Porsche develops oil line specifically for its older models

M_Bolc

Car(s)
2015 Audi A3 1.2TFSI
I like how Porsche constantly keeps on developing and improving even for its older models. For example they recently released a new tire option for Carrera GT owners.

Porsche Classic has launched a new range of engine oil specifically for its classic air-cooled flat-four and flat-six engines.

The new Porsche Classic Motoroil has been created in collaboration with the Porsche Development Centre in Weissach and has been uniquely blended for both 356 and air-cooled 911 models.

There are two blends of Porsche Classic Motoroil:

20W-50 ? for all 356, 914 and 911 models up to the 2.7-litre G-Model
10W-60 ? for all flat-six 3.0-litre engines up to the 993 911
The oils are focused on air-cooled engines: these, reveals Porsche, create unique demands on engine oil. Ready for an air-cooled Porsche engine oil geek-out?

The thermal load is higher than water-cooled motors, so the oil works harder to keep the engine cool
Because there?s a greater oil capacity, it has a longer heating time, thus requiring unique cold running behaviour
High power outputs per litre creates high compression and high pressures which, along with characteristically different temperature zones of air-cooled engines, ?means that the oil needs a high ?hidden? performance reserve?
Engines are compact and lightweight, with short conrods in relation to piston stroke ? creating high lateral piston forces which places high demands on the lubricating film stability of the oil
Both blends of engine oil have been balanced to be ?as advanced as possible and as traditional as necessary?. Both have also been tested both in extensive lab trials and also in practical tests.

Why has Porsche developed a classic engine oil range?

Porsche has developed the oils because, it says, while modern oils are technically better, they?re not necessarily ideal for air-cooled engines. For example, a 0W-30 oil is great for low engine resistance and cold-start behaviour in modern engines ? but in a 356, it can lead to leaks and greater oil consumption due to higher production tolerances and lower operating oil pressure.

Modern oil detergents can also be too much for classic engines ? ?it is important that the deposits which have built up over decades are not suddenly dissolved and that seals are not corroded? says Porsche.

The fact classic cars are often parked up for long periods of time, then moved intermittently and used for short trips, has also been considered: the oils have been designed to compact both condensation buildup and ?acidification? of the oil fill that can be caused by aggressive combustion residues. Features include a high alkaline reserve which neutralises this.

Oil made by Porsche for classic Porsches? We?d say it?s going to be an almost certain best-seller ? and that?s before you even consider how cool the cans are?

linky

0W-30 oil is great for low engine resistance and cold-start behaviour in modern engines ? but in a 356, it can lead to leaks and greater oil consumption due to higher production tolerances and lower operating oil pressure.

Well no shit. That stuff barely stays inside modern engines, who in their right mind would ever put 0W-30 in a 356?

So it's vintage car oil that finally through impressive feats of development has that special Porsche? mark-up in its pricing. :p

You can still go out and buy the sort of oil that was recommended when the car was built and it wouldn't cost Porsche prices. :lol:

I'd be interested to know the real life effect of the "especially for air-cooled engines" bit given that VW Bugs and Campers have been running normal mineral oil for the last 60 years with no issues at all...

I'd be interested to know the real life effect of the "especially for air-cooled engines" bit given that VW Bugs and Campers have been running normal mineral oil for the last 60 years with no issues at all...
with similar power outputs..

with similar power outputs..
Given they list the same oil for the early 356 motor (60bhp) up to the 1970s 911 (200bhp) it doesn't look like power means very much... Either way, there are still loads of old Porsches on the road running regular mineral oil with no problems.

Ideally you should buy buying oil based on your area's climate and the condition of your engine rather than "because Porsche say it's ideal". Somebody with a 100,000 mile car in Texas would want to be running a different oil than somebody with a freshly rebuilt engine in Russia...

This is likely motorcycle or diesel oil in a different bottle. Motorcycle oil and non-diesel car oil diverged several years back, and car oil has been much the worse for it since. The specs for car oil changed to be more energy conserving and 'environmentally friendly' by removing the anti-wear additives among other things and now older vehicles are having problems with wear that they didn't before. Meanwhile, diesel and motorcycle oil are actually more protective. Anything with the API 'Energy Conserving' stamp is bad news from the wear front.

I'm running Shell Rotella T 15W40 diesel oil in my diesel... but it's also JASO MA certified so I run it in my bikes. As soon as I run out of the several cases of Valvoline MaxLife 20W50 (non-energy-conserving) that I have sitting around, the XJ's going on Rotella T.

The real life 'air cooled' BS is simply that the oil will have a higher flash point intended to allow more operational range in an aircooled motor. Again, something that's been degraded in modern car oil that's been retained in diesel and bike oil.

Last edited: