-New oil temperature gauge
-Re-bleeding all the brakes
-Possible new rear brake shoes (bought)
-New front brake discs
-Sanding/filling/painting the front mask panel
-Sanding/painting the rear wing
-Set the ignition with a timing light
-Set the throttle position sensor and the MAF

..I think that's about it.. maybe 3 days work overall, so near, yet so far..

After all the work you've done over the years, that's just some finishing touches. Now go and make it ready, that's what you've been waiting for last couple of years? :)

You need a working oil temp gauge to get MOT? My car does not even have one.

You need a working oil temp gauge to get MOT? My car does not even have one.

Technically i don't need a new sensor, i just need a sensor which doesn't have sheared threads. The current sensor leaks oil from the threads., oil leak=possible MOT problem.

Don't worry, it'll be finished sometime in the next month. :)

EDIT: Changed the oil temp sensor, didn't test for leaks yet. Also found a new lambda sensor for free. :)

Last edited:
Technically i don't need a new sensor, i just need a sensor which doesn't have sheared threads. The current sensor leaks oil from the threads., oil leak=possible MOT problem.

Don't worry, it'll be finished sometime in the next month. :)

EDIT: Changed the oil temp sensor, didn't test for leaks yet. Also found a new lambda sensor for free. :)

EDIT2: Seems to be leak-free now, first thing checked off the list :)

For the MOT:

-New lambda sensor

Why do you need a lambda sensor? The iS doesnt have one originally. Or is it different on finnish cars?
And like Lastsoul said, the rest is just finishing touches :) If that were all i had to do i wouldnt be able to stay away from the car :p

Why do you need a lambda sensor? The iS doesnt have one originally. Or is it different on finnish cars?
And like Lastsoul said, the rest is just finishing touches :) If that were all i had to do i wouldnt be able to stay away from the car :p

I don't need it, but i want it for my lambda gauge. Broke the old sensor (a broken wire sent 12v to the sensor.. :rolleyes:) But a friend promised to give me one for free. :)

Ok. At least yours is running. Mine isn't at the moment :p I am going to update my thread, has been a while since i did :)

Fitted new brake shoes at the rear and cleaned up the drums inside and out today. It's a good thing I did it, since there was some rusted small spring pieces in the drivers side drum just rolling around :rolleyes: . The job was a real pain with all the springs and rust, etc. but Im glad I did it. Got the shoes with the car when I bought it, so it's about time I got them installed :D

Also bought a timing light from a friend and set up the advance to 12 deg. Going to fiddle with it a bit more some other day.

With those 2 bits now done, the car *MIGHT* pass an MOT test. Going to get some transport plates and drive it around for a bit to get all the small problems fixed before the test though :)

http://img580.imageshack.**/img580/8396/riesatiell.jpg

http://img233.imageshack.**/img233/8683/riesariksus.jpg

Drove the car to my apartment and back on wed-thu. Few little niggles, like a missing windshield wiper, an oil cap which disappeared during the trip, and the IAC wire disconnected itself once, the water temp gauge not working, etc. but no major faults. Car passed emissions testing with no adjustments to anything, and I can confirm that the newfound POWEEER is plenty enough for wet DORIFTOO action :) MOT Imminent.

Passed the MOT today on the second try. Failed first time round due to the handbrake not gripping well enough on the drivers side (my own stupid mistake when rebuilding them). Drove 20km back home, fixed the problem in about an hour and drove back, (the total time to fix the issue incl. the drive to and from the MOT station (40km in total) took about 1.5 hours) and for the first time in over 2 years, the Sierra passed an MOT test with flying colours. The brakes were 100% even on the brake dyno (and I do mean 100%, no braking difference between the front wheels or the back wheels). Shock testing was near perfect aswell, and emissions were well withing limits(measured these beforehand). Nothing wrong with the suspension, etc. either.

Tried to keep the going easy for the first day, but I did drive for about 2 hours on the same gravel roads I carved when I first bought the car. Brought back nice memories, and it really is a JOY to drive on a loose surface. The extra power helps quite a bit too, no need to clutch kick at all.

Few pointers:

-Needs thicker oil.
-Need to check valve clearances.
-Need to put the front discs on a lathe, they're warped a bit.

In total I've driven about 240km after the engine rebuild, and the car hasn't missed a beat.

I love this thing.

Last edited:
Congrats man!

You've put a lot of work into that thing and it's seemed to have payed off.
Can't wait untill my car gets to this stage.

Congrats! Good day for Sierras :p I finally fixed mine today too ;)

Done 1050 km's now, everything still works fine. Bought AVO coilovers and a rollcage for the future :cool:

:thumbsup:

Glad to hear!

Im not, took delivery of the shocks, and 1 of them has severely bursted seals, 2 of them only leak slightly.. :cry: Oh well, that's what you get for buying used shock absorbers (Don't do it!) Im going to have the whole set sent to UK for refurbishment for around 200?.. (incl. postage). I paid 300? for the shocks and 8 springs, so the total cost will go up to around 500?. A new set of AVO's is 945? here, and I got 4 extra springs (200?) So if the shocks get rebuilt, I'll still have saved over 600? over a new set.

I was unable to pick up the rollcage aswell since I was unable to get a trailer. The guy promised to hold on to it for me though, so I will get it eventually.

1260km's: The car has developed a couple of strange noises, at 2000rpm, a metallic "resonating" sound, which is most apparent under the car, something loose in the exhaust? And a constant whine from the alternator. Also, the drivers side front wheelbearing is making "dry" noises, so that needs to be changed, already bought a new one.

I've now got a stand for an incar camera aswell, might post some incar gravel road hooning videos if you like. :)

We do like those. A lot.

Will try and post some before winter. :) The car is off the road again now for a while for a wheel bearing change, I've got the new bearing, just need to swap it on.

Anyway, the car has now covered over 1500km's, and everything seems to still be fine (apart from the aforementioned bearing). I've been generally driving the car like an idiot, I can't help myself, it's too much fun on wet tarmac, especially roundabouts :D

Some pics of the car:

At my parents summer cottage, the longest distance I've ever driven the car in one go (only around 300km one way?)
http://img691.imageshack.**/img691/1739/dsci0044x.jpg

On the road going to FoMoCo day at Ahvenisto race circuit. A friends sedan Sierra in front.
http://img713.imageshack.**/img713/9512/dsci0049c.jpg

At the local "burnout parking lot" :p with a friends DCOE -powered Sierra.

http://img52.imageshack.**/img52/4026/dsci0124r.jpg

http://img823.imageshack.**/img823/2998/dsci0128s.jpg

Friends engine bay:

http://img829.imageshack.**/img829/4201/dsci0129v.jpg

All in all I've had a great, trouble-free time with the car, and Im very much looking forward to the winter :) Bear in mind I've NEVER actually driven this car on the snow before, should make for a lot of fun ;)