Spied: Porsche 991 GT2 RS

See, to prove the point.. I wouldn't. If given the free choice between a 991.2 GT2 RS and a 1200hp GTR, I'd take the Porsche at least 9/10 times.

See, to prove the point.. I wouldn't. If given the free choice between a 991.2 GT2 RS and a 1200hp GTR, I'd take the Porsche at least 9/10 times.
:nod:

But what if it was a 1,000hp muscle car? :p

:nod:

But what if it was a 1,000hp muscle car? :p

See, now we're talking, and further confirming the point that cars are not just statistics on paper ;).

To answer your question: Would depend A LOT on the muscle car, and in many cases the Porsche would still be my pick.

See, now we're talking, and further confirming the point that cars are not just statistics on paper ;).

To answer your question: Would depend A LOT on the muscle car, and in many cases the Porsche would still be my pick.

I am trying to appeal to your inner Texan...so, 1000hp truck? :lol:

I am trying to appeal to your inner Texan...so, 1000hp truck? :lol:

Again, depends on the truck. But I really don't need the 1000hp that you are trying to lure me with. Sure, more power is always better, but it is not everything :p.

So lets deal: Instead of the GT2 RS, I'll have a GT3 RS, a mint '69 Charger or '66 GTO, and a used V8 Raptor. Ok? :D

:lol:
Fair enough!

80-gt2rs3_51a3d5804f43112a9838c2b1fc660cfd277a3193.jpg

80-gt2rs_8c9b607142f9bde8d8ff2a5cd722f49b8f176d52.jpg

80-gt2rs4_dfd74bd93b87859c2df3566287a0bd8166ef9973.jpg

80-gt2rs5_1a2c92f6fea96192eaa1668a09560d8db18a322b.jpg

Found them here. Will be shown at Goodwood.

Edit: Microsite is up. :)

Last edited:
Looks more like a toy or bad tuning than an RS model. :(

But it'll be Rasur enough for sure; it's a Porsche.

Afaik you can have it plain as much as you want from the factory, these are the options that were orderd the most in the last gen GT2 (red interior, black decals)

I don't mind the interior, I meant the bodykit ...

Plus, compared to the 488, you can be seen in even the most obnoxious of Porsche's without being rightly labeled a massive wanker

I disagree. Any Porsche with an obnoxious wing screams wanker.

I think the bodykit is similar to current gen GT3 RS, but the colorscheme just make it eve more pop out. It almost feels to me like they were trying to copy the outlaw 911's style, but failed hard.
As for the big ass GT racing wing I have to agree. Oldschool whale wing and active wing the turbos get a pass imho. 488 in darker color, like dark blue or green metallic could get a pass to.

Last edited:
I don't understand. The GT2 is supposed to be the window licking-clinically insane purists' Porsche Turbo. So they get rid of AWD in favour of RWD, but they don't offer the option of a manual gearbox?

I dislike this car on so many levels. Guarantee I see some 18 year old shit driving one on daddy's money in the escalating dick swinging contest that is Vancouver or Richmond.

I don't understand. The GT2 is supposed to be the window licking-clinically insane purists' Porsche Turbo. So they get rid of AWD in favour of RWD, but they don't offer the option of a manual gearbox?

You got a point.

Probably the same argument as on the 991.1 GT3, too much money to develop the configuration yadda yadda...

But I suggests this is purely to to it being the quickest 911, and as it's a proper Rasurklinge it'll maybe do a laptime below 7 minutes ...

I agree with Mitchi. Also if you want an overpowered 911 with a turbo, RWD and manual, try RT 12 from Ruf. The last R version had 720bhp and a 6 speed manual.

Some road tests are now in. It is every bit as awesome as the hype suggested.

Autocar:

How fast is the new 911 GT2 RS, exactly? Officially, 6min 47.3sec around the N?rburgring, where we are not testing it; and nor are we at Mira, Nuneaton. Unofficially, however, it?s ?f***ing ridiculous?, according to racing driver Richard Attwood, who turns up, unrelated to what we?re doing, at Porsche?s Silverstone experience centre, our base for this test.

If it wasn?t a chance encounter, you suspect Attwood might have been briefed or ushered aside by a Porsche PR person; he hasn?t tried a GT2 RS, but thinks it?s a pretty stupid idea to send 690bhp through only two driven wheels, through Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 rubber, and put it on the road to be driven by anybody at all. And he knows a thing or two about ridiculous cars, having won Le Mans in 1970 in a Porsche 917, which probably counts as one.

[...]

Despite the ball-jointing, the steering is neither fierce nor full of disruption. It?s just relatively lightly weighted, brilliantly communicative and fabulously responsive. All of a sudden, the battle for the accolade of ?best power assistance on the planet? has a new contender in its midst.

And the power fits into all of this where, exactly? Remarkably, wherever you want it to. There?s some turbo lag ? it would be impossible for there not to be ? but this engine is phenomenal, with a level of responsiveness and linearity that not many years ago would have been unthinkable on this kind of turbocharged output.

Here, you ask for a certain amount of poke and, after a (very) short amount of time, you get it: no more, no less, at any revs, right through to the 7200rpm limit.

And if you ask for it all? Goodness me. The official numbers clock this car at 2.8sec to 62mph and at 211mph flat out. It feels every bit as responsive and urgent, to me, as a hypercar. Our test route took us from Silverstone to Millbrook and back again, where it finished with some laps of the National Circuit. The 911 GT2 RS?s level of control on back roads is terrific. The ferociousness of the performance on Millbrook?s high-speed bowl never gets boring. And the poise, agility and approachability on a big, flat race track is overwhelming.

[...]

Here?s the thing: the GT2 RS?s ridiculousness is kept largely checked, unleashed only when you want it to. And even when you do give this car everything, it isn?t wayward, it isn?t outrageous, it isn?t dangerous. I don?t think Porsche knows how to do anything other than ?honed? these days, even in a car with a larger-than-life character and with such absurdities of performance.

[video=youtube;8kkR1CUc-io]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkR1CUc-io[/video]

CAR Magazine:

Obviously there?s the extra pace, which scrambles your brain with its ferocity, but the low level of turbo lag is impressive too. Okay, so we?re not talking GT3-like throttle response, but we?re not talking McLaren-like pauses either. Get the turbos blowing and the pull is beautifully linear all the way to the 7000rpm redline, by which time, you?re actually quite happy not to have to deal with a manual ?box (the GT2 is PDK-only) because it?s all got rather busy at the side windows.

The Turbo and Turbo S sound pretty dull, but the GT2 has a real evil sound to it. Again, it?s nothing like the shriek of a GT3, which winds 2000rpm higher, but it?s definitely got some character. But nothing compared to the chassis. By normal standards the GT3 is a sensation. Bit of a dead spot at the centre of the steering, but otherwise a masterclass in how to entertain and engage a driver. The GT2 makes it feel almost ordinary. The steering is sublime ? and this is an electric rack, remember. And what you feel through the Alcantara rim (and the seat of your pants) is huge grip at the front from Michelin Cup tyres that gently erodes into understeer on tighter corners.

On the quicker stuff you can get the rears to do the same, but it never feels scary thanks to the stability of the four-wheel steer system and the lenient, but subtle ESP system.

[...]

Is it really worth ?100k more than a GT3? We can imagine plenty of people saying so. This is as close to a proper racing 911 you can buy and still legally use, it steers and handles noticeably better than a GT3, communicates more clearly and is still relatively useable.

It?s an incredible machine, but in a way it inadvertently shines a light back on the GT3. Pace aside, the GT3?s engine is so much more exciting and involving, you have the option of a manual transmission and you save a packet.

They feel like very different cars, though. The real test will come in 2018, when the revised 991.2 GT3 RS arrives offering all the serious chassis and body tweaks of the GT2 but with less weight and a 9000rpm naturally aspirated sting in the tail. It could well be the best of the lot, though by then, the GT2 will likely have sold out.

porsche-911-gt2rs-57.jpg

porsche-911-gt2rs-63.jpg

porsche-911-gt2rs-56.jpg

EVO:

Having drunk in the sheer visual menace of the Porsche 911 GT2 RS as you approach, the first thing that grabs your attention is the noise. When the valved exhaust is ?open? (on start-up, high load or with the little exhaust button pressed) the titanium system is effectively straight through from the short manifolds, and the colossally deep boom that erupts dominates the area around the car. Rev the engine at a standstill and it?s loud, really loud, the exhaust roar overlaid with the hysterical whooshing of the enlarged turbos and all manner of spits and bangs. It?s been a very long time since a Porsche turbo sounded quite this angry, and it?s either a warning or a promise - or both - of what?s to come.

Yet initially the GT2 RS can be deceptive. Leave the PDK ?box in auto, keep your finger off the exhaust button and the RS can amble along with nearly the comfort and refinement of a standard Carrera. The cabin is nicely trimmed, there?s leather, alcantara and carbon everywhere, and the ride quality, while undeniably firm, has that polished precision that almost laughs at the kind of normal bumps and ruts found on an average urban road. It?d be easy to commute in a GT2 RS, and that?s absurd: absurd because of what happens the first time you really open the throttle.

The engine?s response has a ferocity that?s difficult to convey in words. It doesn?t ?do? turbo lag, and yet it has all the glorious sensations associated with a traditional high boost turbo engine. The huge torque output is available in its entirety from just 2,500rpm, yet that peak of 691bhp doesn?t arrive until 7,000rpm, just 200rpm short of the limiter. What that means is when you open the throttle wide it thumps you in the back, hard, but then pulls to the red line as though neat petrol is being thrown on a raging fire.

[...]

With the GT2 RS the initial miles are all about the engine and the performance it produces. It?s those early miles that make you realise how much you love proper turbo engines, how at last the GT3 might no longer be the default driver?s choice in the range. It is the Porsche turbocharged flat six with its mojo back; it sounds a lot like someone?s let a 962 loose on the public road. But there is more to the GT2 RS - a lot more. That Nordschleife lap time wasn?t just about raw power, it was about handling balance, stability and grip, all attributes quickly apparent in the RS?s armoury.

[...]

Naturally, the weighting and accuracy of the steering is never in question, and the damping remains untroubled by whatever it?s tasked with. Not once, even on winding, tough mountain roads, did the massive front splitter even kiss the tarmac. You may even start to take a few liberties with the throttle (having switched the stability control off), which is massively intimidating at first, but which if you persevere with you?ll discover that the RS has a broad range of adjustability aided by millimetre perfect throttle calibration, albeit with the sensation of walking a pretty high tightrope at all times and without the comfort of a safety line. The RS never lets you forget nearly 700bhp is being transmitted through the rear wheels only.

[...]

Porsche?s GT cars have always looked surprisingly good value against competitors with a similar performance and focus, but with the GT2 RS that pricing strategy has evolved into something much more inline with its exotic rivals. The GT2 RS is McLaren 720S or Lamborghini Huracan Performante money - but then it doesn?t need to fear either of them, or pretty much anything else for that matter.

rp-porsche-911-gt2rs-silverstone-120.jpg

rp-porsche-911-gt2rs-silverstone-114.jpg

gt2_rs_drivekf_030.jpg

Motor Trend:

The all-wheel-drive system that?s standard on modern 911 Turbos helps deliver superb stability and traction. Our hot laps in the GT2 RS on the fast and demanding 2.9-mile Algarve International Circuit in Portim?o, Portugal, revealed there?s still a subtle art to driving a high-powered two-wheel-drive 911. The GT2 RS builds speed so explosively and grips so hard in steady state cornering that the effects of its unique weight distribution are amplified; you?re aware of the mass of the engine slung out behind the rear wheels more than in any other modern 911.

For our track laps, Porsche had the rear wing on the track setting to generate maximum downforce over the rear axle but left the front splitter on the normal road setting. That helped balance the GT2 RS over Portim?o?s fast midcorner crests and the slightly off-camber downhill sweeper onto the main straight, provided you maintained a constant throttle?lift off, even a fraction, and the rear end instantly started dancing. Patience is just as important as aggression in the GT2 RS; understanding this, knowing when to unleash the power and when to hold back, is the key to a fast lap in this car. And it will be fast: Andreas Preuninger says the GT2 RS is on average 15-mph faster than a GT3 RS on any given racetrack.

It?s not just the 700 horsepower that?s responsible. And it?s not just the mighty 553 lb-ft from 2,500 rpm to 4,500 rpm. It?s the way they come together. The 3.8-liter GT2 RS engine makes its peak power at 7,000 rpm, at which point it?s still developing more than 516 lb-ft of torque. That?s unusually high in the rev band for a turbocharged engine and is the reason the GT2 RS feels so astonishingly quick between 6,000 and 7,000 rpm. And although it might lack the scalpel-sharp throttle response of the naturally aspirated GT3 RS engine, the turbo motor?s weapons-grade torque, culminating with that dramatic top-end punch, arguably makes the GT2 RS easier to drive fast. Even, as counterintuitive as it might seem, in slippery conditions.

?You have to drive it differently,? concedes Preuninger when asked to compare the GT2 RS to the GT3 RS. ?But because it has so much torque and such a wide rev band, you can make good use of it. You can be so quick in wet and damp conditions, short-shifting because you have so much torque, and because of that you get a more stable car.?

On the road, the GT2 RS recalibrates the space-time continuum. Torque and traction hurl you out of corners, and the lightning-quick shifts of the heavy-duty seven-speed PDK transmission?it uses parts from the 918 Spyder?barely interrupt the relentless acceleration. Porsche?s unquenchable PCCB carbon-ceramic brakes?16.1-inch rotors with six piston calipers up front and 15.4-inch item with four piston calipers at the rear?are standard on the GT2 RS, and they earn their keep, hauling the car down from ridiculous velocities with impeccable consistency. The GT2 RS is one of the quickest canyon road cars we have ever driven, right up there with the Ferrari 488 GTB and the McLaren 720S.

And when you?re not driving it hard, the GT2 RS is surprisingly amenable on the road. Switched out of Sport mode and left to its own devices, the PDK transmission shuffles quickly through the ratios, riding the torque to get into the highest gear possible as soon as possible for relaxed cruising. You?ll also want to make sure the shocks are switched out of the super-stiff Sport mode?that?s calibrated only for smooth, dry racetrack work?and that the exhaust is in normal mode to muffle any booming drone on constant light throttle. Although tight, the standard ride calibration is not uncomfortable. The biggest downside to long distance cruising is road noise, a by-product of using race car-style metal ball joints for all suspension. If you want a grand turismo 911, buy a Turbo S.

[...]

The 2018 Porsche 911 GT2 RS makes you wonder whether there really is a law of diminishing returns. Just when you think Porsche couldn?t possibly extract any more pace and performance out of the 911, it turns around and builds a car like this. It?s tempting to suggest this GT2 RS might be the greatest 911 ever. But all we can say is, it is until the next one.

The appearance of this testing at Monza has also sparked some speculation. Will they race the GT2 RS, or are they testing out some sort of extreme aero package for the road car? The driver is riding the curbs pretty hard.

Looking forward to more in depth videos reviews from the likes of Chris Harris, and the testers at EVO. :)

Last edited: