Post-Vintage 1936 Standard 12. It's a little rough.

Andeh

is teahte tbungafloed
Car(s)
Fiestas, Mondeos, Anglia, Austin 7, Corsair, Chrys
Good afternoon,

What the hell have I done?!

So without any planning at all, I've bought a Standard 12, by accident almost. I got word from a friend last week that they were buying a collection of classics locally, and this was included. It sort of raised my interest, but what would I do with a post vintage car? The club I'm in doesn't cater for these vehicles on their events, and it's never been considered the desirable period of British Motoring (well, not as bad as the 50s, some of those cars really were dull), but nonetheless, at the right price, sure. This was the right price.

Looked it over today, and after I'd removed the carpets piled upon it, and the cat asleep on the running board, I found a car that's much more sound than it looks. The paint is literally falling off in the areas, and the body definitely has it's share of filler, but it's on a strong chassis, and that's all I'm concerned with. The running gear all looks pretty good too, with a brand new stainless exhaust and other encouraging signs. It supposedly drove into the barn about 7 years ago.

I absolutely loved the look, and I aim to keep it externally exactly as is (maybe paint the bonnet it's correct black), and run it as the ultimate oily rag car for a year or so. It's not true oily rag, as the paint is far from original, but it has the age you would expect of such an old car, and frankly that's all the character.

Specs are:
1608cc Straight 4 sidevalve
12v electrics!
Starter AND a handle
Big comfy seats with picnic tables in the back, and a centre armrest
A boot lid that hangs down on straps to hold a trunk.

What more do you need in a car?! It's also got some oddly modern stuff, like a telescopic steering column, and freewheeling gearbox, as well as illuminated trafficators.

Proof pic coming shortly, it's up in my storage barn currently.

Oh, and the sunroof is missing. Ought to do something about that.

mx6a06f.jpg

xiRywnK.jpg

uvjsPyb.jpg

ZOIgnsT.jpg

fCpzPeG.jpg

ACPhraB.jpg

ez8p2Y1.jpg

bsjPysp.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you didn't pay more than a tenner for it.

Wasnt expecting that at all.

Have you tried turning the engine over?

That car looks amazing. It would look great like some sorta mafia car though, that's what it reminds me of, despite not being american. :p

Last edited:
Best car here.

Chop Roof
Lower
Drop in Rover V8

BRIT ROD!

That looks very good for a restoration project, then to sell it on.

Good find. :cool:

In line six perhaps?

Is that colour original, as it looks very jolly for a 1930s car and do you have the old original paper Log Book for it? :?

Clean it up, and then hire a driver to take you everywhere. Sit in the back and look rich.

Hmm, the engine bay looks like it might not be wide enough to accomodate a V8 engine.
Cut holes for the valve covers into the bonnet. It's a hot rod.

Surprisingly, Wikipedia doesn't seem to have any info on the Standard 12. That's a first.

You're right, nothing can be found on English Wikipedia, German has some info on it surprisingly.