Post your computer desk

The mac is currently hooked up to the monitor and shit, the Dell is at this point for kids and there is a Xeon based workstation not visible working as a NAS/server

Attachments

• 86CD3DDA-70D4-4546-829A-06FACFBDE124.jpeg
    86CD3DDA-70D4-4546-829A-06FACFBDE124.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 108
IMG_20200530_105846.jpg

Yesterday I went to a flea market and found a PS2 to USB adapter for just 1.32€. I decided to test an ancient IBM Model M keyboard we had lying around and to my surprise the adapter works. The keyboard seems to work as well (I think it just sat unused for at least 20 years) but some keys need a bit persuasion (they don't feel as clicky as the other keys and sometimes the keyboard won't register them, hopefully it's jut dust), but generally, I've been wanting to hook up some sort of a mechanical keyboard to my laptop for a while now, and this seems like it'll work. I jut need to give the keyboard a thorough cleaning.

Excuse the mess on the picture. I'm currently at my parents' place, and the whole apartment is a bit of a mess. This is more of a proof of a concept, it's just nice to know that I can use the old keyboard with my laptop.

As for the setup itself, the table is too small to be able to use the keyboard comfortably, but in Zagreb (where I study) I have a much bigger table than this one, and the aural punishment won't be too much of an issue there. Here my brother already started complaining, and I've started using the keyboard just minutes before I started typing this post.

Oh, and here's a fun fact: today is this keyboard's 30th birthday!

1590831201973.jpeg

I had no idea they built those things here. Should be plenty of guides online for taking it apart to clean it. Dug out the keyboard I had with my first PC (not as nice as an IBM) but can't use it as it has a big old AT connector on the end. It used to have an AT-PS/2 connector on the end but the two obviously parted company somewhere along the line.

Looking at the Wiki page info on the Model M, it seems a lot of European variants were manufactured by IBM UK. I still haven't got around to clean it, but I'm actually looking forward to experiencing how it performs once it's clean of two decades of accumulated dust.

I do also have some AT connector keyboards (a Cherry membrane one and a Mitsumi hybrid switch one), which I might test as well just to feel the difference. I even have an AT to PS2 converter/adapter, but it's currently in use with my parents' PC and some cheap Taiwanese-made keyboard.

They are awesome keyboards. My family's first computer was an IBM with a Model M. I used it exclusively until the need for the Windows key forced me to move to a Unicomp.

Cleaning it shouldn't be hard, you can pop off the keys and easily reinstall them. If the springs are worn you might need to go hunting on eBay for a spare keyboard.

It seems awesome indeed. Our first computer was also an IBM, as a matter of fact, we still have it lying around, with its original keyboard (the Model M I'm showing here) and the original monitor (which resides in our garage). Unfortunately, we had it when I was a kid, so I think it still has a match stuck in in the floppy drive. I'd love to give the computer a good clean inside out and test how it works one day.

The sticky keys turned out to be just misaligned springs, I just popped the keys off and reinstalled them, everything seems fine now. Oh, and the lack of the Windows key isn't a problem while it's connected to the laptop, as I can always use the one one my laptop's keyboard. If I were to built a PC (which I'm considering to do), on the other hand, I think I'd find the lack of the Windows key annoying, especially with newer versions of Windows such as Windows 10, which make use of it quite a lot.

Bought a 28" 4K monitor today to replace my old 21" 1080p, and received my portable laptop stand. I also took my Logitech K800 keyboard out of retirement.

Way better setup than what I was using before (please disregard the mess)

IMG_20201028_191808ba072b56d546c3ed.jpg

When the shelter-in-place started, this was our situation:
1604010641573.png

Shortly after, we realized we both can't work in the same room, with the amount of phone calls/videos we both took. I moved into the kitchen. (I've since greatly-improved my cable management):
1604010721724.png

Then, she was using just some extra desk legs and slightly warped desk top I had extra from some previous work projects (a benefit of working for an office furniture dealer). However, at 29"H, it was too tall for her, being only 5'0", so I was able to get a free height adjustable base from one of our vendors. So this is her desk now:
1604010869008.png

Cable management has also since been improved since this photo. That wooden box was just a platform to keep the modem and wi-fi router off the floor, but I've since magnetically mounted them to the desk leg. Also, the slack cables that go between the computer and the wall have been wrapped in a white flexible plastic sleeve, and those black cable ties for the cable running along the side wall/floor were replaced with white, and it blends in much better to the wall base. I still want to actually put in a rigid plastic channel to make it super crisp, but that would mean ruining the nice newly painted walls, so that was a no-go. :)

20201120_222319.jpg

Gena wanted a desk too, so this presented us with an opportunity to get matching desks. They were just some cheap ($110 each) desks from Amazon. I told her she needs to up her monitor game though. :ROFLMAO:

Next is some actual chairs. These kitchen chairs are a bit hard on the bum for more than 30 minutes or so at a time.

Oh man, dinner table chairs.....

I was in a process of moving everything back to my parents' place, including my workstation PC, so I needed to clean up the desk and organise everything. This meant a rare opportunity to take a picture of my desk without the clutter I usually put on it.

IMG_20201204_104849.jpg

The monitor looks messy because there's an HDMI cable around the stand in case I need to use the monitor with my laptop, and on the right, there's a mess of an aux-out extension cord because the PC is under the table.

Also, I've just tested the mic, which was just lying around near my parents' PC, and it seems that it doesn't work. No biggie, as a friend had the exact same mic when we were child and I can remember how crappy it sounded. I might want to invest in a somewhat decent mic, however, as I would have a use for it.

That mic screams 1999. lol

It does indeed! But then, if it weren't broken, I definitely would've used it for online classes. Even if the sound quality sucks, it's good enough for people to understand me.

That being said, my laptop's mic does a good enough job for uni purposes, but I still keep wondering if I could get something inexpensive from AliExpress or a used, more high-quality mic that would negate the need to set up my laptop for all online classes that require interaction.

It does indeed! But then, if it weren't broken, I definitely would've used it for online classes. Even if the sound quality sucks, it's good enough for people to understand me.

That being said, my laptop's mic does a good enough job for uni purposes, but I still keep wondering if I could get something inexpensive from AliExpress or a used, more high-quality mic that would negate the need to set up my laptop for all online classes that require interaction.

For the simple part of just hearing with clarity, a Blue snowball mic is fine. If you can find someone upgrading from that, I'm sure you could get one cheap.

My long overdue crappy Rosewill case to G5 transplant is finally operational! My Hackintosh has been living in the same crappy case I've had since college and I bought a functional-ish G5 several years back. @Nabster and I gutted it and he did most of the precision surgery over the past year to get the Mountain Mods mobo tray and back plate in. Over the summer, I decided it was time to get this thing done, so the transfer of hardware was made!

IMG_2988.jpeg

I really, really, really wanted to retain the front panel power button and USB. So I bought a custom pre-made cable and then found out I had the wrong front panel. Fortunately, those are easily obtainable. I spent about $60 in the pursuit of this, so I'm going to show off that it works, dammit. Yes, I know that I'm an idiot.

IMG_2989.jpeg

Next step is to finish out the internal hard drive cage so I can put all drives in there. And secure the power supply with more than gravity.

That setup looks awesome! I'm a really huge fan of the Power Mac G5/Mac Pro 1,1-5,1 case. And the 30" Cinema complements it perfectly, as well as the old-style wired keyboard.

Out of sheer curiosity, what's the speed standard of the front USB port?