Porsche Mission R

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla

Porsche Mission R Concept Previews Future Electric Sustainable Race Car​

Porsche’s mission of electrifying its model range continues with the brand’s first EVrace car. The Mission R concept is Porsche’s vision for a future zero-emissions race car built from sustainable materials and offering track performance that rivals its most powerful and best prepped combustion-powered competitors. It is making its debut during the IAA in Munich with the Stuttgart-based company even talking about a potential one-model race car series in the future, though there are no fixed plans for now.

The Mission R is powered by new generation electric motors with a combined peak output of 1,073 horsepower (800 kilowatts) in qualification mode as Porsche calls it. The all-wheel-drive system is good enough for a sprint from a standstill to 62 miles per hour (0-100 kilometers per hour) in just 2.5 seconds, and the top speed is rated at 186 mph (300 kph). In general, Porsche says the track performance of the Mission R matches what the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup is capable of.
Read the rest here. More about it on Porsche's own mini site.

Promo shots:

porsche-mission-r-concept.jpg

From the auto show:

live-photos-of-porsche-mission-r-from-iaa-2021.jpg

live-photos-of-porsche-mission-r-from-iaa-2021.jpg

If I'm going to make an unqualified guess, this is the racing version of the car that will likely be the electric replacement for the 718 five years from now.

I like it, but I'm expecting more from it. Seems like a lot of car manufacturers are launching more EVs nowadays.

I like it, if it wouldn't be eleventy-billion dollars I'd buy it.

Rumour says too that this was a test bench for new electric Cayman/Boxster that will come 2024. Mid engine layout but it is not engine that sits behind you - its the battery.

Well, someone did the thing in photoshop and made it more road-like.

porsche-mission-r-production-renderings.jpg

porsche-mission-r-production-renderings.jpg

Porsche revealed the Mission R concept as a preview of the automaker’s racing future, but there are rumors it’s more than just the brand’s first all-electric race car. The Mission R also allegedly previews the all-electric version of the Porsche 718, which is set to debut in 2024. The concept is a supposedly good indication of what the production version could look like, and a new rendering, in five colors, previews it.

The report noted that the Mission R looks like the Porsche 718 after all the aero bits are removed, and the rendering shows the coupe losing those race-inspired bits, such as the big rear wing, the open front fascia, and the roof wings. The rendering also drops the yellow grille accents while adding daytime running lights and slats to cover the outer intakes. It’s a subtle change, though Porsche could be making bigger ones to a potential production model.

Things are more different along the side of the Mission R, but they blend well into the design. The door extends much lower for better ingress and egress, and the lower portion of the body doesn’t bend in as far into the vehicle, giving it a production-car feel, though there are no door handles. The rendering also receives side-view mirrors on long stalks and new rear window glass. Big wheels replace the concept’s thick tires that fill out the bulging wheel wells.

The all-electric Porsche 718 isn’t a for-sure deal as the company has internal targets it wants to meet, like its curb weight and range, and Porsche hasn’t confirmed anything. It’s rumored to have a rear-motor, entry-level model, while the high-performance trims will have a dual-motor, all-wheel-drive configuration. It’s doubtful the production version will offer as much power as the concept, which delivers 1,073 horsepower (800 kilowatts), which Porsche says rockets the EV from zero to 62 miles per hour (100 kilometers per hour) in just 2.5 seconds.

That someone might be a Koenigsegg designer... :D
Alternatively, whoever designed the Mission R at Porsche may or may not have been at Königsegg or may have become fond of them a couple of decades ago. ?

I like the idea that I would be pretending to be a LeMans racer where the wiper goes right, then left, then back up to stop in the middle when in intermittent mode.