Porsche 911 styling by deja vu - how would you redesign it?

I'm really satisfied with the styling, but it would be more perfect (for me) if it's lower to the ground whether the roof or the whole car it's self to improve the center of mass.

Something else I wish that they would do, is to move the engine to the middle, and gearbox to the front, or come out with an idea or something to equalize the weight distribution.

Wat?

lol, I made a mess there didn't I :p

Yes you did. If you have an engine at the rear, and a gearbox at the front, you need to have a driveshaft taking the power to the front of the car, and then another one for taking it back to the rear wheels, which is wasteful and completely pointless.

Yes you did. If you have an engine at the rear, and a gearbox at the front, you need to have a driveshaft taking the power to the front of the car, and then another one for taking it back to the rear wheels, which is wasteful and completely pointless.

Yeah I just realized that.:rolleyes:

if they held off on the updates, and only announced a new car when it really was a new car then they would be fine.
Why, the MLUs are great, they help iron out bugs and improve the car. And I'm sure it helps with sales also. And Porsche is far from the only manufacturer to do it, Lamborghini to Nissan, they all do it too.

lol, I made a mess there didn't I :p
I'm sure someone would pay money for a mid engined front-wheel drive 911.

In short, I am of the belief that the 911's distinct styling points come from the physical requirements of having the engine where it absolutely should not be on any sane car, and having the headlights sharply cut into the front end. It seems that with every iteration of the 911, the headlights creep forward just a teeny tiny bit.

Hey the car is over 40 years old, of course it's going to have sagging tits!

porsche-panamera.jpg

:puke:

I agree that they really didn't think properly when they decided to style their other models off of the 911. I guess they wanted the unique porsche look, but you can attain that look without it trying so hard to look like something else. You know what I mean?

I think these days the whole elliptical headlight thing has gone out the window, it's all about parallelograms and trapezoids and sharp edges and whatnot. Porsche's styling is just anachronistic IMO.

I think these days the whole elliptical headlight thing has gone out the window, it's all about parallelograms and trapezoids and sharp edges and whatnot. Porsche's styling is just anachronistic IMO.

To me, that's a good thing. I hate those bloody headlights that wrap themselves around half the car and only stop because the designer finally had to go for lunch.

Last edited:
Round Headlamps FTW.

02.jpg

img_3010.jpeg

alfa-brera-s-20-05-08.jpg

I'll bet the Italians would do it. The Germans definitely wouldn't, though.

Last edited:

If I'm not completely mistaken, Didn't Ford RS200 have layout like that? :lol:

If I'm not completely mistaken, Didn't Ford RS200 have layout like that? :lol:

but it was an AWD rally car, so at least theres some power delivery to the front wheels

what? really? surely they could make them pop-up a bit less aggressively then?

Back on topic
to be honest I would the side window look more like that of the Targa than the standard Carrera cars, I think it looks better

I've always heard that's the reason no cars have them these days, you'd never get approval and if somehow it did the likes of Eeuro NCAP would tear its pedestrian safety rating apart.

Who knows though, it could be more a case of car designers just not wanting to use them anymore. I don't think it's entirely an aesthetics issue though since everyone likes popup headlights... don't they.

I thought it was because it was very easy to have a mechanical failure resulting in no headlights.

I thought it was because it was very easy to have a mechanical failure resulting in no headlights.

Nope, the last few cars to have them (RX-7, Miata, Esprit, etc) all had the kinks worked out and they work flawlessly.

Porsche just needs to hire back the people who designed the 928, which is one of the best automotive designs of all time. How many other cars designed in the early 70's could be released in this day and age and still look modern with only a few tweaks?

I do agree while the shape essentially shouldn't be touched the car needs an overall size reduction

The turbo has become a soft, comfy GT car.. sure, quick one, but still..

I do agree while the shape essentially shouldn't be touched the car needs an overall size reduction
My thoughts exactly...

I think the over all shape is just right for the 911 as it is; I'd only wish they shrank it down to the original 1963 911's dimensions or even more. Something like the 356 in size, and remove the useless rear seats. It would also bee good with a new lightweight construction. The current composition of high-grade steels, while relatively heavy, is perhaps the stiffest and strongest in class. Despite this the 911 weighs only marginally more than the all alloy Lotus Evora. Imagine how light the 911 could be with an aluminium chassis and kevlar body panels. That would also do them not only a lot of favors in therms of performance, but also in fuel consumption and CO2 output. Lighter car = better.

Judging by the spy shots of 998 mules around, they do give the impression that the 998 will be physically smaller than the 997.

just build 993s with aircooled engines for eternity