Post your computer desk

Switching to a motorized Desk next week - ordered a set of legs as they were on sale. Was actually surprised how cheap those can be had (200€). Will aim for sth like 80x160 cm by just cutting down our current 220 cm desk as we never work there side by side (so in future we’ll share one space). I may also have accidentally ordered a 34“ WQHD (or whatever this bullshit 3440x1440 resolution is called ?) screen - need more real Estate damn it. Although maybe not quite as much as @LP :|

That ever changing lighting would drive me nuts o_O, but then to each his/her own...
That comment made me watch the video and holy shitttt yes I’d go insane...

Switching to a motorized Desk next week - ordered a set of legs as they were on sale. Was actually surprised how cheap those can be had (200€). Will aim for sth like 80x160 cm by just cutting down our current 220 cm desk as we never work there side by side (so in future we’ll share one space). I may also have accidentally ordered a 34“ WQHD (or whatever this bullshit 3440x1440 resolution is called ?) screen - need more real Estate damn it. Although maybe not quite as much as @LP :|

That comment made me watch the video and holy shitttt yes I’d go insane...

It's two 27" monitors currently stacked one on top of another for my personal machine. The one on the left is from work, 27" that used to be connected to my desktop and I just stole from my office lol. My laptop is stuck to the back of the monitor with velcro tape.

When we're no longer WFH in the year 2387 AD, I'll switch to a horizontal monitor setup maybe probably not.

Here's my current desk.

M1 Mac mini, running on a 43" LG 4k TV and a $20 Dell monitor, my old iPad mini provides a third screen to that setup with Duet.
The MacBook Pro is there until I've finished transferring everything to the Mac mini, then it'll go get fixed and my wife will inherit it :)

The desk is a standing Ikea desk, the LINAK bluetooth one.

My server is to the left, on the ground, with another one on top of it that I'm not sure what to do with at this point anymore.

One day I will find the key to keep a desk clean and uncluttered, but that day has clearly not arrived yet.

IMG_4456.jpeg

Last edited:
Good to see I'm not the only crazy one using a massive TV as a monitor. I don't know what I would do without all of the screen real estate now.

The wood finish keyboard is nice and I see a slimline Optiplex, does that have the bug where it doesn't boot up without a display attached?

Yeah, once you get used to it it's hard to go back. I considered just getting a 32" 4k monitor instead of the TV, but the price difference really doesn't make sense since I don't care for high refresh rate or great color accuracy for what I do.

Love the keyboard! I built it a couple years ago and I use it basically all the time :D

The Optiplex is a 7010 with a Core i7 3770, I used it as a pfSense router for a while but I replaced it with a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-X since, so not quite sure what to use it for now. As far as I remember it boots fine without a display on it, but it required me to have at least one SATA hard drive in there.
I also have a bigger server under it for network storage, that one runs a Xeon E3-1265L v3 running Proxmox and Docker.

It’s pretty nice! Fast and quiet.

The best part is how seamless the transition has been so far, all my usual apps have either been updated already or run fine in Intel “emulation” mode.

Finally got to the point where I could finish my above desk cabinet, it's been a couple of weeks but I'll explain the reason in the vintage audio thread.

Just as a recap, this was what it looked like before after taking the old kit out.

Now modified and with light/mic mounts masked up because they're glued in. This tape is cheap and terrible but it did the job.

I was just going to paint it in place but decided it needed a new coat all over so took it outside, added screws for the divider in its new position and blew it over with an entire 500ml can of satin black.

If you've never used one of these before, you're missing out.

Reassembly

Last edited:
Continuing to build my perfect desk.
I’ve just added a VESA arm for my Dell display, and an LED strip behind it for backlight.

909E6474-EA0D-44C5-BBD9-F62C4413CB52.jpeg

The strip is controlled by an ESP32 running ESPHome, connected to HomeAssistant for HomeKit compatibility. I’ve set it up to turn on and off with the TV, which is usually when I’m at the desk working.

77FC2D4C-2420-4220-B262-9DF858780A54.jpeg

IMG_3164.JPG

Little messy but this is how I'm working today. Standing up, work on the left (work laptop velcro'd to the back of the work monitor), car videos on top monitor (carwow review of the audi e-tron sportback) and miscellaneous on the bottom (in this case my electricity usage), but I'm doing forum stuff and telegram chats on that.

"I'm Mat Watsun and welcumm to Carwauw."

I just watched the E-tron GT. Yach.

• Haha
Reactions: LP

I keep pronouncing it in my head like a Canadian would say "eh."

The Audi Eh-tron. :)

I saw that one, the RS e-tron GT. I love that vehicle but man that color is fuckin awful. This is much nicer (even without the lady):

1614803302182.png