sound, not on the actual performance. I even predicted (not that hard) that the 718 would be objectively be better than the 981 in all aspects... but sports cars are about emotion, and to many (including myself), the stirring wail of the flat six was paramount to the Porsche experience.

Sales of the 718 are from what I can see, about level with the 981. I think the 718's problem is the price. Instead of increasing the price by five grand over the 981, they should have reduced it by five grand across the board due to the lower perceived value of a four cylinder.
Completely agree.

Also, the base 981 was known for being quite lacking in the torque departement, and the sound, while nice, wasn't really a GT3
You're also comparing a 50-60k car to a 150k car there...

the tall gearing didn't help either. If it was my money, and I was looking for a base Cayman (not an S or a GTS), I'd actually get the 718, rather than the 981 for this reason.
Or you could get a 981 S. Still less torque than a base 718, but if low end grunt is that much of a priority, I'd rather a Corvette, myself.

GT4 RS?

porsche-718-cayman-gt4-rs-spy-photos.jpg

porsche-718-cayman-gt4-rs-spy-photos.jpg

Looks like it gets the full GT3 RS treatment for aero, with the brake cooling ducts on the bonnet, and motorsport inspired swan-neck mounts for the huge rear wing, looks like it's almost the same size as the current GT3 RS wing.

Wonder if they will stick to the "lesser" 4,0l engine or go for the full fat 9K rpm GT3-engine. Will also be interesting to see if they are continuing to offer a manual in this one, or if it will be PDK-only like the 911-based RS models.

wow, that's one ugly wing...
but that car looks so much better than any 911 if you ask me

Remove the “how did that get Tüv?” wing and I’d drive it. Dead sexy in my opinion.

The only wing uglier than this is the one from the Senna.

Besides that, it look awesome.