Possible lead on another host

I certainly hope Dan Neil doesn't become presenter of Gear. His writing may be decent, and sure, he has "Pulitzer-winning" permanently attached to his name, but on camera he passes as Tim Lovejoy and Scott VanPala (of fake-TG "Heavy Metal DVD!" fame) rolled into one: arrogant, phony, and all too eager to bash just to prove his car critic credentials.

He just comes across as unnatural and trying-too-hard, IMO...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSGNbvoLpA

Edit: I guess he's okay when he's not waving his finger around and using his normal voice instead of an "ooh-la-la" whisper. But how is Gear going to differentiate itself from the tens of other American car overview, semi-infomercial programs?

The man seems opinionated and in that short short segment there was quite a bit of info without a complete lack of humor.....incidentally that's exactly the kind of on-TV journalism that Clarkson does....at least in my eyes.

Carolla and this guy could make for an epic team!!! :cool:

Keep in mind that on those video reviews it was likely just him out there with a couple of people as his crew. It would be very different with a full professional crew and a trained director egging him on.

Keep in mind that on those video reviews it was likely just him out there with a couple of people as his crew. It would be very different with a full professional crew and a trained director egging him on.

That does raise a new line of questions for this show: Who's the American show's Andy Wilman, driving forth and making possible the impossible, silly, and nutcase ideas of the less mature presenters and brainstormers? Assuming a show like TG couldn't succeed without one, is there one, or can the star power of a Seinfeld/Leno override objections? I know I'm making assumptions here, but the one about needing a good producer to convince skeptical beancounters/administrators/etc is universal on both sides of the pond.