Post a pic of yourself

Getting into the christmas spirit with some festive headwear.
4174266243_f8a6735844.jpg

4175025902_3f05118c5c.jpg

4174269399_0897fb9bb6.jpg

I especially like the Vocoder dude saying "muthafuckaaaa" 48 times :lol:
I heard that Buy U a Drank song when it came out and then and there I decided I must erase all knowledge of this Autotune-using freak from my mind.
Can I get one thing clear? Are either of you referring to the ear-gougingly ugly robot voice (possibly) pioneered by Cher and mercilessly ripped to shreds by an early episode of South Park, and for another example that "one more time we're gonna celebra-a-a-ate" bilge as written by someone I don't know the name of but was also all over the charts like an incurable rash? I need to know there is a real name for my pain.

One day I'm going to build a massive torture chamber and inflict all sorts of inhumane punishments on anyone who so much as thinks of using the robot voice in their next hit single.

Can I get one thing clear? Are either of you referring to the ear-gougingly ugly robot voice (possibly) pioneered by Cher and mercilessly ripped to shreds by an early episode of South Park, and for another example that "one more time we're gonna celebra-a-a-ate" bilge as written by someone I don't know the name of but was also all over the charts like an incurable rash? I need to know there is a real name for my pain.

One day I'm going to build a massive torture chamber and inflict all sorts of inhumane punishments on anyone who so much as thinks of using the robot voice in their next hit single.

Call me up and I will gladly help. :nod:

That's what I'm referring to... the Vocoder and Autotune seem similar but I think Vocoder is actually the robotic voice thing, becuase I know some 'legitimate' singers use Autotune and they don't sound like the Chipmunks.

^A vocoder and the autotune effect sound different, actually. A vocoder simply replaces the timbre of a voice with that of a synthesizer, following the envelope of the voice. So it can make your voice sound like a robot. But it sounds like a natural voice when singing. The pitch of the voice flows from one note to the other, it's not flung from one note to the next like for example a flute. It has a lot more legato.

The autotune effect which seems to be so popular today is done some other way. Autotune is used for pitch-correction of a singing voice. So when somebody sings off-key, or sings falsely, this can be corrected in the studio ... and sometimes even live, if the singer is at least half good. But autotune has quite a few way to tweak it. One of the settings allows you to manipulate how much legato you allow between musical notes. When you turn this down to zero, you get the autotune effect. The voice, instead of smoothly going from one musical key to the next according to how our larynx is designed, it jumps around.

Mind you, you can use the two together to create some damn cool ... or weird ... vocal effects.

the name for your pain is "T-Pain" :lol:

and I was only saying that I found the song hilarous, because it ridicules all sorts of wannabe rappers who sing like that

^A vocoder and the autotune effect sound different, actually. A vocoder simply replaces the timbre of a voice with that of a synthesizer, following the envelope of the voice. So it can make your voice sound like a robot. But it sounds like a natural voice when singing. The pitch of the voice flows from one note to the other, it's not flung from one note to the next like for example a flute. It has a lot more legato.

I've used autotune to correct errors in pitch when my guitar hasn't been properly intonated..

Haha, this should be the "holiday hat yourself" thread...

I refuse to wear a santa hat! :mad:

There is a VW beetle driving around town at present with a big red nose on the grille and large antlers afixed and protruding from the top of the A-pillars

That is because bug owners are insane.

Though normally I see those mostly on honda suvs :lol:

I've used autotune to correct errors in pitch when my guitar hasn't been properly intonated..

Yes, autotune works on everything, not just voices. But it's used most often on voices because most producers make sure that their instruments are perfectly in tune before they record anything coming out of them.

EDIT: You can also use vocoders on instrumental tracks as well to create some pretty radical effects. I love me some nicely vocoded guitars. That way you can make guitars sound like anything you want them to ... and still have the feel and smooth envelope of a guitar. ACID GUITAR FTW!!

Last edited:
Yes, autotune works on everything, not just voices. But it's used most often on voices because most producers make sure that their instruments are perfectly in tune before they record anything coming out of them.

EDIT: You can also use vocoders on instrumental tracks as well to create some pretty radical effects. I love me some nicely vocoded guitars. That way you can make guitars sound like anything you want them to ... and still have the feel and smooth envelope of a guitar. ACID GUITAR FTW!!

Here's a good example of what autotune does:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMbVPMzSqYY[/YOUTUBE]

I was admonished for not posting in here so....

http://img230.imageshack.**/img230/744/oktoberfestx.jpg

Im a blonde under there, but it was really really really cold up in the mountains of Helen Georgia.

Im a blonde under there, but it was really really really cold up in the mountains of Helen Georgia.

OK, point taken. You do not, in fact, look like an Allman brother.

As an Arsenal fan, I welcome you.