Ownership Verified: (Possibly) My first sensible car purchase. 97' Audi A6 quattro - The diesel van

larswey

Car(s)
2007 Volvo XC70 D5, 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2.5
This is the thread for what could be the most sensible car purchase I've ever done.

The car is a 1997 Audi A6 avant, quattro underneath and a 2.5 litre R5 diesel at the front. All connected via one of the best gearboxes ever made, the 01E 6-speed manual!
Some rust was to be expected, after all this car has been living in Norway for 340k km (211k silly units(miles)).

Time for some photos. These were taken with my phone on the way home after picking it up, quality is shite.

20150129_163636.jpg

20150129_163703.jpg

20150129_163716.jpg

20150129_163724.jpg

20150129_164014.jpg

As you can see, some TLC is needed. My boss owns a body-shop so I'll get all the rust taken care of for next-to-nothing by professionals :D

Here's the VAN-part.

20150129_163820.jpg

This will come in handy on the roadtrip this summer, it will fit a 90x200 matress perfectly with some room on the side for random stuff. There is also storage under the front, I'll be installing an inverter there for 220v AC.

Driving position:
20150129_164032.jpg

The steering wheel is pretty worn out on the top, will replace for a used one or have it re-leathered. Sports-seats are very comfy and in good condition but in need of cleaning.

Proof-pic!
LtVtDuK.jpg

Timing-belt, water pump with pulleys was replaced a couple of days ago, same with front left wheel-bearing.

More info and photos will arrive here during progress on the car.

Last edited:
Nice! reminds me of my first car! Granted I had a different motor, but still...

A 2.5 R5 TDI is barely broken in at 340,000. The engine is just as reliable as the V6 2.5 TDI is bad. :D

I'm a bit sad i never got to own a V70 with that engine. They all had 500,000 on them by the time I decided it would be nice to have one. :)

Yeah, the engine is bulletproof. I'm on the lookout for a V70 2.5tdi for my mom :)

The engine is just as reliable as the V6 2.5 TDI is bad. :D

I honestly think this 2.5 TDI V6 problem thingy is just some weird thing on the internet... we have three of those in my family, all high miler, none of those ever had any problems.
This is the internet, you see way more people complaining about problems (people who probably don't know how to take car of a car) than complimenting a manufacturer on the engine. Same with the 3.2 FSI.

Anyhow, congrats lars on that car! I love estates where you can put a matress in the back, ultimate road trip machine. :D

Nice wagon! Last year of the C4 generation,right?

I liked the color too,i always love dark green cars:D

Swapped over the fresh snow-tires I had on my older 2.6 today
thTXZ2P.jpg

I also discovered why the car was shaking badly at some speed...
DNpouc8.jpg

Need a new tie-rod end, replacing this next week long with an alignment check.

Last edited:
What tires are those? Doesn't look like nordic winter tires to me. :p

I honestly think this 2.5 TDI V6 problem thingy is just some weird thing on the internet... we have three of those in my family, all high miler, none of those ever had any problems.

They did make a better version of it, but it has a really bad reputation for bad cam lubrication. Tons and tons and tons of these engines have had their camshafts replaced.

The only reason to get the V6 TDI IMO is if you want quattro and tiptronic. You could have a 1.9 TDI 130 with either or, but not both. It does sound nice, though.

Those are Nokian Hakkapelita R from 2008...

And yeah, the V6 TDI does make a great sound!

Wow, a manual, diesel, wagon! Are you a motoring journalist?

^Imagine if it was brown!

Anyways, the C4 has always been a bit of a favorite of mine, especially the avant. Enjoy the ol' panzer!

They did make a better version of it, but it has a really bad reputation for bad cam lubrication. Tons and tons and tons of these engines have had their camshafts replaced.

When I was looking at buying a Touareg, I was warned by several people about the R5 2.5 TDI having bad cam lubrication and often needing new camshafts. The only prevention to premature cam wear according to most reports was to use the correct old spec oil which was superseded in the VW world and was thus pretty much unavailable.

It was a weird situation in which only a couple of model years were apparently affected, and you would have descriptions on bottles of Mobil 1 saying "suitable for all VW pumpe-duse diesel engines*

*excluding 2004-2006 Touareg R5 TDI"

I didn't know the Touareg came with an R5 tdi. Edit: wiki says they did, and its apparently a brand new engine and nothing like the good old AAT/AEL 5er :cool:
Anyways, I've bought most of the stuff I need for a decent service today. Flushing oil, oil, and additives and windscreen wipers. I've also ordered filters and heated mirror glass (heat doesnt work and the surface is coming lose from behind the glass) and tie-rod end along with a new front left indicator (glass is broken).

Will do the service some time during next week if I can find time for it. Uploading a photo later.

Last edited:
*Update*

I've replaced the mirror glass on both sides!
16292550900_393628245a_b.jpg

Reason for replacing:
15857459544_4fdb1f2fab_b.jpg

-
16453988306_cebcac73f5_b.jpg

--

I also changed the oil/filter yesterday.
15859888433_86e819cd3b_b.jpg

I'm planning on blocking out the EGR, but for now I just took it off and cleaned it

16292569410_7df3d53037_b.jpg

16478261711_c9a829584c_b.jpg

I've heard these things can be a pita to clean, luckily the first stuff I tried worked like a charm! Acid based rim-cleaner :cool: I dont have any pre-cleaning photos, but it was clogged with soot.

Any difference in engine behaviour?

It does seem to idle smoother :cool:

Had a slow day at work so I decided to install the wind-deflectors.

16479932292_fbf560d6db_b.jpg

15860782403_7f7c0cf25f_b.jpg

I know not everyone likes this, but I have them there for practicality. They will help when I sleep in the car during road-trips :D

I also got a reservation for an MOT tomorrow, so I installed the new front left indicator since it was broken.

16482061601_5c4be663c7_b.jpg