Porsche 918 Concept

Almost completely off topic but I just realised the Cynget looks like a little escape pod for when your Aston decides to spontaneously combust.

Lamborghini needs to make something like that for the Gallardo.

The 918 doesn't look much like a Porsche. This allows it to look good, as all other Porsches are either fugly or just plain boring.

I think the reason why this looks so strikingly good, is that it looks unmistakably like a Porsche.

I see a lot of references to previous Porsche sports, and racing cars of the past. The 718 RSK Spyder is perhaps the biggest classic influence, while it leaves no doubt that the Carrera GT has been used as a basis. I also see a good bit of 917 in the front lights. It also brings to mind the original Boxster Concept of 1993. Basically it has the same familiar front end and head lights in particular that identifies almost all Porsches; a good bit of Carrera GT, but taken a step further. The mid section also shares a lot with the Carrera GT, with the "flying buttresses" incorporating the classic "Speedster humps" behind the headrest, that used to house the intake manifolds on the classic racing cars like the 718 RSK and the 908-3. The rear end has a lot in common with the Carrera GT again.

I have mixed feelings about this car. As a concept, it's an awesome design -- definately bears resemblance to the Carrera GT with its powerdomes, moving parts (I love moving parts), and different-sized wheels at the front and back (which should take a sizeable chunk out of your wallet each time you have to swap rubber). But my main criticisms are mostly aesthetic. What worked for me about the Carrera GT was its subtle design, smooth body panels, and flat look. So, when comparing the 918 Spyder concept to its predecessor:

- The styling's much too busy. The amount of carbon fibre, for example, meshing with the silver in front and in the interior doesn't sit well with me.
- The powerdomes and doors are too high and the front wheel arches are too exaggerated. It looks like a supercar that's too much off the ground, but it's probably because there's a lot more metal visible and a shorter wheelbase (at least in profile view).

In the end, it is a concept -- designed to draw as much attention to itself as possible and not entirely finalized. Then again, the Carrera GT didn't deviate that much in design between when it was first revealed in 2001 and when it was finally produced in 2004. Overall, it is a proper Porsche, but, given the money, not one I would want to own. More satisfying to see other owners enjoying it on the streets of Beverly Hills instead. Make it more road-legal and change some styling cues, and I would think about it. Such as:

- lose the front carbon fibre splitter look
- change the square headlights
- flatten the front wheel arches
- smooth out the front bonnet
- put the exhaust tailpipes in the back
- smaller/lower powerdomes so rear visibility is less of a pain
- more silver panelling (silver fuel filler caps, silver spoiler mounts and upper vents pictured on page 3, etc.)
- silver alloy wheels
- six-speed manual
- three-point seat belts instead
- and maybe some real rocket launchers too!

Maybe it's because I don't follow Porsche racing that I don't appreciate the 918 Spyder design as much as I should. But here's a side-by-side comparison between the two supercars to elaborate what I'm on about. They've been scaled under the assumption that both their back wheels are 20 inch rims.

Click to Enlarge

- lose the front carbon fibre splitter look
- change the square headlights
- flatten the front wheel arches
- smooth out the front bonnet
- put the exhaust tailpipes in the back
- smaller/lower powerdomes so rear visibility is less of a pain
- more silver panelling (silver fuel filler caps, silver spoiler mounts and upper vents pictured on page 3, etc.)
- silver alloy wheels
- six-speed manual
- three-point seat belts instead
- and maybe some real rocket launchers too!
Short: You want Porsche to make this awesome piece of work look like something we've seen already.

Excuse me, but in case that any Porsche engineers/ designdepartment employees are reading this thread:

Please do not listen to what Mr. Zaris wrote.

Sorry, but the world doesn't need another Carrera GT, it deserves to stay unique.

Short: You want Porsche to make this awesome piece of work look like something we've seen already.

Excuse me, but in case that any Porsche engineers/ designdepartment employees are reading this thread:

Please do not listen to what Mr. Zaris wrote.

Sorry, but the world doesn't need another Carrera GT, it deserves to stay unique.

This is accurate. Not only does this actually look better than the Carrera GT, but we should be celebrating that Porsche didn't just break out the photocopier and actually designed a new car.

It'll obviously look more like a Carrera GT when they reveal the production model.

Holy shit, I just realized how the spoiler rises from the boot:

1002_04_z+2011_porsche_918_spyder+rear_three_quarter_view.jpg

That is the best looking rear spoiler ever.

I still don't get the plastic spinners. It's not bling. It's just not.

I still don't get the plastic spinners. It's not bling. It's just not.

It's not bling, it's reduction of air resistance. Same reason why race bikers have "solid" wheels instead of spokes.

It's not bling, it's reduction of air resistance. Same reason why race bikers have "solid" wheels instead of spokes.

I was being sarcastic :p But it seems they were inspired by the F1 wheel covers which are much the same...

Saw the thing in the flesh yesterday and 1)it is stunning 2) it's much smaller than I thought.

It is isn't it? When I went on Saturday I expected CGT size, but when I saw it, it was almost MX5 size...

Which is awesome! it's like a super lotus elise.

I like the "plasma cannons" on the rear -looks like they took JC's advice.. GUNNNSs!

Ulrich Bez defending the Cygnet while taking a firm hit at Porsche:

"Thirdly, we need to bring the company?s fleet carbon emissions down. The Cygnet is perfect for that. This is just a small, stylish and efficient runabout: it doesn?t need batteries or flywheels to be that way. So it?s not pretending to be something it?s not.?

(well, atleast I read it like that)