News: Porsche wins internal struggle with Audi

Nugget

Fuck Cancer
DONOR
Car(s)
GT3 RS, Cayenne, Bugeye Sprite, Portofino M
December 7, 2010 - 11:45 pm ET

After months of uncertainty, Porsche has been told by Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn that it will take the lead in developing sports cars and big luxury sedans for VW group. That was a blow to Audi, whose executives and engineers had strongly lobbied for those roles.

Winterkorn's announcement, which came just before Porsche's annual meeting on Nov. 30, will allay fears at Porsche that the Stuttgart-based carmaker would be sidelined as it becomes VW group's 10th brand.

In the future, Porsche will develop VW's so-called "modular standard matrix" that will underpin the Porsche Panamera and future Bentleys. It will also be responsible for a sports car platform for front-mid- and rear-mid-engine cars for Porsche, Audi and Lamborghini.

VW initially wanted Porsche to use a VW-developed sports car architecture for cars such as the 911, a move that was strongly resisted by Porsche engineers, who feared VW underpinnings would not have the stiff handling for which Porsche cars are renowned.

"Porsche is clearly the leading sports car brand in the VW group. This is a brilliant solution -- Porsche gets the chance to develop VW's sports car architecture to its standards, but VW gets tighter control of Porsche's engineering," says Christoph Stuermer, an IHS Global Insight automotive analyst.

As part of its new role, Porsche will add a wind tunnel, design center, electronics integration center and about 100 engineers at its development center in Weissach, near Stuttgart.

Audi will continue to have responsibility for developing VW group's so-called "modular longitudinal matrix," which was introduced in 2007 and underpins cars such as the Audi A4, A5 and Q5. Winterkorn says the number of cars using the architecture will increase to 15 in the mid term.

VW brand is developing the ?modular transverse matrix,? which debuts on the Audi A3 in 2012 and will eventually underpin about 40 models and 3 million units annually, including the next VW Golf.

VW says building cars on shared underbodies, which it calls its "modular toolkit strategy," gives it a key competitive advantage in its bid to topple Toyota as the world's No. 1 automaker in sales and profitability.

The strategy reduces development, procurement and production costs by 20 percent and engineered hours by 30 percent, the company says. It also allows increased production flexibility so the automaker can create more model variants without adding high costs.

Source: Paul McVeigh @ autonews.com

"My photocopier!"
"No, MY photocopier!"
"I saw it first!"

So Porsche will keep the development of 911 exclusively for themselves? No Porsche-based Lamborghini then?

I'm guessing that Audi will become more of a Merc competitor (soft but sporty).

So Porsche will keep the development of 911 exclusively for themselves? No Porsche-based Lamborghini then?

In the future, Porsche will develop VW's so-called "modular standard matrix" that will underpin the Porsche Panamera and future Bentleys. It will also be responsible for a sports car platform for front-mid- and rear-mid-engine cars for Porsche, Audi and Lamborghini.

;)

I'm still waiting for that Panamera based Estoque, Mr. Winterkorn.

Porsche technical know how with Audi/Lamborghini styling... Did I die and go to heaven?

VW initially wanted Porsche to use a VW-developed sports car architecture for cars such as the 911...

I hope I'm not the only one that finds this funny.

Snore. More cars it's impossible to get excited about because you know it's just a new body and badge on the same car that's been out for years under sixteen other badges.

Hopefully, in the big sedans segment Porsche will do the engineering and Audi the styling. Interestingly the new Cayenne design has actually grown on me, but the Panamera design never will.

I'm glad to hear that Porsche still owns themselves (design wise), but I'm not sure I like VW's method. I'd rather see Audi make Audi, Porsche make Porsche, and Lambo make Lambo. Competition is a good thing, and I think internal competition would only help VW. Plus we'd then get distinct cars. Now we are just going to have 3 sports cars that are actually just 1 with different faces, and the same for sedans (though I guess that is currently how things are done).

This sounds really good. I'm still waiting for a new 928 and now it may finally come

Fixed,

And they seem to be well on their way to fucking it all up soonly. That kind of in-fighting reminds me of GM over the years. Soon all of their cars will look the same with different badges, head and tail lights. I give this VW group 5 - 10 years to start loosing grip on the internal politics before the shit hits the fan.

Actually, i don't think this happens, as the VW modular platforms are, as far as i understood, quite flexible in terms of wheelbase and drivetrains, so you can share chassis development cost and bin parts, but still have very different cars.

What could possibly go wrong...

800px-1st_Chevrolet_Equinox_LS.jpg

800px-Pontiac_Torrent_--_08-28-2009.jpg

800px-01-03_Suzuki_XL-7.jpg

800px-2007_Saturn_Vue_Green_Line_.jpg

The Cayenne, the Touareg and the Q7 are all based on the same chassis that is produced in the same factory.

The Cayenne, the Touareg and the Q7 are all based on the same chassis that is produced in the same factory.

Hence they look identical from the side.

800px-2011_Porsche_Cayenne_S_--_08-31-2010.jpg

800px-VW_Touareg_II_V6_TDI_BlueMotion_front_20100722.jpg

800px-2009-2010_Audi_Q7_3.0_TDI_quattro_01.jpg