Post your computer desk

I’ve had a little bee in my bonnet for a couple of years. It keeps buzzing about a PowerMac G4 Cube and how nice it might be to get one and upgrade it to something useful.

The cases are far too expensive, however.

I’ve had a little bee in my bonnet for a couple of years. It keeps buzzing about a PowerMac G4 Cube and how nice it might be to get one and upgrade it to something useful.

The cases are far too expensive, however.

It has the name Apple on it(or at least the symbol), what else do you expect? I do see them pop up for free on Craigslist on occasion though.

Can't deny that those PowerMacs look great, although the upside-down motherboard configuration must make things interesting when designing a hackintosh. Shouldn't be too difficult to add USB 3.1 to the front, a pair of screw-mount sockets with the big single connector can be bought for very little. Hiding USB-C in the Firewire port would be a really nice touch too. Damnit I'm tempted to buy one just so I can make that part with/for you. :LOL:

I still like the waste paper basket design of the Mac Pro, as useless as it would be for hacking. I'll stick with my Mac VM anyway for now, I only need it for organising photos

I personally like the PowerMac G4 towers because of the awesome flip down door for easy access. Of course the motherboard would be on the back plate in a pc hardware configuration, but it would still be easy.

I personally like the PowerMac G4 towers because of the awesome flip down door for easy access. Of course the motherboard would be on the back plate in a pc hardware configuration, but it would still be easy.
Can't fault the design but it looks... squeaky :p

Also I found this - what the actual fuck? It's actually slightly relevant to the thread though. :LOL:

1607362201336.png

How long before your leg would get stuck in the spring?
Judging by how small it is I'd be more concerned about falling onto it, you could end up like this poor guy:

1607369301202.png

I bought an Acer Predator 27” 144Hz display. It rotated and raises up and down. It’s so nice to have screen I can put at my eye level. 2560x1440. ?

Bought used from Facebook Marketplace.

20” Apple Cinema Display for scale.
B46547B7-9ABE-4B48-9491-34F21184AD75.jpeg

When the shelter-in-place started, this was our situation:
View attachment 3558861

Shortly after, we realized we both can't work in the same room, with the amount of phone calls/videos we both took. I moved into the kitchen. (I've since greatly-improved my cable management):
View attachment 3558862

Since this photo, while I had cleaned up the cable management sufficiently, we decided that this orientation just isn't working out. It makes the kitchen feel way too small. The setting sun in the window behind me also made terrible glare over the summer. I hate not having any privacy, though, so I kept it as long as I could stand it.

I've since turned it against the wall on the left.

I also decided to jettison the 5.1 surround speakers. About 3 years I bought some stereo speakers instead for a smaller footprint. I plugged them in for the first time today. They suck serious ass compared to the others. *sigh*

Pre cable management with the old speakers still in situ:
1608443726413.png

Post cable management. Gee...it's almost like I used to do some of this for a living. ;)

1608443820570.png

Yes, I know the desk is beat to hell. It was $129 from Target, like, 15 years ago. The keyboard tray glides are janky too, but otherwise it's good enough to keep everything off the floor and isn't particularly wobbly.

I need new speakers, though....

Ideally, I'd also have an under-desk computer holder. I actually have two. One of them can't support the weight of the computer, and the other would squeeze the glass in a way that I would worry about it breaking.

I'm amazed you got a Target desk to last that long. When can I ask to play Age of Empires on the Compaq Presario that desk was made for? :D

Speaking of Presarios. my current desk has a cutout designed to fit a 5700 series Compaq presario desktop :)

Keeping this clear of the Random Thoughts Tech thread for now, I did some modification of my desk-top plywood cabinet thingy tonight.

Before

During (the Makita cordless oscillating multi-tool is great for cuts like this)

After

tenor.gif

I'll paint it at some point, will need to take the Atelier off at some point because I still have the tuner and CD player to add, just wanted to see how it looked and to test these two.

Anyone using a standing desk? Is it the type that goes on top of an actual desk and can be raised or lower to become a sitting or standing desk, or something else? How do you like it?

I know you asked this a year+ ago but I built a desk for my new place since I was gonna be WFH for the long run. It's a birch butcher block countertop that I finished with water-based polyurethane and I mounted it on top of two motorized table legs that can adjust height to be sitting or standing.

I find that I actually end up being more productive and can think better when I stand and do work than when I sit. Although I tend to alternate standing and sitting every hour or other hour.

photo_2021-02-04_14-55-22.jpg

photo_2021-02-04_14-57-36.jpg

@LP , @LeVeL no longer comes around.

I would like to know how deep your desk is. I am going to build something similar.

Reactions: LP

I would like to know how deep your desk is. I am going to build something similar.

Ah I didn't know. I was just surfing through old posts.

My desk is 183 cm (72") wide, 61 cm (24") deep, and 3.81 cm (1.5") thick.

The reason I got this butcher's block is because it's solid wood all throughout, and the ikea countertops that a lot of people use are a veneer with only a solid piece in the very center which is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. You cannot mount that onto these table legs because they need to be screwed in. You can't also mount cable management trays or anything else, and right now I have two of those trays plus some screws to hold in a surge protector on this desk

In general, if using a pull out keyboard tray or a desk top riser where the keyboard overhangs the front of the desk, 24" is fine. If using the desk top for your keyboard, I'd recommend 30". These are based on the assumption that you don't want to kick your wall, and are the US industry standards for "real" office furniture.

Last edited:
In general, if using a pull out keyboard tray or a desk top rider where the keyboard overhangs the front of the desk, 24" is fine. If using the desk top for your keyboard, I'd recommend 30". These are based on the assumption that you don't want to kick your wall, and are the US industry standards for "real" office furniture.

In my setup I found it difficult to have the keyboard when I had just the one monitor because the monitor stand would jut out quite a bit, preventing me from pushing the keyboard back in. Now that I have the dual monitor setup, the monitor stand that I'm using is nice and thin so I can move my big mechanical keyboard in (push it in) and have something else there including the keyboard for my work computer on the left (the mac).

That ever changing lighting would drive me nuts o_O, but then to each his/her own...

It was appealing early on but now it's just a thing that happens, I hardly notice it honestly. It mostly is really nice to be able to see if the computer is getting dusty :p