Spied: Porsche 991 GT2 RS

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
The Porsche 911 GT2 RS is now testing at the N?rburgring, and the turbocharged terror wears a much more aggressive body than in the previous batch of spy photos from evaluations in the arctic.

This test mule has most of a GT3 RS body, but additional parts should keep the high-performance biturbo engine running cool. The massive intakes in the front bumper don?t make for a beautiful design, but the large openings suggest the need for lots of airflow. The canards on the corners and downward sweeping LED strips are neat touches, though. The bulbous extensions for the side intakes should help gulp even more air, too. At the rear, extra holes in the bumper would help release the heat, and Porsche spaces out the exhausts more than on the GT3.

There are no drivetrain details yet, but rumors suggest a figure around 700 horsepower driving the rear wheels. The figure seems reasonable given that the current 911 Turbo S has 580 hp and last GT2 RS made 620 hp.

Porsche plans to launch the GT2 RS to cap off the 991 generation, and that means we should see it around 2018. Before then, the GT3 will receive a facelift to look more like the refreshed 911 lineup. Don?t worry, though, because the company will keep it naturally aspirated. We?ll possibly even see a limited run of even higher spec GT3s in the next few years.
Source 1, source 2, source 3.

A couple of pictures of the slapped-together test-mule:
porsche-911-gt2-rs-spy-photos.jpg

porsche-911-gt2-rs-spy-photos.jpg

Seems interesting that they are going straight for the GT2 RS right away, without bothering to make a "normal" GT2 first. The obviously unfinished aero seems to indicate that the final spec may be a bit more extensive than even the GT3 RS, with the rear diffuser and with the dual front dive planes. It may be that Porsche finds that the GT3 is getting fast enough for it's purpose, and that they want to have a turbo engine in the most focused track-car, in which case no more GT3 RS. I wonder how fast this will be, as the 991-GT chassis has proven itself capable of handling big power and torque figures, it will now get the power and torque it deserves.

700 horsepower driving the rear wheels.
:blink:

Video from the N?rburgring about a week ago:

In other (related) news, the GT3 will get a freshup as well, will have a manual as an option:
The manual gear lever was completely hidden from view however, the Gen2 steering wheel was noticeably bereft of the paddle shift levers seen on the PDK-equipped prototypes also in attendance during the test, while the tachometer?s gear indicator was conspicuous by its absence.

Away from the transmission mysteries, the redline on the rev counter can just be made out at the 8,800rpm mark, heavily suggesting that the Porsche 991.2 GT3 will come equipped with the GT3 RS?s 4.0-litre, 500hp flat six (a move which further strengthens the manual gearbox rumours thanks to the 911 R association).

Styling wise, this latest test mule gave little away about the next 911 GT3, although a leaked computer render from Porsche Netherlands last week suggested that the new car will get only minor tweaks, including the new 3D-style rear lights, upgraded PCM and a Cayman GT4-esque front bumper.

porsche-911-gt3-refresh.jpg

Obviously a manual:

Picture source.

Said computer render of the new GT3:

2017-porsche-911-gt3-leaked-image.jpg

Last edited:
520 kW is about 700 hp.

So, less then a Dodge Hellcat?
Pah, how awful...:p:lol:

^he said disappointed?

No, just a rough conversion for non-aussies (still don't like the use of kilowatts for cars' power output).

But not exactly what you would call great value at ? 260.000 if true...

The 991.2 GT2 RS will probably be able bring you to a track in relative comfort, run all day on a track day without overheating, brake failure etc. (or any other problems) and bring you back home again.

The others will do the first and last, but not the second.

When paying better part of 300k you don't buy a car based on value for money but rather "I want that one"

When paying better part of 300k you don't buy a car based on value for money but rather "I want that one"
This x 1 000 000.

The GT3 and the R are the only super 911s that give me the feels. For GT2 money, I'd go straight to the Lamborghini store and say "Huracan me, bitch!", or I'd venture to Aston Martin and say "Vanquish, if you please."

Last edited:
For GT2 money I would buy one of those Jensen Interceptors that has been upgraded to be as good as modern car and drop a decent blown V8 in it.

Then I'd kick a girl in the plums.

For GT2 money I would buy one of those Jensen Interceptors that has been upgraded to be as good as modern car and drop a decent blown V8 in it.

Then I'd kick a girl in the plums.

Would you grow a proper 'stache though?

Sure, but 300k might make a lot of people go "I would rather want that one" like Jim shows:

The GT3 and the R are the only super 911s that give me the feels. For GT2 money, I'd go straight to the Lamborghini store and say "Huracan me, bitch!", or I'd venture to Aston Martin and say "Vanquish, if you please."

Sure, but 300k might make a lot of people go "I would rather want that one" like Jim shows:

Not really, at those prices people will not look at any factors other than want. Jim doesn't have that want, others do. Also at those prices it will not be their first "super" car.