• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Porsche Cayman S

I think it's like a boxster coupe. I got some mail from porsche on it, they really hit the advertising hard.

It's basically a Boxster with a mid-mounted 911 engine.

The Caymans are a bunch of islands near Cuba and Jamaica, owned by the UK. Great place to hide dirty money, apparently. Don't know if the crocodiles live there though. :p

What was wrong with just giving the cars numerical designations? The names Porsche have come up with so far have been...less than stellar. Boxster isn't bad, but Cayenne and Cayman are just awful.

Cant say for sure as its not out yet, and the verdict isnt in. But I think this may be my next car. I'll probably wait 2 years, and pick one up used with low miles. debadging might be needed though. heh

Supposedly its going to be quicker round the track then a 911.

general said:
Cayman are crocs in the amazon jungle.very big

No, Caymans are smaller than crocodiles.
And there are also a line of island called Cayman Islands (not sure if that is it's english name or not) but I think it's named after the animal.

Caymen are very small, quick and extremely agile crocodiles, all of which sums up the car really (Porsche's words...)

I don't think that name is stupid, those who calls this the Gayman are gay them selves... This is gonna be a no compromise blokeish car...

marcos_eirik said:
Caymen are very small, quick and extremely agile crocodiles, all of which sums up the car really (Porsche's words...)

I don't think that name is stupid, those who calls this the Gayman are gay them selves... This is gonna be a no compromise blokeish car...

Or atleast are homophobic.

The fact is that Porshce screwed up the name. When you look at the car's badge from afar, its very easy to mistake the C for a G. There are tons of agile animals Porsche can name the car after, and it ended up with Cayman :thumbsdown: . Very few people know what Cayman means anyway.

i read an article about why porsche is getting away from numerical designations...and it all revolves around the north american (american mainly) market.

porsche was very concerned after september 11 2001 that the 911 desigantaion would be considered disrespectful, and would put the company in a bad light...so it started really pushing the name "Carrera" for its main car...while it quickly dropped the 911 designation in north america (aparently the new 911 is still called he 911 carrera S in europe...not just the carrera S as it is here)

so they have decided to only use numbers as a model designation, and avoid any more unfortunate associations.

personally i think the names cayenne is a nice name...as is cayman...both sound distinctive. still I would rather porsche had continued to name their cars after great races...but i guess pontiac kinda screwed that up for everyone!