Post your Achievements - New Jobs, Academic......

I just got back from a weekend in Texas interviewing and meeting with the fancy watchmaking program. Got a call today from their schooling director, informed of "mixed news." First the bad, they think I'm a bit overqualified and overskilled for their program. My skills test scores were "without giving you a number and giving you a big head, very good" Then the good news, that gentleman talked to the director of the entire facility about me and they expressed interest in paying to fly me down, give me a bench test and potentially offer me a job instead. Further communications with them to follow, I've got contact information for the gentleman to call him and get some more details. This seems all so sudden. :dunno:

See the upside of that: In Texas your lovely Mustang will effectively stop rusting, and a well paid job will allow you to spend even more money on cars :D

I just got back from a weekend in Texas interviewing and meeting with the fancy watchmaking program. Got a call today from their schooling director, informed of "mixed news." First the bad, they think I'm a bit overqualified and overskilled for their program. My skills test scores were "without giving you a number and giving you a big head, very good" Then the good news, that gentleman talked to the director of the entire facility about me and they expressed interest in paying to fly me down, give me a bench test and potentially offer me a job instead. Further communications with them to follow, I've got contact information for the gentleman to call him and get some more details. This seems all so sudden. :dunno:
I've never understood this notion of being "overqualified." If it's what the potential employee wants to do, then why would the employer care? I've always thought it was just a business' way of pulling the ol George Costanza "it's not you, it's me" b.s.

Good luck with this, though! Sounds like you'll make a great candidate for them.

Overqualified means that as an employer, I am going to spend time and money hiring you, doing paperwork, maybe paying for uniform/equipment, spending time training you (means the people training you are going to be less productive), give you time to learn the job and become productive, which at that point you decide the job is boring / beneath you, and you leave.

Overqualified means that as an employer, I am going to spend time and money hiring you, doing paperwork, maybe paying for uniform/equipment, spending time training you (means the people training you are going to be less productive), give you time to learn the job and become productive, which at that point you decide the job is boring / beneath you, and you leave.
Fair enough, but wouldn't a written contract help solve this issue? Or is there a specific reason contracts aren't used in these cases?

They did mention some reasoning behind thinking I'm a bit overqualified. The first reason being much of their program will be review for me, meaning I'd be doing a lot of sitting through information I already know. Second, the primary purpose of their program is to make new watchmakers out of non-watchmakers for a net increase of watchmakers out there. Since I already have much of the knowledge and skills they wouldn't technically be making a new watchmaker out of me. I get where they're coming from and it makes sense. The main reason I want in there is that they're literally the best equipped and most modern facility of their type in the world. The (additional) training from them would be with essentially the best and newest tools and equipment and techniques and facilities. The training I already have is with older equipment and techniques (more applicable to vintage watches, in fact the school I already went to is the last one anywhere in the world to teach certain types of repair operations for watches which haven't been made in more than 30 years), while it certainly applies to the newer stuff, I'd rather my learning to use the new stuff be done in a class environment with proper instruction taught from the beginning, rather than taking what I know and hoping it applies to the new ways. I guess I just want to be a glutton for knowledge in this instance and learn all the different things. :mrgreen:

They are working on a program they call a refresher course, primarily focused on people in my sort of situation, it's going to be a shorter program designed to catch people up to the current standards and get them the same certification the other longer program results in. The trouble with that is they're projecting that program to start after 2015 or thereabout.

See the upside of that: In Texas your lovely Mustang will effectively stop rusting, and a well paid job will allow you to spend even more money on cars :grin:

Texas is quite a bit more humid than Wyoming, so in fact it will rust more down there. :lol:

Fair enough, but wouldn't a written contract help solve this issue? Or is there a specific reason contracts aren't used in these cases?

Contracts usually have an 'out' clause for both employer and employee, even if it's 2 or 4 weeks notice. I think, from my dim memory and an Econ course a while ago, there were calculations that it was 6-9 months before a new staff member actually started making money for a company over what it cost to recruit them.

98% on my Codes and Standards class final, 88% on my AC Drives final, and 97% on my Boiler class final. What does this all mean?

I'm now eligible to take the test for the National Association of Stationary Operating Engineers license. :D

Not much, but on Tuesday I'm teaching a 3 hour class on the basics of photography to a 12-strong group of international students. Now I need to figure out how much I'll be charging them since it's a volounteer group.

15 million dong.

Just finished the last final of my first year of college. That's 11 classes or 35 credits or quite the bit of coin in the bag. This has been an incredible year for me, living and learning on my own in New York City. My grades have been good and I've learned more than I could have ever expected. I can't wait to get back in September to start off what will, no doubt, be another year of awesome. I'm so lucky to have the opportunity to push myself at this level and to get to know the people with whom I'm in school and I feel just being here is a tremendous privilege. That I'm doing well is just the cherry on top.

Not much, but on Tuesday I'm teaching a 3 hour class on the basics of photography to a 12-strong group of international students. Now I need to figure out how much I'll be charging them since it's a volounteer group.

Many camels.

I got a summer job.

Told my boss if somethine else came, fulltime job then id take that instead. He said thats fine.

Then on my second day, my phone rings and theres a guy who offered me a fulltime job. Not only that i get to work with heavy machinery!

Much better salary than my old job.

I passed college algebra! :dance:

A solid C. Mediocre, yes, but believe me, i've taken this class (and the class below it) at least 2x.

Other grades (org. Behavior & Telecom/Distributive Processing) = solid B's.

Congrats :)

I got a pretty substantial raise :dance:

I still plan to leave that company fairly soon since they're a bunch of idiots and I can hardly take it anymore, but at least I'll be saving up some money while looking for something else ^^