Post your Achievements - New Jobs, Academic......

Doesn't your mentor have to check it before it goes to print? Or is your sister your mentor? :p

Doesn't your mentor have to check it before it goes to print? Or is your sister your mentor? :p

You turn it in, have three copies printed. One goes to your mentor, one to secondary review and on the the University's files. Then you get an grade two months later. Any checking with your mentor has been done weeks, if not months before turning it in.

Yeah, you usually don't turn in a thesis not thoroughly checked with your advisor (I've seen cases who didn't and it never went well). I don't know how many preliminary versions of various chapters I've printed up for mine.
After I turned my four copies in, I met another student about to do the same who complained that he had to spend over ? 200 for printing. It was really hard to keep a straight face (I had printed at the institute and binding had cost me ? 15).

Oh, this is the achievement thread... congrats then, narf! I hope you get a few weeks off now. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, you usually don't turn in a thesis not thoroughly checked with your advisor (I've seen cases who didn't and it never went well). I don't know how many preliminary versions of various chapters I've printed up for mine.

It's funny how different this is treated in different academic traditions: In Philosophy you usually only present excerpts to your advisor, not the whole shebang...

Printing, binding and handing in went off without a hitch.

He would have liked to get an advance copy to let some improvements filter in to the final result. However, when writing it within a week before due date that's not really an option.

You turn it in, have three copies printed. One goes to your mentor, one to secondary review and on the the University's files. Then you get an grade two months later. Any checking with your mentor has been done weeks, if not months before turning it in.

Four copies. Also, I have (had? :cry:) an office in our uni's highriser next to my advisor and a few rooms away from the professor, so any checking could be done easily.

After I turned my four copies in, I met another student about to do the same who complained that he had to spend over ? 200 for printing. It was really hard to keep a straight face (I had printed at the institute and binding had cost me ? 15).

Oh, this is the achievement thread... congrats then, narf! I hope you get a few weeks off now. :)

I did spend more than I wanted to, but that was down to a snafu in the color markings by latex. It set every page to color, even those that were purely black text. I had the option of printing it all in black & white, then printing single color pages that needed it and manually splicing it together, or of paying a bit more and not having to bother with that - also avoids mistakes.

Also, no weeks off. Not counting today I have four days off, full time job starts on Monday $_$ ... err ... ?_?

It's funny how different this is treated in different academic traditions: In Philosophy you usually only present excerpts to your advisor, not the whole shebang...

Officially we're not supposed to get corrections from the prof for the entire thesis, but he still wants to do that to get a better published result.

PS: Wrote this post yesterday, but the forum went foobar :(

Just finished registering for my final semester of my Master of Public Health degree. 2 classes and a buttload of internship hours is all that stands between me and another piece of paper. Also just got some acceptances to some med schools I've been holding out for, now comes the tough decision of price vs. prestige vs. distance from my home/friends. It's gonna be a tough one.

Just finished registering for my final semester of my Master of Public Health degree. 2 classes and a buttload of internship hours is all that stands between me and another piece of paper. Also just got some acceptances to some med schools I've been holding out for, now comes the tough decision of price vs. prestige vs. distance from my home/friends. It's gonna be a tough one.
What med schools are you looking at now?

Finally got my paper degrees in the mail, still working on finding a job to go with them though :(

What med schools are you looking at now?

Finally got my paper degrees in the mail, still working on finding a job to go with them though :(

So far I've gotten into Univ. Illinois-Chicago, Univ. of Chicago(the best school I've gotten), Rush University, Loyola Univ., Chicago Medical School, Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison, Drexel, Temple and Emory.

Rejected from Washington Univ.-St. Louis, Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, Southern Illinois(lower ranked but prefers rural background students), Wayne State, Univ. of Michigan, Univ. of Minnesota, Virginia Tech, USC(Cali not S. carolina), and UCLA.

Waitlisted at a few more, but none better than what I've already got. ]
U. Chicago-Pritzker is the best, but also the most expensive. UIC is the cheapest and still reasonable quality, only downside is its the nations largest med school so its a lot less personal. Rush, Loyola, Temple, Drexel are private and expensive they were my mid-pack schools that I knew I would get but wouldn't be too happy to pay for. CMS is my safety school, low ranked and easy to get into.
Univ. Wisconsin is a great school, just under U.Chicago but its Madison and if I'm staying somewhere cold it might as well be the city which I love and is near my friends. Emory is the only other one, expensive but cheaper that the other privates and Atlantas cheaper than Chicago. Also it has a great placement for surgery residencies and I would love to get out of the cold.

I want to pay for it myself instead of asking my parents. My dads an asshole and uses money to control people, and frankly I've grown tired of his antics. I also am considering joining the Army and having them pay, especially since I wanted to go to a service academy for college but wasn't good enough. My brother is in the Army, and I have a strong sense of service, but the downside is that they have a lot of say as to which residency you pick. I'm not concerned I would earn less in the military, I also wouldnt have over 200k in loans to pay off. If I knew I wanted ophthalmology I would pick the Air Force as they have the best ophthalmology residency in the country, I would do 100s more surgeries than a civilian equivalent.
Luckily if I pick the HPSP regarless of branch I get up to a 30k signing bonus, all my fees paid, and 2k a month living expenses.

Decisions, decisions.

two snowdays in a row. i'm not saying i'm responsible, but it's still pretty ill.

:dance:

Got the word today, my master's thesis is finished grading :dance:

Worse result than I'm used to, but about what I expected... compared to the amount of work that went into the paper, success :dance:

Congratulations!

Looks like all the recent hard work has paid off. Just got a 15% raise. \o/

Nice! Congratulations!

After last year's debacle, when I applied to 5 grad schools and only got into 1 (which I didn't want to go to at the end), I'm finally having some luck.

I got in Wake Forest University and Colorado University so far, and I am still waiting on 3-4 schools (University of Wisconsin is one of them).

And I have an interview coming up on Wednesday.