Possible lead on another host

jbourne

According to Edmunds, sources have told them that LA Times automotive columnist and Pulitzer Prize winner Dan Neil is going to be involved in Gear.

There's been no official word yet from NBC on any of the show's hosts; however, our sources say that Dan Neil, a Pulitzer Prize-winning automotive writer for the Los Angeles Times, will also be part of the show, most likely to add journalistic integrity.

Here is a link to the full article:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=125007

Hells yes. He knows what he's writin about and can write it with the best of them. Bring it on.

If you want to see some of his other reviews, check out his LA times website here:

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil-sg,0,5627290.storygallery
Many seem to come with well-done video reviews. I hope he ends up on screen.

Edit: This from his Mustang Bulitt review:

McQueen's magnum opus, "Le Mans," is about as strange a movie as can be found. The dialogue, such as it is, could be transcribed onto an index card. The plot is somewhere between furtive and nonexistent. It's like Samuel Beckett at 200 mph. And yet, it's a completely captivating document about endurance racing at its most glamorous. If you know what a Porsche 917 or a Ferrari 512M is, then odds are "Le Mans" is one of your all-time favorite films. Only please, don't sit next to me on a plane.

That joke could have been lifted right from the top gear teleprompter! Gear is looking better and better with each passing news tidbit!

Last edited:
If you want to see some of his other reviews, check out his LA times website here:

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil-sg,0,5627290.storygallery
Many seem to come with well-done video reviews. I hope he ends up on screen.

Edit: This from his Mustang Bulitt review:

McQueen's magnum opus, "Le Mans," is about as strange a movie as can be found. The dialogue, such as it is, could be transcribed onto an index card. The plot is somewhere between furtive and nonexistent. It's like Samuel Beckett at 200 mph. And yet, it's a completely captivating document about endurance racing at its most glamorous. If you know what a Porsche 917 or a Ferrari 512M is, then odds are "Le Mans" is one of your all-time favorite films. Only please, don't sit next to me on a plane.

That joke could have been lifted right from the top gear teleprompter! Gear is looking better and better with each passing news tidbit!

That's a great quote about that movie, I couldn't agree more. This guy might be good!

Last edited:
I hate to sound terribly pessimistic but I just cannot seem to imagine anyone being even remotely as good presenters as Jeremy, Richard and James. That alone I think would be enough to keep me away from Gear... But I won't shoot the idea down just yet.

Edit: Also, when I heard about Adam Carolla hosting, I was...... displeased

I hate to sound terribly pessimistic but I just cannot seem to imagine anyone being even remotely as good presenters as Jeremy, Richard and James. That alone I think would be enough to keep me away from Gear... But I won't shoot the idea down just yet.

ha!

As I read more and more negative posts about America's Top Gear, I've realized that the people who criticize it are always...always comparing how inferior it will be to the one and only Top Gear...which is perfectly fine. Everyone has their own opinions.

But, we have to remember where these shows originate in the first place: passion about cars. Top Gear has become more of an entertainment rather than about cars. I don't really care if the presenters aren't as jolly or funny or great as Clarkson/May/Hammond.....what I care about is an American perspective on cars. I want American Top Gear to be more about cars rather than just the hosts personalities.

ha!

As I read more and more negative posts about America's Top Gear, I've realized that the people who criticize it are always...always comparing how inferior it will be to the one and only Top Gear...which is perfectly fine. Everyone has their own opinions.

But, we have to remember where these shows originate in the first place: passion about cars. Top Gear has become more of an entertainment rather than about cars. I don't really care if the presenters aren't as jolly or funny or great as Clarkson/May/Hammond.....what I care about is an American perspective on cars. I want American Top Gear to be more about cars rather than just the hosts personalities.

As you said your entitled to your opinion. But in all fairness I believe that without the personalities the show would be completely dull..

"Here is a Porsche 911....... How pretty... Let's drive it."

That's honestly how I imagine Adam Carolla handling it, he has a very dull sense of humor in my opinion. I honestly don't think it should even be compared to Top Gear because if they try to base it off of Top Gear they're going to fail miserably.

WHAT? Adam carolla is one of the least dull people in entertainment, he might not have been in the best shows on the planet in the past, but when left to his own devices he has shown himself to be more then capable of some top-class entertainment.

And i doubt very much he would say "how pretty", you are completely and totally full of shit.

WHAT? Adam carolla is one of the least dull people in entertainment, he might not have been in the best shows on the planet in the past, but when left to his own devices he has shown himself to be more then capable of some top-class entertainment.

And i doubt very much he would say "how pretty", you are completely and totally full of shit.

I'm just saying I don't think he nor anyone he might co-present with, has a chance in hell of being even an inkling as entertaining as Clarkson, Hammond and May. Call me closed minded but that's what I think....

Also, Adam Carolla is about as funny as a kid with cancer, he has to be one of the worst entertainers in the industry.....

I'm just saying I don't think he nor anyone he might co-present with, has a chance in hell of being even an inkling as entertaining as Clarkson, Hammond and May. Call me closed minded but that's what I think....

Also, Adam Carolla is about as funny as a kid with cancer, he has to be one of the worst entertainers in the industry.....

Ugh why must all threads in this forum degenerate into the exact same argument. Stay on topic, don't derail every thread here.

Last edited:

Gott in Himmell, where DO you people come from anyhow?
"I was...... dispeased". Give me a bloody break. I'm sure NBC will be sure to stop production over your displeasure.

The wonders of the internet.

"I was...... dispeased". Give me a bloody break. I'm sure NBC will be sure to stop production over your displeasure.
:rofl:

I wish I could give you more rep, but I just did about your avatar.

Is it Gene Hunt? Is he kicking in a nonce?

chance in hell of being even an inkling as entertaining as Clarkson, Hammond and May.

Because everything they do is so perfect.... Oh wait, the sports relief special was garbage! And the last two seasons were mediocre at best!

Honestly, this is what i was talking about about fanboyism, you worship a telivision show and make it into this legendary untouchable holy thing, and then you just look an idiot when people come around and call you on it.

Initially I felt the same way, but as time passes on and the more I hear about this the more I'm starting to warm up to the show. It seems the thought that passed through most people's heads initially was that "Gear" would be Top Gear Americanized. This will never work. Instead it seems like NBC is going to just imitate the idea of Top Gear which sounds a lot better since they won't try to copy/paste from Top Gear directly (hopefully).

So long as NBC is building a show from the ground up that is inspired by Top Gear then I think it could work well given proper production and good hosts.

So how about that Dan Neil guy?

The word Gear to these lurkers is like cheese to a rat. They just keep coming out of no where to throw their unoriginal, beaten to death, totally negative speculative opinions about a show that doesn't even have an official cast yet.

So to all those who are going to join FinalGear simply to bash Gear, don't bother and f*ck off. :)

I certainly hope Dan Neil doesn't become presenter of Gear. His writing may be decent, and sure, he has "Pulitzer-winning" permanently attached to his name, but on camera he passes as Tim Lovejoy and Scott VanPala (of fake-TG "Heavy Metal DVD!" fame) rolled into one: arrogant, phony, and all too eager to bash just to prove his car critic credentials.

He just comes across as unnatural and trying-too-hard, IMO...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZCSGNbvoLpA

Edit: I guess he's okay when he's not waving his finger around and using his normal voice instead of an "ooh-la-la" whisper. But how is Gear going to differentiate itself from the tens of other American car overview, semi-infomercial programs?

Last edited: