Post here if you bought/ preordered a PS3

I don't know how it was around the world when Microsoft first released the original Xbox but here in Finland they sold it so cheap they actually lost money on each console... not that MS can't afford it. ^_^ They did it because people were not buying Xboxes they were buying PS2s so yes I am hoping they will atleast drop the price slightly :) but even if they don't 360 is way cheaper than PS3 it seems.

Sony did the same thing on the PS2.

Sony did the same thing on the PS2.
MS is losing about $500 on every 360 they sell. Possibly more there are rumours stating that. Sony is goign to take a loss too but considering the price difference their loss will probably be less than MS. MS said they lost about 5 bill on Xbox as a whole.

Sony not taking as much of a loss may result in more people buying the 360. I know that the 360 is a little expensive even for my taste, after the wireless and everything I would need I'm at about $600 with an online package deal, with no to-die-for titles under $60 a pop I'm not that eager to fork out for it.

There is no way I'm going to pay what Sony is asking, hell that price doesn't even include cables. For the price of a base PS3 I could get a fully outfitted 360.

Last edited:
MS is losing about $500 on every 360 they sell. Possibly more there are rumours stating that. Sony is goign to take a loss too but considering the price difference their loss will probably be less than MS. MS said they lost about 5 bill on Xbox as a whole.

Actually Microsoft engineered the Xbox360 to lose very little, so that they can start actually making money off the consoles. I think the manufacturing loss on a 360 is somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 per console. Sony's losses on the PS3 are much higher ($400+ for the 60GB one).

The original Xbox lost a LOT of money, like $400 a console. The 360 was designed to be able to drop the costs quickly, once production got started. One way that they reduced manufacturing costs of the 360, was to produce it in solely in China, (as opposed to building it in Mexico and China, as they did with the first Xbox).

well i'm getting a 360 for christmas so i won't be buying a ps3 for a year at least. there is only 1 game that i like and the first consoles never work properly (just look at the PS2) and it's ?550.

end of story, case closed blah blah blah...

Last edited:
Actually Microsoft engineered the Xbox360 to lose very little, so that they can start actually making money off the consoles. I think the manufacturing loss on a 360 is somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 per console. Sony's losses on the PS3 are much higher ($400+ for the 60GB one).

The original Xbox lost a LOT of money, like $400 a console. The 360 was designed to be able to drop the costs quickly, once production got started. One way that they reduced manufacturing costs of the 360, was to produce it in solely in China, (as opposed to building it in Mexico and China, as they did with the first Xbox).

It has been said to be much higher buy gaming blogs/magazines/people in the buisiness.

You will have to be more specific, what is higher? The manufacturing cost for the X-Box, the 360 or the PS3? Or is it the loss per unit is higher, if so which unit, PS3, 360 or X-Box? How much higher is "much higher?"

Which gaming blogs/magazines/or people in "the business?"

Sorry, but I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

1up, oxm, www.kotaku.com (insider gaming blog) and other resources all say that MS is losign around $500 bucks. Even one person on the major nelson podcast said that they were losing large amounts of dollars on manufactoring, but couldnt specify numbers because or he would lose his job. I believe Sony will be losing more money than the 360 will.

Sorry lol I was just talking to the guy I quoted lol. Ill put some links up.
http://www.gamedreamz.com/
http://www.kotaku.com/

1up, oxm, www.kotaku.com (insider gaming blog) and other resources all say that MS is losign around $500 bucks. Even one person on the major nelson podcast said that they were losing large amounts of dollars on manufactoring, but couldnt specify numbers because or he would lose his job. I believe Sony will be losing more money than the 360 will.

Sorry lol I was just talking to the guy I quoted lol. Ill put some links up.
http://www.gamedreamz.com/
http://www.kotaku.com/

Right, because the blogs know what they are talking about... I trust gaming blogs for gaming news about as much as I trust Pepsi to give me news about Coca-Cola...

Also dear god, that gamedreamz site looks like it was written by a 15 year old... if you consider that any way reputable, you have lost ALL credibility.

I don't believe Microsoft is losing as much as anyone claims they are. They aren't dumb and the parts list just doesn't add up when considering the quantity they are buying them in. You can factor the costs however you want, making different things (like R&D costs, marketing costs, repair costs) part of the "loss per console" number. Straight manufacturing losses aren't anywhere near $500 per console. I can guarantee that MS doesn't pay $300 a PPC chip like most of the "loss estimates" say they will. A company as large as Microsoft won't be paying retail prices for their parts.

Last edited:
I have no proof but somehow I don't think Microsoft is ready to make any loss on consoles 2 generations in a row. That is bad bad BAD for business. Xbox 1 had to break through "the Sony barrier"... something Dreamcast could not achieve. :D Who remember Dreamcast? ^_^

Right, because the blogs know what they are talking about... I trust gaming blogs for gaming news about as much as I trust Pepsi to give me news about Coca-Cola...

Also dear god, that gamedreamz site looks like it was written by a 15 year old... if you consider that any way reputable, you have lost ALL credibility.

I don't believe Microsoft is losing as much as anyone claims they are. They aren't dumb and the parts list just doesn't add up when considering the quantity they are buying them in. You can factor the costs however you want, making different things (like R&D costs, marketing costs, repair costs) part of the "loss per console" number. Straight manufacturing losses aren't anywhere near $500 per console. I can guarantee that MS doesn't pay $300 a PPC chip like most of the "loss estimates" say they will. A company as large as Microsoft won't be paying retail prices for their parts.

Ya game dreamz does look like crap. But there is lots of good insider information. Even anaylsis have taken apart a 360 and said it costs (including bulk orders from manufacturer) that is costs over $700 USD. Just matters who you believe. I believe they are losing. Just my opinion.

Ya game dreamz does look like crap. But there is lots of good insider information. Even anaylsis have taken apart a 360 and said it costs (including bulk orders from manufacturer) that is costs over $700 USD. Just matters who you believe. I believe they are losing. Just my opinion.

Engadget proves us both wrong:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/16/sony-losing-mad-loot-on-each-ps3/

The Article said:
Turns out Sony will be losing change to the tune of $241.35 for every "premium" (WiFi and 60GB HDD) console, and a whoppin' $306.85 for the bargain-basement 20 gigger. In comparison, Microsoft loses $75.70 per 360 it sells, while Nintendo is laughing all the way to the bank with a profit per Wii sold.

I think it's hilarious that Microsoft and Sony can pour money from their other products into their systems, and Nintendo manages to actually make money selling just video games, and selling their systems at a much lower price. Nintendowned!:p

http://img226.imageshack.**/img226/8898/20061117lb0.jpg

Hahahahaha.
There's gonna be 400000 people taking sick days today.

http://img226.imageshack.**/img226/8898/20061117lb0.jpg

:lmao:

Now all i have to do is wait another 6 months before i can get one...

Which leaves me with 6 months to read stuff about it on the interwebs and decide whether it's the spawn of satan or gaming jesus reincarnate :cool:

This was me today. I bought my 360 and it started to rain on all the Katrina Refugees Sony Fanboys as I was leaving.

http://img301.imageshack.**/img301/1112/20061117mw1.jpg

Right now it's cold, foggy and a bit of a rain outside, I stayed up until 2 AM next to a fire playing my new 360 while the suckers are out in the wet and cold waiting for their PS3s to go on sale at 8 AM. I don't get it, why wait in line? Do they think Sony will stop making PS3s or something? Get your pre-order in and wait for the call that your system has arrived. Done. And there is no sleeping in kiddie play tents on concrete in the rain under a half million watts of sodium vapor lights for 4 days.

I don't get it, why wait in line? Do they think Sony will stop making PS3s or something? Get your pre-order in and wait for the call that your system has arrived. Done. And there is no sleeping in kiddie play tents on concrete in the rain under a half million watts of sodium vapor lights for 4 days.

I never got that also. I mean, why do that for anything else aside from concert tickets? To brag bout the time you spent in line?:rolleyes:
Anyways, since it will take months for those to arrive here (no official imports, MAYBE for the Xbox360) and will costs 3 times as much, I'll have time to read the reviews, wait for them to fix the bugs and decide which one to buy.
Oh, and enjoy your 360, Blind_Io!:)

I don't get it, why wait in line? Do they think Sony will stop making PS3s or something? Get your pre-order in and wait for the call that your system has arrived. Done. And there is no sleeping in kiddie play tents on concrete in the rain under a half million watts of sodium vapor lights for 4 days.

Or better yet wait about 1 year and buy a console that doesn't have any/has less hardware problems. I had too many bad experiences with my PS2.

http://ps3.qj.net said:
Hey, this whole lining up gig is getting serious, guys. Violent, too. We've heard of a dad lining up since Monday to secure a console for his son as promised. And then we've seen another line over at Circuit City in New York. And just now, someone hiring 50 homeless men to line up for him. And you thought you've seen it all?

At a Best Buy store, four people were shot while waiting in line, including a 27 NEWSFIRST reporter, Elizabeth Dorsett. She had been interviewing the PS3 fans when someone had opened fire on them. It was a drive-by involving BB guns and no one was seriously injured.

BBs as they might be, and not actual guns [shivers], those things still actually hurt! That kid who got creamed while lining up for Gears of War was one thing. Getting shot is quite something else entirely (even if they're just BBs). Police who are investigating the incident are on the look-out for suspects and are currently posted at the Best Buy store to protect the innocent people in line.

So, if you guys still have plans of lining up, better make sure you pack some stuff you can protect yourself with. You might have your tents, fold-out chairs, coolers, reading material, and beer. But when things get messy, don't expect to fend away the bad guys with a half-answered crossword puzzle at the back of your Reader's Digest.

http://ps3.qj.net said:
While some of you guys are worrying about lining up as early/late as now, other people have different things in mind. This was bound to happen. Some people are just so entrepreneurial that they'd resort to whatever extent just to earn more money. This guy, Abdul Salem, just hired 50 or so homeless guys to secure him a ticket stub for the launch, paying them a hundred bucks a day to line up for him.

A lot of you guys might be in a raging fit now because of this scheme of his. But really, business is business, right? Maybe even some of you would just get steamed simply because he's thought of it before you did.

In the news clip above (uploaded by hellomynameischrono), Salem explains that his master plan is to use these homeless men to line up for a ticket stub to buy him the consoles then put them up for auction (the consoles, not the homeless men). Hoarding and reselling PS3 units for higher? Sounds like a similar horror story which we posted just earlier. Too bad eBay's blocking such abuse.

Whatever the case, there's something worth thinking about here. If it's a free country, then would you rather have capitalism rampant enough to cut your chances of buying a PS3 or would you simply say that business is really just business? With those two sides of the coin, pick yours...

Stumbled across this ad for the 1984 release of the NES on YouTube.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXfvxdcb2gg[/YOUTUBE]

Man, look at all the stuff you got in the pack back then. :p