Post Your Watches

I wasn't planning on buying a watch today (or anytime soon, really) but I found out a local jeweler was going out of business. Everything, including watches, was deeply discounted and couldn't pass this up:
sEn4EVw.jpg

It's bigger than I usually go for, and certainly has some heft to it, but it wears nicely.

Not my first pick for a watch, but certainly I would buy it for a good enough price.

Stop... Penis... Erect... Yadda yadda...

Yes.
Even on my cheap Seiko I spent a lot of time just looking it go.

Same. My first Seiko 5 I got in high school had one and I've been obsessed with them ever since. It's like a transparent engine cover on an Italian sports car, but there's way more to see and lots more going on.

Well...I'm going to waste more time spending money I don't have on Chrono24 now ?

It's like a transparent engine cover on an Italian sports car, but there's way more to see and lots more going on.
And that Lange chrono is like staring at a V-12 with six carburetors and tubular headers.

Does anyone have actual comfort issues with bracelets? I've noticed that bracelets with a single link width are less flexible, but my arm doesn't exactly move that much where the watch itself is. It's an easy enough issue to visualize, but how much of an actual problem is it?
P3140640.JPG

Paging @Nabster

Thanks to a weird set of circumstances (which I am told are called "spring cleaning") I came into possession of this circa 90s Seiko 5 on a sad state of repair. Can you tell me anything about it? I'm on the fence on whether it's even worth getting it fixed or not.

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

They were about $100 new - I had one with the same movement but different face years ago - so I would say probably not but @Nabster is your man to say for absolute certain.

Serial number breakdown shows that watch was either made in October 1981 or October 1991. So if you're thinking it's 90s then October '91 is probably most likely.

That said, I think it's probably a goner. There's rust staining around the date window which is never a good sign to see inside a watch. Given the state of things it looks like it took a big drop at some point. It would require work to reattach the logos and date window frame if you even wanted to attempt saving the original dial, the hands may or may not need replacing depending on whether they're bent or corroded, the crystal should probably be replaced as well (which is luckily easy to source), and of course the full suite of gaskets should be replaced as well. If the movement is rusted you'd basically have to go straight to a movement exchange, I really don't think it's worth trying to restore a rusted up 7009. Unfortunately I'm also unsure whether there is a readily available new movement which is an interchange for it either. There are lots of Seiko modding communities that may have that information though.

My honest opinion is that it's not worth trying to save if it does have moisture damage. If it doesn't then it's iffy. If he watch has good sentimental of family heirloom value that obviously changes things though.

My honest opinion is that it's not worth trying to save if it does have moisture damage. If it doesn't then it's iffy. If he watch has good sentimental of family heirloom value that obviously changes things though.

That's unfortunate. I personally have no attachment to it so it's probably a goner. Thank you for answering!

What about this one that also showed up a couple of hours ago? Apparently my old man has never thrown away a ruined wristwatch.

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG

Try replacing the battery and see if it starts back up? Worth a try, assuming the battery that's in there hasn't exploded and damaged the movement.

It looks like watch dealers are offering deep discounts on their stock, and there's some somewhat tempting Girard-Perregaux Laureatos out there. I can't decide if they have a bold unique style or are too generic-brand in their styling, even with the real heritage behind the brand and th emodel.
1585363056486.png

The annoying with the Spring Drives is their thickness, at least the automatic ones; the thin manual winds are way pricier (though TBH rather close to a Laureato). As for the styling, eh, the Royal Oak is a bit much for me so I'm fine with some similarity.