Post your computer desk

My Desk at my office
afd55cc31f93e429688d9a65384e5086.jpg

I realized that keeping the desk dirty and cluttered was making me demotivated to work every day I came in. Keeping it clean makes me calm and happy to start working.

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
I noticed that, too. I used to leave work at a reasonable time, and if i still had work to do, would happilly go home to work. My desk at home is a MESS and now I stay longer at work, instead.

i wish i have a desk at work ;_;

My desk at work looks like a shitty best buy threw up all over it.

IMG_20200113_172852.jpg

So I decided to post my desktop setup now that it's... Changed, a bit. And probably complete. The Dell Inspiron 15 3567 is my main machine, it's got an i7-7500U processor, which, along with a dedicated (Radeon R5 M430) graphics and a the price was the main selling point for me. I needed an inexpensive laptop for uni purposes, which did the job just fine, but once the warranty ran out and I changed uni courses, I decided to upgrade. It'll hopefully serve me through the uni until I find a job that pays decent money, at which point I'll probably need a new laptop.

It's been upgraded from 8 to 16GB of 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM, from 1TB 5400 rpm HDD to a 500GB SSD (the old HDD resides in an external el cheapo USB 3.0 case that resides under the monitor) and from a 1366x768 TN panel to a 1080p IPS one that came straight outta China (so it's not the best one out there, but still miles better than the one it shipped with.

The MacBook is a Late 2008 Aluminium Unibody MacBook, and it's here just so I can learn the basics of OS X/mac OS, which I need to learn for uni purposes. It was inexpensive and I'll probably hold onto it for a while and then sell it away. The previous owner upgraded the RAM to 6 GB, and I upgraded the stock 160GB spinner to a 240 SSD, which does more than fine for the system, and which will do more than fine for my dad to whom I'm planning to sell it.

The monitor is a Dell U2717D, a 27" IPS 60Hz panel which is usually connected to the Dell laptop, but now is connected to the MacBook for testing purposes. Actually, technically, it's connected to both laptops, but I can switch which one I'll use with the external display. It's a decent display and more than enough for my needs. It will be used as a monitor for a PC which I'm planning to build or buy and upgrade once the uni or a job requires so.

The keyboard and mouse are some wireless pieces of crap from Lidl that my dad got as a gift about 10 years ago and used like twice. They do the job for now. Far from perfect, but they do the job just fine.

The two iPhone 5s' and the 4th-gen iPod Touch are faulty and I bought them for peanuts just to tinker with them and sell them on. It's not a profitable thing to do, but tinkering with them makes a fool happy. I'd make a joke about me needing a girlfriend, but then, this hobby is cheaper in the end.

The camera is some crappy old Sony Cyber-Shot unit that I got for literally under a Euro. Or under a buck for the Americans (or just about a buck for Canadians and Australians). It works (tested), but I'm still waiting for a charger and two new batteries to arrive from China. The only two reasons why I bought it are because it was so cheap and because I though it would be nice to have something other than a phone to shoot with, especially when I'm e.g. travelling and don't want to drain my phone's battery before I have access to a power outlet.

That's pretty much it, there's also a pair of el cheapo Philips headphones that literally used to make my outer ear hurt because of how poorly they're made when they were new. But I got them as a present so I'm not planning to replace them until they crap out. They're tucked in behind the MacBook. Excuse the quality of the picture, the best I had with me was my phone, and I took the picture out of sheer boredom, and then remembered I saw this thread a few weeks ago. So all in all, nothing fancy, but more than enough for a university student such as myself. Oh, and I don't know how much can you see it in the picture, but the amount of cables is a metric shitton. Luckily I managed to tuck most of them behind the devices so they don't look like such a mess.

Last edited:
My allergy cough freaked my boss out so today I am working from home. 2 screens are needed so the desk was rearranged. Since the last photo, that PowerMac G4 has been sold and I've added an audio interface, microphone preamp, and audio compressor.

image06954a41aee04f6d4.jpg

I still find the ACD such an impressive piece of technology. Almost 20 years after the first aluminium model was introduced, it's still relevant (well, the post-2004 ones at least), and they are still perfectly usable. Not something you could say about a lot of tech products from the time.

That being said, I'm currently home with no external display. Surprisingly enough, my current workload doesn't require a second display, and I don't have enough space for it anyway, so I don't miss it as much. Anyway, my current setup is just the Dell laptop and a tiny portable HP mouse, which makes me miss the other bits of my setup, especially the external HDD (not because I need extra space, but because of the content that's on it). Also, my room is a bit of a mess at home, hence no picture for this post.

I still find the ACD such an impressive piece of technology. Almost 20 years after the first aluminium model was introduced, it's still relevant (well, the post-2004 ones at least), and they are still perfectly usable. Not something you could say about a lot of tech products from the time.

That being said, I'm currently home with no external display. Surprisingly enough, my current workload doesn't require a second display, and I don't have enough space for it anyway, so I don't miss it as much. Anyway, my current setup is just the Dell laptop and a tiny portable HP mouse, which makes me miss the other bits of my setup, especially the external HDD (not because I need extra space, but because of the content that's on it). Also, my room is a bit of a mess at home, hence no picture for this post.

Yeah, other than the resolution (20" @ 1680X1050) it's excellent still. I don't like the fixed DVI cable and proprietary power cable with external brick, but as a screen, it's very good.

I've been hooked to the videos from Look Mum No Computer and I'm just fascinated by his huge array of sythesisers. Well I realised that I have quite a lot of kit here now I finally got all of the connectors and cables I needed to plug it all in last week so here's a run down of the chaos that surrounds me.

DSC_4345_P_Stitch_Labels_S.jpg

Last edited:
That's an impressive amount of gear.

Here's mine now. Complete with the mug I got from @Galantti at the ringmeet.
That second monitor will be in use as soon as I get a 2 monitor stand.
97p7MAI.jpg

That's an impressive amount of gear.

It's a combined work table and computer desk so it's where I do electronics and finishing 3D prints, hence the number of different things. The keyboard has a very short cable coming out of the back that then connects to a longer cable so I can quickly unplug it and move it out of the way.

I blame Miatas.

1587424230835.png

As mentioned elsewhere, more desktop space was needed, as I need to fit the work machine alongside my own computer more regularly.

GIu4P8hkeO-WgB_rQ50Rqu_AHHfW6b6CsExpFp9cqcoEXSScaLHFfSU4mq1wkwTZihD_muL992gLxt7BCiawODBTfnEksEdmH1KHxo9DIAwui8Y9LtfWsk7D4or40mIaLRORooF-vM-HraWoZPlynF8PjqT2PGlas7BeX4F3L2wMaarPMnsiWt9qAkuQK8cp1K6XcKfSpoRS2gTT6w11Fdn_gdihS78RCX1f0XW0Kd1QMaOp3WohVEuupY1SreJxCzFroReRry32Z8tmXvOk4U_TShdcwHBCg-BLZ3BnSJC1_XkwCPftZfmgi84EW8ovWlffCoJw3v1vt1w3GLUZpaKa_TN1M0jb6UczcrqN_DK3h1BNzHJefgQbVYnz3gUBmbfVUb7-WM87aefO9YlUdv0pQopNCPBu7VtzLYf4ZrIv9wVN20-4AZGTh6ULZkvBiUjmQYW8WLLwJu9lXAUPzaahnbzvM4R7tpcrCRPfjFdOkkhnksW7eJBofvt6Wq2kyuCbEwN-HzZ9xVRbfnpwLKB_XbldC8QenLiPw2CPsaNg_f8qXASYGWViF_QwRACH8JT53SknMEY_BcEAqhKI-v2xEQE_4iEIAR5nC__Z-6oxe_9lB0Hq19D6s9vtXGD997wIz0JchNqHcEWvA8gFgMzC9StrN9RLDkKh-keaaMtgXVHUEhfiI_kAxV3Zdp-r4da0pTS8EzYJd95bjXajRqK69VMEu7zYKhqvrr6vh21wzztNOs4nhCI=w1012-h712-no

Both screens used by both machines. But since the natural keyboard is oldskool enough I didn't even try setting up joint controls. And switching helps to keep track which PC is being operated anyway. And at least for few days I can say; SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!

Current work from home setup. Work issued laptop and I use logmein to access my work desktop from my personal one.

I only start typing on the wrong keyboard about half of the time.

i-3R3XbDn-X2.jpg

Enjoy the game of iSpy of all of my random crap below the monitors. :p