Porsche Cayman vs. Crocs Cayman

speedmeist3r

Car(s)
987 B 3.4 S (M)
http://money.cnn.com/2009/11/10/autos/porsche_vs_crocs/index.htm

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Can you tell the difference between a plastic shoe and a luxury sports car?

Porsche, the famed German car company, is entangled in a legal spat with Crocs, the maker of rubber shoes. At issue: The shoe company's use of the name Cayman for a line of footwear.

Porsche also has a product called the Cayman, and it claims that Crocs' (CROX) use of the name infringes on Porsche's trademark.

In Porsche's case, the Cayman is a two-seat hard-top sports car with a starting price of about $51,000. Crocs' Cayman is the familiar rubber clog with thick soles, holes covering its upper surfaces and a starting price of about $30 a pair.

The blog Footnoted.org spotlighted the quirky legal fight this week after finding it disclosed in the fine print of Crocs' most recent quarterly report, which Crocs filed last week.

Crocs Europe, a division of the Niwot, Colo.-based shoe company, received a letter from Porsche on May 11 claiming that the Crocs' use of the Cayman name violated Porsche's trademark rights. Porsche demanded that Crocs immediately stop using the name, and also requested payment for the legal costs incurred in writing the cease-and-desist notice.

That was followed on July 30 by an injunction against Crocs Europe's use of the Cayman name in Germany.

"The company intends to vigorously defend itself against these claims," Crocs said in its quarterly filing.

Neither Crocs nor Porsche was immediately available to respond to a request for comment on the legal spat.

url

url

Hmm, they do look awfully similar.

how can you get a trademark for the name of a type of animal?

Are they going to sure the US Emergency Service, the pepper, and the September 11 attacks too?

On a side note: I passionately despise Crocs and the people who use it.

Mario Batali is the only person who can wear them.

Crocs are better than Uggs, however. I want to be violent when I see someone with Uggs <takes medicine>

I can't believe Porsche is doing this. No one in legal at Porsche thought "hmm, its the same name, but its a tacky little shoe. This won't affect us at all, lets do nothing." Instead it was "Thats a tacky shoe and will drive down sale of our car. We must defend our reputation from this shoe".

I kinda wish I had that picture of that guy with the sign that says "way to go morans" (instead of morons)

So Porsche is suing Crocs for misspelling "caiman" the same way? Meh, whoever wins, still loses.

Holey Soles > Crocs

They should only be allowed as medical devices. I know several older people with rods in their ankles/feet and these are the only shoes they can wear for any length of time.

However...

Unless you're at least mildly handicapped, put on some fucking shoes, or at least a pair of god-damned sandles.

Last edited:
F_200709_September0_355407a.jpg

So you hate the nurses and doctors who take care of you in the hospital? :lol:

Two of them are so ashamed of having to wear crocs they're covering their faces.

And the one on the left is clearly their mental patient.

Agreed. Porsche deserves to win whatever sum of money would put Crocs out of business.

If this lawsuit means that Crocs will go out of business, I support it. Every single pair of those tacky shoes should be melted down for oil, so it can be refined to power my car.

They should only be allowed as medical devices. I know several older people with rids in their ankles/feet and these are the only shoes they can wear for any length of time.

However...

Unless you're at least mildly handicapped, put on some fucking shoes, or at least a pair of god-damned sandles.

All of this. Crocs are like the sweatpants of shoes, only much worse.

I just hope that the people that make Havaianas decide to release a series of even more hideously overpriced flip-flops under the name 'Cayenne' ...