Possible return of the (Renault) Alpine brand?

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
2010 Renault Alpine Sportscar All But Confirmed?

While Renault car sales in France have been robust in the first half of 2008, in Europe ? its biggest market ? the group is down 4.6 percent. If higher sales and better market penetration is the question, could a sports coup? be the answer? The Cartribe reckon Renault thinks so. They say after an interview with one of Renault?s highest-ranking officials, news was revealed to them of a sportscar similar to the Nissan?s 350Z will be on sale by 2010.

Underpinning this vehicle would be an Infiniti G37/ Nissan 370 Z base, which we think wouldn?t be a lame idea in the least bit, given the outstanding handling characteristics of these two cousins. Moreover, the name Alpine would be the one to carry a sports Renault. You know the name from decades ago when it used to build winning racing cars using Renault engines. Although WCF reported on such a car a few weeks ago, it has been very much a rumour. Up until now.

A Renault proper sportscar we suspect would use a relatively small turbo engine rather than a large V6 block for obvious reasons; weight, compactness, emissions and a possible return of the turbo to Formula One. The car will not be based on any existing Renault car and will be quite different, even radical in styling. Renault desperately needs to justify its multi-million-Euro involvement in F1 and so far, as good as RenaultSport is, it hasn?t happened to the extent desired.

This is just a design model, but it may end up looking like this: (More pics of this model here)
9080727.001.Mini1L.jpg

Source

I have to say I'm really excited about this, baring in mind how good their hot-hatches are imagine how good a proper sports car made by Renault Sport will be. I bet however that it's also probably Renaults answer to the Peugeot 308 RC-Z.

Last edited:
Go sideblades go!

Really though, it's just a sleeker R8.

Renault just announced today they will sell 300.000 cars less than expected :)

And that design study looks like a melted R8 :)

Renault just announced today they will sell 300.000 cars less than expected :)

Is that because nobody wants to buy one, or because Renault want to jack up the price?

It's not a bad looking car, but it is very R8-ish. And why did they put the C3 model on a close up of a road, it looks like a toy. :lol:

And that design study looks like a melted R8 :)

You know what. Chocolate can be melted, and it looks even better so. I like it.. like I like melted chocolate!

They should just do what Nissan does with Infinity. Make a different looking car with the same exact chassis :)

I don't think this looks too much like an R8, it might vaguely resemble an R8 if I squint a bit. On the whole I think it has much more in common with the Alpines of old, (A110, A310, GTA, A610 Turbo etc...) just combined, modernized and adjusted to a proportionally much smaller car. The old ones were known as the "French 911" being a 2+2 sports coupe with a rear longditutionally mounted engine.

A110
800px-Renault_Alpine_A110_Berlinette_1600_SX.jpg

800px-Renault_Alpine_A110_Berlinette_1600_SX_rear.jpg

A310
800px-Renault_Alpine_A310_de_1978-2006-08-17.jpg

GTA/ Turbo
800px-Alpine_GTA.jpg

A610 Turbo
800px-Alpine-p1040141.jpg

a610.jpg

Here by the way is a computer rendering of what the new Alpine might look like:
Renault_Alpine_210_RS.jpg

well, it's still an R8 to me... but looks kinda nice.

Is that because nobody wants to buy one, or because Renault want to jack up the price?

It's because even in the absence of rioting Muslim youths, Renaults will flip themselves over and burst into flames. :D
:lol::mrgreen:

The idea that Nissan provides the base sounds odd, why would they want to have another competitor on the already very crowded market.

By the way, thread starters should remove pictures from first posts in this area if they aren't official.
The idea that a rendering made by some artist has nothing to do with the upcoming car.

It just distracts the whole thread when everyone comments not the news, but the rendered picture which has nothing to do with upcoming car.
Could we please try to focus on what is relevant?

The idea that Nissan provides the base sounds odd, why would they want to have another competitor on the already very crowded market.

By the way, thread starters should remove pictures from first posts in this area if they aren't official.
The idea that a rendering made by some artist has nothing to do with the upcoming car.

It just distracts the whole thread when everyone comments not the news, but the rendered picture which has nothing to do with upcoming car.
Could we please try to focus on what is relevant?

Renault & Nissan already sell a competitor car, the Versa/Clio (though I don't know if the Versa is sold in Europe under the Nissan brand). However if they build the car with enough distinction from the Z/Skyline I could see it selling. Also, if Renault wanted to sell the Alpines in North America or Japan, they could use Nissan's dealer network, and since it would use similar parts, drivers wouldn't have to fork over an arm and a leg for repairs; and there will be a ready and willing aftermarket already built into the platform.

Of course I'm also wishful thinking that they'd bring the Alpine to the States if they do go ahead and make it. So you could just ignore the bit after "Renault & Nissan share the Versa/Clio".

Yes please...... hope Alpine do come back, with a Cayman and Evora rival. Hopefully cheaper too...

Perhaps they want a dependable car? :lol: Nissan and Renault both own about 50% of each other.

I always liked Alpines. The 610 looks stunning even today.
That melted blue blob in the first post however.... :roll:
what can I say? The wheels look good, but that's about it

Renault just announced today they will sell 300.000 cars less than expected :)[...]
... they?ve shot themselves in the foot by launching their dacia brand in western europe. If you wanted a european, basic, small, cheap car ... you would get a renault ... but now, you?d have a dacia, for a lot less money. :rolleyes: How could they be so stupid and not think ahead that this idea will damage THEIR OWN sales most?

The alpine design concept ... not bad ... but nothing really exciting IMO.