Post your computer desk

Personally I can live better with a computer that asks me to confirm certain actions from time to time than the horrible Alt+Tab function and the illogical file explorer in Windows 7.

Nfy, the explorer in 7 and 8 is fine. Even on Mac OS it's OK.

I've been using 7 for years and 8.1 at work for nearly a year, can't fault them really or see a reason to go back.

Speaking of work, haven't posted a picture of my work desk for a long time.

Complete with obligatory monitor moustache, parrot things, tiny test page, phone with all keys labelled as 8 (Stanley Parable reference) and Land Rover pictures.

Also going back to Windows 8, it's great once you get your start menu in order:

what the shit? yes it is and no it doesn't. what have you been smoking? :D

No, rick. It's horrible. You're backsliding again, accepting the terrible for no apparent reason.

Only you would willingly go back to an operating system that was deliberately designed to be as annoying as possible to the user.

I did it mainly because my dad was using it to apply for job applications and I felt needed something stable and secure.

Windows 10 Dev preview became buggy (its a beta + I elected for the "fast" ring in terms of updated builds so I'm not blaming it) causing him to lockup in the middle of work.

I wasn't about to pirate windows 7 due to the stuff that people put in job applications and resumes. I prefer my OS to be secure and I don't know what stuff like activators and wga bypassers could be doing besides activation.

So, for someone who's utterly hopeless if I plop him on Linux (not to mention the multitude of job sites who expect IE for some reason) windows vista is a acceptable.

I won't doubt that it was buggy (I ran into a few of these on this pre sp1 reinstall. But once updated it was fine and I used the pre sp1 vista on my laptop when new without issue. I guess I got lucky.

Also, im with MacGuffin and actually like UAC...windows vistas implementation was pretty good IMO. :dunno:

Vista wasn't bad once SP1 was out though not a patch on Windows 7 obviously.

Since windows 10 will be available free to windows 7 users, I'll upgrade to 7 then straight to 10 within the 30 day "use without a key" period for 7.

Since windows 10 will be available free to windows 7 users, I'll upgrade to 7 then straight to 10 within the 30 day "use without a key" period for 7.

i wouldn't be too sure this will work... this would effectively mean win10 would be free for every and anybody, without any windows license, no?
(haven't read into the details, so disregard this if you're sure this will actually work)

New setup - TV also acts as secondary monitor. it works well for them most part. it's a bit laggy sometimes: my CPU seems to be the bottleneck.

gUHTQrz.jpg

Probably a VM.

i wouldn't be too sure this will work... this would effectively mean win10 would be free for every and anybody, without any windows license, no?
(haven't read into the details, so disregard this if you're sure this will actually work)

I have no clue haha.

Is that Windows 95?

I think so - I know Windows 95 OSR2 has visual updates that make it resemble Windows 98. It could be 98 with the gradiant titlebar turned off.

Probably a VM.

Nope, it was a youtube video about computer viruses!

Last edited:
As I said: I am not a computer nerd. That means I once set up the OS to my liking, followed some tips from experts and then left it alone ;)

So Vista works fine with me. It is reliable and steady. Also I'm using the Windows Mail program, which isn't integrated in Windows 7 anymore. We have Windows 7 at work and I really don't like the user interface of it. I know I'm a minority but hey, at least I know I am not alone ;)

I know, though, that with a new PC I will have to use a new OS. I still have my copy of Windows 7 in the shelf here and could install it anytime, if I wanted to. I would do it before I have to use Windows 8, that is for sure. But I hope I can use this PC long enough to wait until Microsoft brings out another good OS again.

Edit: Update! I re-arranged and cleaned all the cable stuff and put it in order. And put the PC on the table for better access. Also: New printer.

16299280531_c41e9a0a3f_o.jpg

:lol: a landline!

I no longer have a computer desk at home :(

The computer I am using now runs on Vista, has had zero problems. It does what I ask of it, who could ask for anything else? All I really use it for is surfing, playing Runescape and using a 7 year old version of Photoshop.

Like MacG, when this one craps out I will get the latest desktop, probably a custom job, with Windows whateverthefuck would be current.

As I said: I am not a computer nerd. That means I once set up the OS to my liking, followed some tips from experts and then left it alone ;)

So Vista works fine with me. It is reliable and steady. Also I'm using the Windows Mail program, which isn't integrated in Windows 7 anymore. We have Windows 7 at work and I really don't like the user interface of it. I know I'm a minority but hey, at least I know I am not alone ;)

I know, though, that with a new PC I will have to use a new OS. I still have my copy of Windows 7 in the shelf here and could install it anytime, if I wanted to. I would do it before I have to use Windows 8, that is for sure. But I hope I can use this PC long enough to wait until Microsoft brings out another good OS again.

Edit: Update! I re-arranged and cleaned all the cable stuff and put it in order. And put the PC on the table for better access. Also: New printer.

16299280531_c41e9a0a3f_o.jpg

Unless you have a need for Windows software, it might be worth considering Linux. If you can find a desktop environment you are happy with chances are you can keep using it until the end of time while still updating the software bits underneath so you won't be vulnerable as software is abandoned.

Here is a picture of where i usually sit at work:

The laptop is docked and connected to a monitor on the left that was left there by our it for reason they didn't remember anymore.
I am nearly the only person who uses 2 monitors at this workplace (one of the it-support staff members uses 2 monitors as well).

Unless you have a need for Windows software, it might be worth considering Linux. If you can find a desktop environment you are happy with chances are you can keep using it until the end of time while still updating the software bits underneath so you won't be vulnerable as software is abandoned.

As someone who uses Linux on his work desktop, fuck that, it's as terrible on the desktop as it is great on the server.

As someone who uses Linux on his work desktop, fuck that, it's as terrible on the desktop as it is great on the server.

Considering how terrible it is as a server it can't be too bad. :p

It depends on which Linux desktop, but it isn't for everyone (I use Macs personally).

Considering how terrible it is as a server it can't be too bad. :p

It depends on which Linux desktop, but it isn't for everyone (I use Macs personally).

Doesn't really matter which desktop, they all have the same problem of hardware support.