Posmo's Sierras or something?

Finished putting the new head in today, filled her up with fluids, and generally finished with the car. Went to start it up..

And it doesn't work :cry:

It's doing the exact same thing as before, after starting, the revs quickly rise to 2.5km, and then drop, and it dies :(

Im pretty fed up.

dude any news about the car?

its not runing since October 23rd, 2009?

dont give up :cry:

in what state it is is it the timing problem ? :)

If not, look at the coolant temperature sensor and idle air controller.

dude any news about the car?

its not runing since October 23rd, 2009?

dont give up :cry:

in what state it is is it the timing problem ? :)

The car is sitting in the yard, it will be fixed when the snow melts away. At the moment Im stripping the interior down, Im going to paint the dash & doorpanels black, and cover the headliner with gray suede. Also, there will be forced induction in the future of this car. I could post some pics of it if you'd like, but it's not much to look at at the moment. :)

If not, look at the coolant temperature sensor and idle air controller.

The coolant temp sensor is fine, not sure about the IAC.

The car is sitting in the yard, it will be fixed when the snow melts away. At the moment Im stripping the interior down, Im going to paint the dash & doorpanels black, and cover the headliner with gray suede. Also, there will be forced induction in the future of this car. I could post some pics of it if you'd like, but it's not much to look at at the moment. :)

The coolant temp sensor is fine, not sure about the IAC.

so you are driving that lolvo now?

as i can gues you have some sort of mini garage why dont you keep it there away from snow

and yes i would love to see photos of your car state :)

so you are driving that lolvo now?

as i can gues you have some sort of mini garage why dont you keep it there away from snow

and yes i would love to see photos of your car state :)

Don't have any sort of garage. Atm Im driving a Volvo 940 Turbo estate, but to be honest, I don't really like it :|

I'll post some pictures on thrusday or friday.

Bought something today.

http://img402.imageshack.**/img402/8538/putket1.jpg

Can anyone guess what they are for? ;)

Last edited:
Bought something today.

http://img402.imageshack.**/img402/8538/putket1.jpg

Can anyone guess what they are for? ;)

Turbomanifold? :p

Turbomanifold? :p

Correct! Im not 100% sure if im going to use it, but it's going to be good welding practice, and the tubes were cheap, so why not? Might end up selling it on once im done.

I also might end up sticking it on the car. ;)

Noes, IF...

I'll stop reading this thread in protest!

Don't worry, that's just a letter to inform me of the money they are going to send back to me after I ended the insurance contract :)

Call me crazy, but don't you think maybe you ought to get the engine running and broken in before you even start thinking about forced induction? You've still not got it together and running, let alone the difficulty you've had with parts. I don't know you too well but given what I do know you seem like once you get it working you're going to be hammering the poor thing around every curve you can find to make up for lost time- I don't see that sitting well for the health of the engine, and you're considering force feeding it. That sort of thing should be put off for a good bit of time after you get it all together and running so you can work out whatever kinks you'll have and break it in properly.

^- This man, he has a point.

Call me crazy, but don't you think maybe you ought to get the engine running and broken in before you even start thinking about forced induction? You've still not got it together and running, let alone the difficulty you've had with parts. I don't know you too well but given what I do know you seem like once you get it working you're going to be hammering the poor thing around every curve you can find to make up for lost time- I don't see that sitting well for the health of the engine, and you're considering force feeding it. That sort of thing should be put off for a good bit of time after you get it all together and running so you can work out whatever kinks you'll have and break it in properly.

Im not going to call you crazy, since I don't think you fully understand what I intend to do with this car.

The thing is, that Im planning to break the engine eventually. I can get a new used engine for ~100?, and this one has done a lot of kms and is on the latter half of it's life. When it blows up, I'll buy a new engine and fit proper internals (Saab rods and Mahle pistons) Then I'll have most of the FI parts (IC, extra injectors, exhaust manifold, boost pipes, downpipe etc.) ready for the engine that will actually be suited for the job.

As I said, Im not at all sure if im going to put it on the Sierra, and If I am, im going to make it cheap and cheerful and run 0.5bar max until it gives in. No, Im not the most experienced person in this field, but I have friends who know a lot more about this than I do. Im going to take this as a learning experience, afterall, Im not going to blow up anything expensive in the process. As I said in one of my previous posts, I've ditched the idea of the Sierra being a daily driver, it's purely a project car now. I don't expect it to be capable of reliable transport in the next 2 years, and I don't need it to be, thats what the Volvo is for.

The plan is:

1. Weld up an exhaust manifold as welding practice.
2. Get a cheap turbo (T03 or T25 most likely.)
3. Get a cheap chinese Intercooler.
4. Get extra injectors and run them off an oil pressure switch to provide more juice when on boost
5. New (used) fuel pump to provide more fuel for the extra injectors.
6. Fit Brakes from a V6 model.

And before you say anything about getting the car running first, Im ofcourse going to do it as soon as I can. You try working in sub -20 Centigrade temperatures. Im 100% sure that it would already be running if I hadn't run out of time last Autumn. Im studying to become a traffic engineer, which is going to take the next 3 years of my life, and for that time, Im most likely not going to need a car that much. For that time, Im prepared to keep this as a project, It's a hobby.

We'll see you with adaptech and 2 turbo sierras at the 2018 ringmeet! Mark my words :)

^ why dont you do v6 swap instead?

well after you blow this engine

OR v6 + turbo yeaaaaahhhh

The 12V 2.9i only has 35hp more than the 2.0i that I have, and weigh quite a bit more. The 24V versions cost too much, and are hard to get legally registered in Finland.

How heavy is the engine?

How heavy is the engine?

Not sure, but somewhere around 280-290 pounds I think, it's not light by any means as it's an iron head on an iron block.

Not sure, but somewhere around 280-290 pounds I think, it's not light by any means as it's an iron head on an iron block.

Not the best power to weight ratio, but I'm use to American V8s. I assume there are some aluminum heads available?

Ah, well it makes more sense now, good to see you have a decent plan of action then.

You try working in sub -20 Centigrade temperatures.

Been there, done that. My Mustang doesn't fit in the garage (it hasn't actually been in one for some 15 years), we can go weeks at a time in sub zero temperatures, and we have high wind. The climate I live in is similar to yours, but drier and windier because of the altitude, so I'm familiar with the conditions :lol: