Porsche 911 photomanipulation

pdanev

Forum Addict
My first manipulation of such scale, spent a few hours on it. For some reason in the process I must have made some step which generated an incredible amount of noise. I guess either unsharp mask to the whole image by mistake instead of only 1 sector or some blending mode, no clue... Too bad because it's no good above this size.

Final product:
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/24/DSC019642small.jpg

Original:
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/01/24/DSC01964original.jpg

As for the process, the background is combined from multiple images. The harbour/cranes are from Rotterdam, some of the skyscrapers from Singapore and Hong Kong. I didn't expect an award winning picture from a photography point of view, as I don't have the resources or material quality to do that, it was more of a photoshop exercise as I haven't done this on such a scale. I wanted the final product to be made only from pictures that I have taken, and I wanted it to be realistic.

There might be some errors here and there, I lost somewhat the overview after so many hours staring at the picture, but overall I think the result is pretty good. I hope that the average person wouldn't notice that the picture is composed from multiple shots/locations, which is what my ultimate goal was. :)

PS: I went for this yellow 911 because I quite like the car, but felt that the original image is rather dull and does no justice to the nice car. Picture was taken on the first FG meeting at the ring.

Not bad, it seems as if the Porsche is actually on the ground which can be really tough. The lighting is also not that bad, the Porsche doesn't seem out of place.

I would desaturate the crane a little bit so that it fits in with the rest of the background. Other than that it looks sweet! :cool:

Yep, that's why I used the original piece of asphalt it was on. I just brought out the texture a bit, but otherwise from the original picture the whole foreground stayed. Then added a guardrail to make it look like a highway or so.

Thanks for the comment. :)

Nicely done, in fact the stuff you added was great. Only on small thing, the shadow round the front seems to be doubled, one sharp one and one slightly faded, as if there are two light sources.

Other than that, :thumbsup:

Nicely done indeed, I didn't know the background was from multiple sources until you told me.

Actually, on first viewing it I thought it was a normal photo and all you'd done was black-and-whited everything that wasn't a 911.

So that is nicely done indeed!

Great stuff actually, but the halo does irritate me, perhaps you should've adjusted the lighting on the car on a seperate layer?

I'm not sure I get your point completely, can you elaborate a bit more on it?

I'm not sure I get your point completely, can you elaborate a bit more on it?

There is a halo around the car, that I guess is from your dodging tool when manipulating the lighting on the car. If you masked off the car, and did the lighting editing on the seperate layer, you won't have the halo effect (the brightening of the background around the car)

I didn't use the dodge tool, and I didn't adjust the lightning of the car or around it (apart from shadow/highlights on wheels). All the backgrounds I used had similar lightning conditions so I didn't have to adjust much. Most of the color adjustments I made were applied on the whole composition (1 exception, the desaturated colors on the background).

I don't see a halo/glow whatever you wish to call it around the car tbh, perhaps a small amount on the front which may be the result from a soft focus filter, which is more visible on lighter parts of the image. But then again, that was applied to the whole image.

:dunno:

Might be the result of different monitors/calibration.

And after I studied it for a while and finally regained consciousness I found a pile of drool on my table.

That's a really great job man. It blends in with the new bg so well.

I also have no clue about this halo. Maybe VorteC sees halos around cars? Drugs are bad for you my friend. :p