Porsche 991 (997 successor)

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
Here is a little teaser of what the 997's successor is going to be like:

Key points are that it's going to be slightly longer and wider than the 997, yet somewhat lower. Engines will offer more power. There will also be more aluminium in it's construction, so it will most likely be lighter as well. However, I have highlighted the most important bit; Great to see that Porsche understands the joys of an H-pattern manual and a clutch pedal, unlike the rest of the herd of sheep who seem to be going flappy paddle only...

High-value production captures the next-generation 911 as it undergoes testing in South Africa

Here's a teaser video from Porsche for the upcoming 2012 911 codenamed 991.

We get to see the new 911 in this high-value production as the model undergoes some testing amidst the enchanted landscapes of South Africa.

Just last month we reported some new details on the model which came from a leaked Car & Driver report as the magazine was covering the 911 development team in South Africa.

We'll re-list them for you here:

• Carrera S to have 400 HP
    Carrera to have 350 HP, share 3.4 liter engine with Boxster S
    2 transmissions: 7-speed manualand 7-speed PDK
    Launch Control available on both transmissions
    2.5 inches (6.4 cm) wider, 4 inches (10.2 cm) longer wheel base to accommodate HYBRID drivetrain in 2016 mid-cycle refresh
    12-15% improved fuel efficiency (European cycle)
    electronic parking brake
    full-length sunroof
    19-inch wheels standard on Carrera, 20-inch on Carrera S (20-inchers optional on Carrera)
    N?rburgring lap time: 8:04 for 991, 7:50 for 991 S. "Best setup" in 7:37.
Sauce WorldCarFans...

So it's going to be like all previous versions. Basically the same as its predecessor, but slightly better in every way. It's evolving, man.
I do like the sound of a really tall 7th gear, just for cruising. Wonder what the gear layout looks like. 7-speed dog leg? Me likey.

Nothing quite like the sound of an H6 Porsche unit. Love it.

Technically 997.5 successor. ;)
I still wanna see how, different/similar it looks.

This sounds really cool in comparison to the weird/mainstream choices being made by most everyone else. I'm just wondering why does it have to grow? I wish sports cars were immune model bloat. If Nissan can make the 370Z lighter and smaller than the 350Z why can't Porsche keep the 911 a proper size? I know the new ones aren't big cars by any means but the classic 911's were tiny.

Sounds like this growth is so they don't have to do any redesigning when they shove a hybrid drivetrain into it in a few years.

Sounds like this growth is so they don't have to do any redesigning when they shove a hybrid drivetrain into it in a few years.
That's part of it. Additionally, it will provide more interior space and a dash and console shared with the Panamera and Cayenne. The conservative german weekly "Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung" has a road test:
http://www.faz.net/artikel/C30215/neuer-porsche-911-junge-kraft-und-neue-liebe-30466075.html

tl;dr and/or for non-german speakers: They say they love it but everything they tell about it (longer, wider, longer wheelbase, spacier cabin) sounds like "it will be more of a GT and less of a sportscar".

There was a very brief shot of the interior in that video aswell - looks very much like the Panamera interior, which isn't a bad thing.

2 transmissions: 7-speed manualand 7-speed PDK

Actually it is one transmission - the PDK dual-shaft gearbox is used in both for engine positioning reasons (they are moving the engine slowly forward). The only difference between the two is selection method.

By 7 speed manual are they saying 6 + reverse or is it 7 forward? What kind of pattern would be a 7 forward speed be?
Most likely seven forward with six close ratios and a very tall seventh gear like the current PDK.

Yeah, do want. 7 speed manual: dat cruising gear :cool:
My guess is it will probably look something like this: (Just a render...)

1652188943459989143.jpg

Image sauce

Technically 997.5 successor. ;)
I still wanna see how, different/similar it looks.
Not really a 997.5. According to what I have gathered so far, it's a much more thorough makeover than that. The 997 was essentially an improved 996, but this is said to be almost as big a change as that from 993 to 996. Still, looks won't be changed much, so haters will be able to hate on it for that, but much will be changed under the skin.

And one has a clutch pedal?
Seeing as the PDK-transmission is essentially two manual gearboxes joined together, I'd imagine one is operated with an electro-hydraulic clutch like other DCT's. Whereas the other (as in the 'manual' option) is operated fully manually by a clutch pedal and a lever, like an ordinary manual.

Last edited:
I've always been kind of a Porsche fan but this is the first 911 (except for the 993) that I actually want to own! One Carrera S in dark blue please :)

I've always been kind of a Porsche fan but this is the first 911 (except for the 993) that I actually want to own! One Carrera S in dark blue please :)

Is there any delicious info on how much power the Carrera S will get? Will it break 400?!