Post your Achievements - New Jobs, Academic......

Won best presentation in the undergraduate category in the 50th International AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting :D

Well played sir.

Would have been there myself but dumped all my papers into Hawaii (Fluid Mech) and Florida (49th ASM).

I by contrast are now qualified to drive a minibus.

Congrats coco! Goodl luck with the new gig! :)

Congrats Coco! But I fear we're going to see some puffalump-branded software in the near future.....
That'd be okay. (I think we might run into some issues with Fisher-Price over that, though.)

Just got my first real job offer for after school! Body engineering for FoMoCo! :D

Last edited:
Congrats!

Thanks guys :)

^ Congrats! :)

I've managed to finally sell my newish laptop. Yes it's for a bit less than the 650 I initially asked for but I'm so glad to have the extra money at the moment. I get to meet up at the McDonalds near the target at york galleria mall tomorrow around 2:30 (yes, I'm doing this descriptive typing on purpose just in case something awful happens to me...) and do the money exchange.

Such a sigh of relief...

Be patient, since this requires some explanation. I'm a food safety and quality auditor. Basically, I go into manufacturers of food and ancillary industries like food packaging and criticize them mercilessly for eight hours a day, and they pay for the privilege. If this sounds like my company uniform should include knee-high leather boots and a matching whip, yeah, I understand.

I'm a contractor, so no bennies, and it's pay-for-play, so there's no steady paycheck, and sometimes there are significant gaps (for instance, I only work Monday next week, then don't work again until the following Tuesday). But I enjoy traveling (there was that trip to Pennsylvania where I got to drive a Fiat 500 through the mountains, and three days in Guam in the dead of winter), I get paid for expenses and mileage (and make a profit off of that due to the cheap-to-run nature of the Mighty Fit), and best of all, I don't go into the same place every day, which I loathe. I actually quit a job that paid more, had a steady paycheck, and had benefits to do this. Midlife crisis? Check.

So, the firm that I'm associated with has had an expansion of their business. Last week, they called me and asked if I wanted to get into their consulting division. This particular ego boost involves lecturing executives on how little they know and how much I know about food safety and quality audit systems. The major boner, though, comes from the circumstances: audits are usually one day. Consultancies are usually three days. At double the hourly rate of an audit. And if I'm not doing a consultancy, I still get to do audits.

So, my paycheck's gone up significantly, I get to travel more, and I get to annoy people in new ways. And tomorrow, I audit a beer plant. Life is good.

Be patient, since this requires some explanation. I'm a food safety and quality auditor. Basically, I go into manufacturers of food and ancillary industries like food packaging and criticize them mercilessly for eight hours a day, and they pay for the privilege. If this sounds like my company uniform should include knee-high leather boots and a matching whip, yeah, I understand.

I'm a contractor, so no bennies, and it's pay-for-play, so there's no steady paycheck, and sometimes there are significant gaps (for instance, I only work Monday next week, then don't work again until the following Tuesday). But I enjoy traveling (there was that trip to Pennsylvania where I got to drive a Fiat 500 through the mountains, and three days in Guam in the dead of winter), I get paid for expenses and mileage (and make a profit off of that due to the cheap-to-run nature of the Mighty Fit), and best of all, I don't go into the same place every day, which I loathe. I actually quit a job that paid more, had a steady paycheck, and had benefits to do this. Midlife crisis? Check.

So, the firm that I'm associated with has had an expansion of their business. Last week, they called me and asked if I wanted to get into their consulting division. This particular ego boost involves lecturing executives on how little they know and how much I know about food safety and quality audit systems. The major boner, though, comes from the circumstances: audits are usually one day. Consultancies are usually three days. At double the hourly rate of an audit. And if I'm not doing a consultancy, I still get to do audits.

So, my paycheck's gone up significantly, I get to travel more, and I get to annoy people in new ways. And tomorrow, I audit a beer plant. Life is good.

Congrats! That sounds like a pretty sweet gig regardless, just because you're doing something different everyday. :D

When I was doing IT work for a certain place for a certain period of time, we were imaging PC's as part of a contract awarded to a big american PC maker. Anywho, this one person showed up to help and it turned out that she pretty much got paid by said computer maker to travel across the country and join people imaging for a few weeks at a time before moving on. Her next stop after us: Hawaii. Talk about seeing the sights and vacationing at night while making bank during the day doing different activities in different locales with different coworkers.

It's what I love about my intended career path after college: Technology Integrator/Trainer for a school district. I shadowed one in my alma mater district and believe me, her days were always different. I fucking loved it.

Last edited:
I got a job for the summer, and it's relatively awesome!

Brief explanation of why this is even more awesome: As a mostly-broke and entirely-unemployed college freshman, I can't exactly afford to live anywhere aside from my parents' house for a while. It's fine, I can deal. The annoying bit is, they're old and retired, and moved from our home state of Rhode Island to Florida last summer. I hate Florida, and I hate retirement communities. The prospect of spending the summer there really had me down.

I've just been hired to teach at a computer camp for the summer. (For anyone unfamiliar with the idea, it's like a sleepaway summer camp, except..with computers and such.) The pay isn't the greatest, but it includes room and board at the college campus that the camp rents out for the summer. The camp/college in question is on the outskirts of Boston. I'm really excited about having a job (with mediocre pay) and being near my favourite city instead of wasting away in God's waiting room all summer. :D

I got a job for the summer, and it's relatively awesome!

Brief explanation of why this is even more awesome: As a mostly-broke and entirely-unemployed college freshman, I can't exactly afford to live anywhere aside from my parents' house for a while. It's fine, I can deal. The annoying bit is, they're old and retired, and moved from our home state of Rhode Island to Florida last summer. I hate Florida, and I hate retirement communities. The prospect of spending the summer there really had me down.

I've just been hired to teach at a computer camp for the summer. (For anyone unfamiliar with the idea, it's like a sleepaway summer camp, except..with computers and such.) The pay isn't the greatest, but it includes room and board at the college campus that the camp rents out for the summer. The camp/college in question is on the outskirts of Boston. I'm really excited about having a job (with mediocre pay) and being near my favourite city instead of wasting away in God's waiting room all summer. :D

Congrats. That sounds like a fun gig even if the pay isn't the greatest. :)

After 2 months, ?650 and 1 failure... I got my licence, yes I'm 21 years late and there may have been 10 faults and 2 roundabout stalls.

I have no idea how I passed, I drove like a cunt and was quite dangerous.

Last edited:
Massive congrats!! Now go and get a car and just drive for a few months so you can learn how to drive :lol: But definitely well done; 2 months ain't bad at all, especially without driving outside of lessons.

Picked up some easy brownie points with the company by redesigning some management plans to include flight plan and fuel saving initiatives. Real world impact is very little, it's all very theoretical but upper management like it so I'm in the good books for a bit :p.

Had an interview back in November for a small software firm, pretty much lost hope through the end of last year... well, apparently they didn't have enough projects to need more people at that point in time.

So now... part-time software development job, will split time between the job and Uni somehow. Starting on Monday. :D